Just In Time... But Was It Worth It?

Guest wrongturntaken

Thanks for all your comments! They really helped me write this chapter and i am really appreciative of them. This is really keeping me occupied over the two week break so hopefully updates won't take long.

Bit of a shorter chapter this time.

Enjoy!

Chapter 2.

Aden walked into the diner kitchen for the first time since he had been released from the hospital. He had yet to see Belle or Irene and was kind of dreading it.

Irene walked in and was surprised to see Aden stood there putting his apron on, "What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I'm usually on the roster for Tuesday nights," Aden told her confused at her shock of seeing him there.

"When did you get out of hospital?" she asked him and Aden could sense the bitterness in her voice.

"Uh… today," he answered knowing Irene was about to give him a lecture.

"Shouldn't you be at home resting?"

"Irene… I've been resting for the past five days, I need to do something," Aden told her. This was only the half truth, he really didn't want to go back home at the moment, there was something so depressing about living in a house where half the occupants were currently missing with no one knowing what had happened to them.

He had walked into the house that afternoon and realised he had only felt more alone at the time he tried to… He couldn't even think about what he'd tried to do, in his heart he felt that he really had no desire to complete the task, perhaps that's why he only took half the bottle; he just wanted people to understand just how much it hurt. He scoffed at the thought, what people? His Dad was dead, Roman was gone, Rachel was gone and the only other person that knew about his past; had deserted him.

He put his bags in his bedroom and wandered around every room taking in every nook and cranny, perhaps out of boredom; studying the place like he would find something there that he was missing. But he knew what he was missing and at the moment it didn't seem like he had a hope of getting it back.

"Well I didn't think you were working tonight so I got someone to cover for you but since it looks like we're getting busier, you may as well stay," Irene told him.

"Thanks… who did you get to cover for me?"

"Who do you think?"

"Oh," Aden said not knowing how he should be feeling because half of him couldn't wait to see Belle but the other half wasn't sure he would be able to stand seeing her; knowing that he wasn't with her.

Belle walked into the kitchen with her head down fiddling with her apron.

Aden swallowed, "Hey," he said nervously causing Belle to look up suddenly.

She gave a faulty smile back, "Hey."

And those were the last words they spoke to each other for the next three hours. Belle felt that it would be easier for her and she thought probably for Aden too, if they weren't to speak; as though without verbal communication they wouldn't feel what they did for each other or at least it wouldn't be as hard to deal with.

Unfortunately for the tactic, they worked under too closer conditions for it to work. Every time Aden would go to grab something, Belle would have somehow ended up in the way and his hand would brush against her causing shivers to go down her spine and her to feel as though she might cry at any second at the pain of knowing she wasn't getting his full touch. A couple of times he had leant near her and she could smell his natural luscious scent, she had to shake herself out of her state when she found herself closing her eyes to take it in.

Belle hadn't returned to the hospital to visit Aden and instead managed to find out about Aden's condition from other sources. Something she did far too regularly for Irene's liking. When July, the nurse had come in a couple of days ago Belle had asked how Aden was doing and July had told her that everyone at the hospital was concerned by the fact that he had had not one single visitor since Belle had left that first day.

That was the one time Belle had regretted her decision as her heart went out to Aden, realising how alone he truly was, but it lasted only a second as she realised Aden had to learn to be able to cope with life on his own.

Aden had caught himself staring at Belle for seconds too long when he was meant to be working. He couldn't stand the way they were behaving with each other. The silence was unbearable but if that's how Belle wanted to deal with the situation; then he wasn't going to do anything to upset her… at least not for those first three hours at any rate.

After that Aden decided he couldn't stand it any longer and if they weren't going to talk, he'd make them do something.

There was a plate teetering on the edge of one of the surfaces and as Belle swept past Aden to grab something he knocked the plate and it shattered all over the floor.

"God, Belle!" Aden yelled at her.

"What? That wasn't me; that was you!" Belle yelled back.

"…but it was your fault," Aden said eyebrows furrowed accusingly.

"My fault? You knocked into me," Belle exclaimed.

"Whatever!" Aden persisted.

Belle's response was one Aden hadn't wanted; she just shook her head and walked off. Aden couldn't let her go that easily.

"How could you do that Belle?" he said angrily.

"Do what?" Belle replied in an exasperated tone.

"How could you throw us away like that?"

Belle's eyes narrowed and Aden had never seen her look so angry, "How could I…? How dare you! After what you did… you're the one that threw us away Aden!"

"What… so this was about revenge?" Aden said harshly.

Belle's eyes narrowed again, this time in confusion, "No, it wasn't about revenge," she answered shaking her head and placing the plate she had been carrying on to the kitchen surface.

"Then what was it about?"

"It was about the truth Aden! I meant what I said… you can't always lean on me."

"I don't!" Aden defended.

"Yes, you do!" Belle said. She started to walk closer to him and Aden so badly wanted to reach out his hand and pull her into him. To feel safe in her arms like he was before; since they had been apart Aden had felt more insecure than ever. "Aden… you starting to see a counselor was great… but I'm just realising that when you said you did it for me; that was a bad thing because you need to do it for yourself."

Aden suddenly remembered a conversation he'd had with his Dad where he had told him basically what Belle had just said to him. That he needed to get better for himself and not for Aden. He suddenly understood what Belle was talking about.

Belle looked at him sadly seeing the look of comprehension that had finally appeared on his face. She turned around, picked up the plate and started to walk out of the kitchen.

"I miss you," Aden said quietly, looking at her leave. Belle only just heard him.

She stopped; without turning back and with a lump forming in her throat she replied, "I miss you too."

I hope you liked it.

Awww :(

loved it can't wait to read more.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am loving this so much.

The way you are writing this, I can see things from both of their sides. I am glad that Belle is not backing down and letting Aden's words make her feel guilty and take him back. Even though you can see how hard not being with him is for her.

And on the other hand I can understand Aden feeling like she gave up on them as apposed to trying to help him. He is alone right now and feels like the last person he had left has just abondened him.

The part about finding out that he has had no visitors made my heart ache( I should not be feeling this way about fictional characters)he truly is alone. I 'm glad this chapter wasn't longer (didn't think I'd ever write that)because I feel the scenes were perfect has it is.

"I miss you," Aden said quietly, looking at her leave. Belle only just heard him.

She stopped; without turning back and with a lump forming in her throat she replied, "I miss you too."

You are trying to make me cry :( Why is everyone making me feel sad :(

That was so cute and sad :(

Aden suddenly remembered a conversation he'd had with his Dad where he had told him basically what Belle had just said to him. That he needed to get better for himself and not for Aden. He suddenly understood what Belle was talking about.

You remembered that! I'm glad you did, because I'm not sure that anyone on H&A has! I really like this...it kind of going in the same direction that my fic is going, but not... I really like the way you write! :)

This was great. I like the fact that even though it sux that Belle broke up with him, you've made it completly understandable as to why she did it. I loved their little "Hey" greeting to each other, polite, sad, secretly happy that they were finally seeing each other and completly angst-ridden lol

Thanks for all your comments again, i am going to try and update every day if i can as i'm really enjoying writing this. This chapters a bit longer again but i hope you enjoy it.

Warning: Scenes of an 'intimate' nature.

Chapter 3.

It was three days later and neither Belle nor Aden were finding the situation any easier to deal with. Aden had been burrowing himself in to schoolwork, needing a focus to take his mind off his problems and Belle but when his teachers suddenly decided to give all the students a break and provide them with no homework for the weekend, he was the only one complaining.

Now it was Friday night and he had nothing to do, there had been no news of Roman, Nicole or Geoff and Aden had been getting gradually more worried as time went on. He didn't know what he'd do if he lost any more people from his life. He was even missing Nicole's princess attitude, something he was barely admitting to himself. He wanted to be out there with the others looking for them but his therapist didn't think it would be a good idea for him to leave so soon after what had happened.

His therapy sessions were going well, especially now that he had realised what Belle meant, she was right and this time he felt like he was doing it for himself.

That didn't stop him being bored on a Friday night though, there was nothing on TV and he didn't feel like going out. He was feeling quite depressed and kept glancing at the kitchen wondering if he should or not.

For a normal teenage boy this should I, shouldn't I wouldn't be a problem, but Aden had learned the hard way what alcohol could do. But he just told himself that one night of binge drinking couldn't hurt, it's not like he was addicted like his dad, he just needed a bit of a high to make him feel better, and he knew from experience that it did a job in numbing the pain, at least temporarily.

Two hours later and Aden had drunk a six pack of beer and was currently trying to make the empty bottles move with his telekinetic powers.

He heard the sudden sound of a key in a lock and for a fleeting moment thought that maybe Roman was back, at this moment, the thought ran through the tiny rational portion of his mind left, that he would probably get into trouble with Roman; drinking this much, so swiped at the bottles, making them fall over, as though it would make them disappear.

He looked up from the sofa as the door opened and in walked…

"Morag!" Aden exclaimed happily, jumping up from his position on the couch. "Wow," he continued drunkenly and with a huge grin, "…it's so good to see you! And Ross man!" he added seeing Morag's husband holding their bags behind her. He wrapped his arms around them in a big bear hug.

Morag frowned and she searched Aden for some semblance of him that she recognised as he pulled back, "Uh, Aden… are you okay?"

Aden smiled and nodded his head like a nodding dog, "I'm FanTASTic!!!!"

Morag glanced over and saw the beer bottles spread on and under the coffee table, "You're drunk."

"…and that's why you're the judge!" Aden said pointing his right hand index finger at her, "…you have one of these," he added moving his finger to tap against his temple. "You're a lucky man Ross," Aden said turning his attention to Ross.

"Oh, I know," Ross said nearly laughing.

"Is it just me or is the room spinning?" Aden asked them genuinely.

"Where's Roman?" Morag asked having had enough of this teenage angst.

"You don't know?" Aden questioned.

"Know what?"

"Where he is? Maybe you do… because no one else does," Aden pondered.

As far as Morag was concerned, Aden wasn't making sense, "What are you talking about?"

Aden paused for a second and then looking at Morag sympathetically and placing a hand on her shoulder told her, "Roman's gone," he paused at Morag's confused expression. "Nicole's gone," Aden continued. "Rachel's gone… my Dad's gone… and Belle's gone," with his last exclamation Aden's grin disappeared, he let out a hollow breath and his shoulders slumped back.

Morag's heart went out, which was not an easy feat to achieve, to Aden as she looked at him as a broken little boy instead of a normal drunken teenager. "What do you mean… gone?"

"Roman and Nicole are missing, Alf and the others have been looking for them for nearly two weeks," Aden explained slowly before yawning. He looked at his pile of empty bottles, "Can you go and get me some more beer?" he asked Morag.

"I think you've had enough to drink," Morag told him.

"I don't think so," Aden continued slurring his words together in a sing song voice.

"Aden," Morag said sternly.

"Morag," Aden answered mockingly. "If you don't get me some, I'm just going to go and get some myself," he told her grabbing the keys to the car that had been left to him after his Dad's death.

"Okay, okay, I will go and get you some," Morag gave in. She turned to Ross, "Will you keep an eye on him while I go?"

"Sure," Ross replied compliantly.

Aden and Ross waited for Morag's return awkwardly but only Ross seemed relieved when Morag came back, apparently Aden hadn't even noticed the awkwardness.

Morag wasn't alone though, she had run in to Belle on her travels and had asked her to come and help dealing with Aden as she wasn't quite sure what to do with him herself.

"Belle!" Aden exclaimed happily at the sight of her, "Do you want a drink? Jeeves will get it for you, won't you Jeeves?" he said to Ross.

"No, Aden I don't want a drink," Belle sighed; exasperated at the sight of this Aden.

"Come on, just one drink?"

"No, don't you think you ought to go to bed, you're looking pretty tired?" Belle said trying to deal with this as quickly as possible so she could get back home and crawl in to bed herself. She'd had a long day and she really didn't need this.

Aden looked as though he was thinking about it before saying, "I suppose, will you come up with me?"

Belle hesitated but supposed it was the only way she was going to get him in to bed. She nodded her head, grabbed Aden's hand and led him up the stairs.

When they were in Aden's room, Aden removed his shirt and yawned, he really was tired. Belle hadn't noticed Aden stripping as she was fluffing up his pillows.

Aden lay on the bed and Belle sat on the side of it, she looked at Aden's impressive torso and wished she could just stay here and curl up in his arms like she used to, but she knew she couldn't do that.

Aden looked at her, "You're like a teddy bear," he said childishly, moving closer to try and take her hand.

She moved it away, "Aden, firstly I am not that hairy, and secondly I can't be your teddy bear," she finished; shaking her head and realising that she had previously represented the security to Aden that a teddy bear would to a small child. It was odd that he could think that deeply when that drunk.

Aden just stared at her as though he was going to ignore what she had just said.

"Why did you do this, Aden?" Belle asked him.

"I don't know, I was bored!" Aden told her.

"…but after everything that happened with your Dad?"

"I just wanted to feel better, don't lecture me, alright?"

"I'm not lecturing you... I thought the counseling sessions were helping you feel better, are they not going alright?" Belle asked with genuine concern.

"They're going fine, it's just…" Aden looked at Belle; looking at him with concern etched all over her face. "…it gets lonely here sometimes." Belle felt a shiver run down her spine as Aden moved his hand and caressed her side so that it ended up clasping gently at her waist. He was looking at her with sorrow in his eyes yet seduction plaguing the rest of his features.

"Aden," Belle whispered trying to convince herself to get up and leave, but she couldn't bring herself to move. He moved his left hand up to her face and cupped her cheek. She held onto his hand with both of hers and held it there just wanting to hold on to his touch for as long as she could. He sat himself more upright in his bed and brushed her hair behind her left ear with his hand before using that one to cup her other cheek. She was looking down with sadness in her eyes.

"You're so beautiful," he whispered to her causing her to look up into his deep, honest and piercing blue eyes. She was powerless as he brought her lips onto his in a light kiss. As they drew apart he moved his hands away leaving it up to her whether they continued. She looked again into his eyes and this time voluntarily placed her mouth upon his and kissed him passionately. He took her right wrist in his hand and placed it onto the bare skin of his shoulder. She swept it down across his chest feeling the impressive outline of his pecs and then his abs as she moved her hand further down. She placed a hand on his neck and pulled him into her more as she felt herself being brought down to lie on top of him by his hands around her middle. They continued kissing until a loud noise from downstairs made Belle jump and her lips broke off of Aden's.

She looked at Aden and realised what she was doing, she gathered her senses and used his strong chest to push herself off of the bed.

"Belle, where are you going?" Aden said.

"We shouldn't be doing this," Belle said.

"What?" Aden exclaimed almost angrily.

"I'm sorry Aden, this was a mistake."

"…a MISTAKE?"

"Yes, I can't do this Aden, I'm going."

"This isn't fair!" Aden called out to Belle as she left the room leaving him alone once again.

Belle came down the stairs to find Morag and Ross in the kitchen. "Sorry about the noise Belle, I just dropped some pans on the floor," Morag explained.

"That's fine," Belle told her walking into the kitchen.

"Is he alright now?" Morag asked concernedly.

"I think so," Belle said although she wasn't quite convinced that that was true after what had just happened.

"What's gotten into him anyway?" Morag continued.

"Well, it's complicated but a couple of weeks ago, he attempted suicide," Belle explained.

"What?" Morag exclaimed.

"Yeah, with his dad's painkillers just after his dad had died."

"…he tried to kill himself and you've let him live on his own?" Morag asked Belle suddenly getting angry.

Belle couldn't understand the rising anger in Morag's voice, "I'm trying to make him understand that he has to be able to cope with life on his own."

Morag was shocked, "No one should have to cope with life on their own Belle! Don't you remember all the people that were around to help you when times were tough for you?"

"This is different…" Belle tried to explain before Morag interrupted her.

"…how is it different? Obviously Aden has been going through a really hard time, and for some reason you've decided to abandon him."

"It's not like that," Belle defended her self.

"Tell me, Belle, if someone close to you died, you would need people around to support you, wouldn't you?"

"Yeah, I guess," Belle said; flustered.

"So what makes Aden any different?"

Belle understood what Morag was saying but she didn't have the full story.

"You don't understand…" Belle continued.

"You're right, I don't understand. Now, I think you better leave, thanks for your help," Morag finished in a hostile manner and watched Belle walk out of the house.

Belle paused outside and let herself cry. She had done the right thing hadn't she? She was so confused as to what was right and what was wrong. All she knew now was that she wanted Aden, but that she wasn't ready yet. Maybe her saying it was for his own good was easier than saying that she just couldn't forgive him.

Soon appearing:

Drew? Cassie? Both?

I feel like I'm going to be starting every chapter with the words Great Chapter.

Once again Aden broke my heart. You are truly writing it in a way that I can feel how alone he is. The parts where he was trying to justify to himself getting drunk were my favourite. I bet that's how it started with Larry. I hope it really is a one time thing though.

I didn't like Morag for having a go at Belle like that. I know cares about Aden but I don't feel she has a right talk to Belle like that when she is unaware of all the stuff thats been going. And Belle is already beating herself up over her decison she doesn't need Morag on her case. Maybe I just feel that way because I still think Belle is making the right decision and even Aden seemed to realise it when he was sober. I don't want Belle to take Aden back because she starts second guessing her decison. But maybe she can still be there for him without being with him.

I love the idea of everyday updates. Keep it up.

Archived