The Olympics, 2008.

Guest stephyrose4

I'm not a fan of sport, but I'll probably watch the opening ceremony. So hard to support something that has taken away all my favourite shows -_-

I do tend to get a bit caught up in the atmosphere of these things. I like watching basketball from time to time (I was lucky enough to see Andrew Gaze play at the Sydney Olympics! That was cool) so I'll probably watch that if it's on :P

Mostly I'm planning to do a lot of reading :wink:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dare say this but I hate it. I do not believe that sporting personalities are heroes. I believe that they are sporting athletes. Nothing more. I REFUSE to let the Olympics on my Television.

People who fight in war's to defend our rights to live are heroes. Not people who run around in circles or swim laps in a pool.

I'm not a fan of sport, but I'll probably watch the opening ceremony. So hard to support something that has taken away all my favourite shows -_-

I agree with you

I dare say this but I hate it. I do not believe that sporting personalities are heroes. I believe that they are sporting athletes. Nothing more. I REFUSE to let the Olympics on my Television.

People who fight in war's to defend our rights to live are heroes. Not people who run around in circles or swim laps in a pool.

and you!

I don't give 2 craps about the Olympics, that's all we're gonna hear abotu in the TV 24/7 , Olympics this, Beijing that; while all my fave shows, such as H&A and Ramsey's Boiling Point are bloody terminated for weeks. Thank god for Foxtel! :D Sports people are definately NOT heros..... it's a disgrace IMO to label someone kicking a glorified red easter egg around a "hero" when there are the real heros like paramedics, firefighters, life savers and the civilians who rush to the aid of people in distress, risking their own lives to save others. THEY are the REAL heros.

I think it's just that seeing professional athletes who have committed their lives and their bodies, endured hours of untold physical pain and mental stress to achieve their goals, is inspiring to people who want to achieve their own goals. I think that's what people mean by calling them heroes. In some way, they prove the old mind over matter theory - Olympic athletes are capable of doing things that most people wouldn't believe the human body could do, and yet they do it. In their own way, it's like they prove that anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

The Olympics is also supposed to symbolize all countries putting aside their differences to participate in civilized games with each other, so I respect that aspect of it. To actually sit down and watch sport for two weeks straight though, for me, is not something I'm at all interested in.

Archived