The Trials Of Summer Bay

Guest maccaz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here it is. :)

Chapter 10

"I...I can't believe that this has happened." Melody murmured, staring at her legs. "Father Joseph was such a nice man."

"Do you know anyone who might have reason to want him out of the way?" Charlie asked.

"No..." Melody replied.

"Where were you last night at 10:15pm?" Angelo asked, his voice adopting a serious tone.

"Hang on..." Melody began, in shock. "Are you saying that I killed him?"

"No, we're not." Charlie replied. "Please answer the question, Melody."

"I was going for a walk on the beach with Geoff." Melody replied. "He can vouch for me. Right, Geoff."

"Melody was with me all night." Geoff replied. "Well, not with me, but you know what I mean." He then kissed Melody on the forehead. "Look, I have to go over to Axel's to work on a project. Dunno why Mr. Copeland paired us together, he just did. I'll just go get some stuff from Belle's room."

Meanwhile, Belle and Matilda were sitting in Belle's room, talking about matters of the heart.

"Well, if you love him, why don't you go be with him?" Matilda asked.

"I dunno, Mattie. Drew's been so good to me...but he's also been a right pain in the neck lately."

"So?"

"Well, I dunno if he'll reciprocate."

"Of course he will. He couldn't keep his eyes off you when we were at school."

"Well, there's also Geoff."

"Oh."

"Yes, that and the small fact that he raped his sister."

"So...how does this affect things?"

"Well...I just felt like I'd be betraying him and Annie if I did."

Belle's eyes then began to well up with tears.

"I'm so sorry, Mattie - you're going through something a million times worse, and here I am carrying on about how I'm in love with Aden-"

However, unbeknowst to them both, Geoff had just arrived outside the door.

"WHAT!?!" He exclaimed in pure shock and anger. Before Belle could open her mouth to attempt an explanation, Geoff, like a great white shark, went on the verbal attack.

"Are you crazy, Belle?! You know what he did to Annie...to my sister...your sister!"

"If you knew what me and Annie know, you wouldn't be so judgemental."

"Like that would change my mind anyway."

"Oh what do you care, anyway?? It doesn't affect or hurt you, or anyone else?"

"Doesn't hurt anyone?! It hurts Annie! It hurts me! You know, Belle...I've got something I really have to say to you. I really think that you're degrading yourself by feeling like that towards Aden. I also think that those feelings you have are disgusting and wrong, and I'm glad your mum died, because now she won't see what a self-righteous brat you've become!!"

Belle just sat there, on the bed, reeling in shock at the words Geoff had just said to her. Finally, her voice shaking in anger, managed a simple reply.

"How's the view up there on the moral high ground, you jerk?" she muttered before running out of the room and out of Leah's house.

"Hope you're proud of yourself." Matilda snapped as she went after Belle.

--------------------------------------------------------

Later, at the police station, Charlie and Angelo were working at break-neck speed, desperate to find anything on Father Joseph O'Halligan that would give them a lead in the case. Eventually, Angelo pumped his fist in the air with delight.

"Charles, come look at this." Charlie came rushing over to Angelo's desk to see exactly what the fuss was about.

"Turns out our holy man was a serial child molester. Over 60 convictions for cases that occurred in Sydney between 1994-96. He was also part of the so-called "Sydney 6", a group of high-profile Catholic clergy convicted of child molestation in 1997." Angelo rambled, his voice carrying real authority.

"So, our perp must've found out he was a pedo and launched a pre-emptive strike." Charlie replied. "Wouldn't be the first time someone's gone to desperate lengths to keep that sort of person away from their children."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Melody and Nicole walked along a garden path, talking to one another about Geoff's spat with Belle.

"Well, it's a complicated situation." Nicole began. "I mean, I'm just as horrified about what he did to Annie as anyone else. But if he's sorry, that should be enough to show he's not as bad as Geoff thinks he is."

"You try telling that to him. He won't have any of it."

"Guessed as much. So, where's Belle staying tonight?"

"At Matilda's house with Mr. Copeland."

"Wow, Geoff must've hit her pretty hard."

"You can say that again."

Just then, a hooded man appeared and clamped a cloth of chloroform over Melody's mouth. Nicole screamed and turned to run, however, she too was caught and chloroformed.

Ricardo looked down at the two prizes he had secured.

Well! Well! What have we here? He thought happily to himself. Two little piggies for the price of one.

End of Chapter 10

A/N: OK, so Ricardo has Melody again. But I promise there will be no Hostel-esque torture scenes this time around. Unless you WANT me to include Hostel-esque torture scenes, that is... :ph34r::lol:

Chapter 11

When Nicole came to, her head was swimming as she searched around in a frantic attempt to make out their surroundings. They were in a basement, with Melody still unconscious next to her. Her hands were handcuffed to the wall behind her. Nicole began to panic as she realised that she and Melody had been kidnapped.

Just then, a man Nicole did not recognise entered the small, dirty room. This man had long, straggly blonde hair and an evil look in his eyes. He took out the knife and moved it between his hands in an effort to terrify Nicole. However, when you have an ex-SAS member as your father, you learn a few things about psychological warfare. With this knowledge at hand, Nicole was confident that this strange man would not hurt her.

"Nice knife." she remarked sassily. "Perhaps you're compensating for something."

The man then moved swiftly over to Nicole and put the knife against her neck.

"Say that again and I'll slit your pretty neck." He whispered menacingly as Nicole squirmed. He then put the knife back in his pocket and left the room. Nicole then knew that this person, whoever he was, was the real deal.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Geoff and Annie were just getting changed after a long swim at the pool in Yabbie Creek. It had enabled Annie to take her mind of things and relax and have fun for a change. However, as they left, Annie began to hassle him.

"Why did you say all those mean things to Belle?"

"You know why."

"Even so, there's no need to be nasty."

"Aden destroyed you, Annie. And for someone like Belle, who is basically your sister, to even consider that she has those kinds of feelings for him is just wrong."

"And who are you to judge?"

"She betrayed you, Annie. She betrayed us."

"Look, Geoff, I'm NOT betrayed, OK? Belle can do whatever she wants with her life."

"Coming from someone who tried to fix me up with Melody."

"Listen to yourself! You're sounding to sound just like Pop."

"I am NOTHING like him, Annie."

"Look, if you can't learn to forgive sins, how on earth will you ever be a good minister? I've seen Aden, Geoff. And I know that he's genuinely sorry for what he's done. Just...go see him, and hear it from him. Please. For me."

Geoff began to squirm. He knew he could never refuse his sister any request she had.

"OK." he muttered, swallowing his pride as he did so. "I'll do it."

Just then, his cellphone rang. Geoff scrambled to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Geoff Campbell?" asked a grim male voice that Geoff didn't recognise.

"Speaking."

"Are you alone?"

"No, I'm with my sister-"

"Then get yourself alone. I want this to be a private call."

Geoff turned to Annie and excused himself. He then ducked behind a nearby tree.

"OK. Listen to me, and listen well, because I will only say this once. My name is Ricardo."

Only the directive that the details of the conversation be kept private kept Geoff from exploding with rage towards him.

"I bet you're wondering how I survived that riot at the prison. Well, I'll tell you. I was trying to escape through the walls of the prison, but the force of the riot caused the walls to come tumbling down on me. I survived for two weeks by eating small bugs. Eventually, I was able to wriggle myself free. Now listen to me very carefully. I have your girlfriend again and her other blonde friend as well."

"Why...?" Geoff whispered in anguish.

"Stay by the phone. I will call you again in an hour. Make sure you are alone."

There was a "click" on Ricardo's end of the line, leaving Geoff's insides racing with fear.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

"You sure you want to do this?" Charlie asked Angelo.

"Very." Angelo replied. "The people of the town deserve to know that their priest was a paedophile. Only then, will we be able to entertain the possiblility of getting any leads."

Just then, The phone rang in the police station. Charlie answered it.

"Yabbie Creek Police Station, Officer Charlie Buckton speaking."

"Is this the police?"

"Yes..."

"Put me on speakerphone."

Charlie promptly did so. As everyone within the precinct came in to see what was going on, the person on the other end spoke two words that chilled with their mere sound.

"Ricardo lives."

End of Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Geoff stood at the ready, his cellphone at his side. He was waiting for one of the most important phone calls that he would ever receive. Every time his phone vibrated, Geoff would jump, expecting it to be Ricardo. But it would usually be a text from one of his friends. Just then, the phone rang...again. Geoff checked the number - it was from an unknown phone. Geoff answered it.

"Hello?"

"Me again."

"You..."

"Oh, starting off with threats now, are we?"

"You lowlife...you completely traumatised Mel, and there's every chance you'll traumatise Nicole as well."

"What about me? I was traumatised too, and at the hands of a so-called man of God no less."

"Ricardo, listen. What that priest did to you was horrible and wrong. But that doesn't give you the right to take it out on Melody."

"Wrong. It gives me EVERY right. Christine didn't believe me. She LET it happen AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN..."

"Ricardo...Christine killed herself."

"You're lying."

"No, I'm not. She killed herself because her anger and guilt over what happened caught up to her and cost her her relationship with Melody. You must have had parents who wanted to love you."

"My father is dead. My mother's in prison. Your point being...?"

"You've been through so much. And your family couldn't support you. Don't let Melody end up the same way. Please give her back to the people who love her and care for her. Please." Geoff was practically crying as he said these last words.

The line went dead. A dialtone echoed down the phoneline.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Melody and Nicole were confined in their small room. Melody had since came to and had already informed Nicole of the horrors she had suffered at the hands of that sadistic madman.

Wow...That's messed up." Nicole replied in shock. "How you've been able to be so calm about it all is beyond me."

"It's easy. You don't think about it. That way, you can pretend that it never happened." Melody began to sob softly. "But being back here...it brings it all back."

Nicole was speechless. All her life she had seen life as little more than a giant shopping mall with the inhabitants as its' clientele - a place where you could buy whatever you want. That was why it was so shocking to her when her mother killed herself - she thought that the world was a place where everybody could be happy. However, with this and now the full revelation of what Ricardo did to Melody, she had seen a side of the world that horrified her. Nicole was usually unflappable, but this had rattled her.

Just then, Ricardo re-entered the basement. Nicole's eyes shot open as a sickening realisation dawned upon her.

"You lowlife scum..." growled Nicole in a menacing tone even she didn't think she was capable of acheiving. "I know what you did."

"OK, look." Ricardo began. "I know I've done wrong. But please let me explain-"

"Why? Just so you can make excuses for what you did?!" Nicole screamed. "You RAPED her! YOU DESTROYED HER LIFE!!"

"This is all to do with her family, Melody's family-"

"I'm not talking about Melody, I'm talking about my mother! You remember her? Natalie Franklin?"

The colour left Ricardo's face as another of his illegal escapades was unmasked.

"You mean, you're...you're..." he stammered.

"That's right, I'm Nicole. Her daughter." she spat. "You remember this? "Maybe you owe me?" Huh? DO YOU??"

"I'm sorry-"

"Too late for sorry. I was THERE. I saw what you did to her. She killed herself because of you."

Ricardo then walked over to where Melody and Nicole were seated.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" Nicole shouted. However, Ricardo untied both Melody and Nicole.

"You're free. Go." He replied in an emotionless tone.

"But...but why?" asked Melody.

"Call it an epiphany. Just...just go." Ricardo grunted.

"OK, let me just do this one thing." Melody replied. She walked over to a table and picked up Ricardo's pistol which lay there. Next thing Ricardo knew it was pointed straight at him.

"Not nice to have a gun pointed at you, huh??" Melody hissed.

"Wha-what are you doing?" gabbled Ricardo, obviously in shock now that the shoe was on the other foot.

"Something that should've been done a long time ago."

"You're not going to do it."

"And why not?"

"I know you. You've been raised to believe that murder is a sin in any circumstance. You won't put your soul at risk for simple revenge."

Melody glowered angrily at Ricardo for what seemed like an eternity.

"After you destroyed my life and Nicole's life, you don't deserve yours." she spoke coldly. Melody cocked the pistol and raised it to Ricardo's head.

"Who's the bitch now, Ricardo?" she whispered as she fired three bullets into his head. Nicole just stared straight ahead in shock.

"Well, what are you waiting for?!" Melody shouted. "GO!!"

Nicole didn't need a second invitation.

End of Chapter 12.

A/N: OK, Ricardo's not coming back, alright? He's DEAD. We're not going to be seeing him again. (Possible dream sequences an exception.)

Archived