Inside Soap Awards 2008

Guest Soapbox

Hollyoaks got it's British Soap Awards because of the hardcore fans on the DigitalSpy boards block voting, and voting god knows how many times.

It's a catch 22 really, although the magazines don't give a lot of coverage to the soaps which don't get as many viewers.....unless these shows are given the exposure in magazines (and promo wouldn't go amiss once in a while either) they're not going to gain viewers. Sally's exit was a prime example - a character of 20 years leaves, a landmark which I expect many ex-viewers may want to tune in and watch, just for old times sake.....but of course, nobody in this country actually hears about it, because too characters getting drunk in Eastenders is far more important. :rolleyes:

I will be voting in the Inside Eastenders Awards......whoops sorry, slip of the tongue, I mean the Inside Soap Awards.....as I do genuinely want to support the soap. But, deep down, I can't help wonder if it's a lost cause when the alledgedly unbiased soap magazine doesn't offer any support either.....

*rant over* :wink:

The problem is that magazines exist to sell copies to the public, and if you've got the choice of putting a soap with around a million viewers on the cover, or a soap with around 10 million viewers, it's a no brainer really! And Sally leaving did get more coverage than most Home andf Away storylines, there was a double page spread and interview with kate if I remember rightly, so it's not like it gets negelcted all together.

I think people underestimate the power of fans pulling together - there's been a huge internet campaign gonig on to get Hollyoaks more coverage and press, and it's been working really well.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite Hollyoaks being by far my favourite soap, I can safely say Home and Away got the majority of my votes. The nominees put forward in Oaks' favour was a real let down and boringly repetitive. James and Chris are good actors, yes and they have pulled off some great stuff, but this year? Not so much. Chris has been off screen for a large amount of time due to DOI so it's unfair to say he's got enough background to vote for him (Lets be honest, we all know he won best actor at the BSA's because fans voted as a consolation prize for losing DOI). James, although good, has been sadly over-rated this year. I'm a fan of his, yes and he is a good actor, but his acting hasn't exactly been gripping etc like it once was (I do blame the current storyline for that though). Andrew I can let slide, because he is good. Unfortunately, the ones are are ultimately the shows strongest at the minute - Ashley Taylor Dawson, Jimmy McKenna and Sam Darbyshire are sadly overlooked for the ones that - lets be honest - get the girls votes because they're "hot". Which is why Ray Meagher got my best actor vote. (I just realised when I read that back it sounded like I was calling Ray hot. :lol::ph34r: )

Same with my best actress. Kate Ritchie without a doubt. Emma Rigby was brilliant during the Anorexia storyline, so I wouldn't find it a travesty if she won. But the 3 H&A on there are my fave of them all.

I wouldn't be overly shocked if J&M got best couple. Even IS seem to be major fans of them and seem fully aware of how popular they are in reality. Either J&M or - try not to be too shocked - Bradley and Stacey, who again I find overly hyped, especially considering she had an affair with his Dad.

Best Young Actor went to Ellis Hollins for me. Not just because he's an Oaks one, but because when you do actually seem him pull off major storylines, my gosh does he pull them off. And the H&A ones on there rarely get the chance to show their talents.

Colleen - she just HAS to win funniest performance. Seriously. Carmel isn't even funny anymore.

Bad Boy is gonna go to Jack P. Shepherd or whatever his name is. And I'll be VERY shocked if it doesn't. I don't watch Corrie, so I don't care. It just seems so obvious.

Also, I find it very unfair that Gemma Bissix was put forward twice for Best Bitch. Jazz got my vote for that anyway. :wub:

Josh Quong Tart got my best newcomer vote.

Sexiest went to Carley Stenson and Chris Fountain.

Who has brought the latest inside soap magazine from the UK?

Theres a campaign from Home and away in why they should be chosen as winners.

Theres an Double page and and half of Home and away and why they should be chosen. And there are some spoilers for UK people. I will post some of the questions later. And some spoilers.

And Theres Irene, Geoff, Aden and Leah. And they answer the questions.

Aden looks hot.

Who has brought the latest inside soap magazine from the UK?

Theres a campaign from Home and away in why they should be chosen as winners.

Theres an Double page and and half of Home and away and why they should be chosen. And there are some spoilers for UK people. I will post some of the questions later. And some spoilers.

And Theres Irene, Geoff, Aden and Leah. And they answer the questions.

Aden looks hot.

i saw that! i think thats the most pages home and away have ever had in an englsih mag!

Not that it would make the slightest bit of difference of course, considering H&A never gets so much as a look into these awards - much like with the magazine itself really.

I agree with you on this, i remember the time when they had a page devoted to Australian news and gossip, gone have those days, i liked that page, i say they should bring it back.

I remember the days when H&A was able to get the main feature on the cover....nowadays its an EastEnders cover about 90% of the time.....H&A very rarely gets even a small pic at the bottom. I'm not the only one to have noticed this....

I seem to remember that the week Sally left on UK screens, a character of 20 years leaving a soap, more coverage was given to EastEnders' Shirley and Heather getting drunk and parading around Albert Square.

I found that shocking too. Sally left after 20years and no one (but the fans of course) battered an eyelid. Little publicity given at all to such a huge character and actress, that is one of the most recognisable faces in oz and well respected actress. I really dunno why the british soaps are given so much publicity - i find the acting soo bad it irrates me i have to change channel.

There is no point in voting in these awards, the british shows will have all the attention and of course all the awards.

I voted, but my votes were split between Home and Away and Hollyoaks. Some of the nomines were bizarre, that girl that plays Rachel in Neighbours for Best Actress, and Carmel and Calvin from Hollyoaks for Best Couple(WTF??? What about Warren and Louise??!!!). I couldn't give Best Actor to the H&A nominees, as I don't think Paul, Mark, or Ray have been particularily good this year. I voted Colleen funniest, I usually love Carmel in Hollyoaks, but Colleen has been hilarious this year. I'll never forget whe she was nearly hit by Ric's van when it was stolen - "hurtling at me it was!!!" :lol:. My beloved Aden and Sam of course were my choices for Best Bad Boy and Best Bitch. I can't vote for Jazz as I don't think she's actually a bitch, unlike Rachel <_< . I voted for Kieron in Hollyoaks as Best Newcomer, as I simply can't stand Geoff, and Miles is ok, but not as interesting as Kieron. I don't think I can really judge Sexiest female, but again my vote went to Hollyoaks, Jennifer Metcalfe is really beautiful, however I voted Mark Furze Sexieat male, he has the most amazing body in soapland. Oh, and Best Storyline? Sam's death of course. There really should have been a category dedicated entirely to Sam, like Best Sam moment, Best Sam facial expression, Best Sam criminal act, something like that.

Archived