Seven "unfazed" by Youtube

Guest ter06

Thousands of episodes of popular Australian soap operas like Home and Away have been uploaded onto the video-sharing website just hours after they screen on TV.

Many of the people uploading the episodes have had their channels listed in the world’s top 100 most recently subscribed by YouTube.

The 4,678th episode of Home and Away – produced by the Seven Network - was watched more than 4,700 times in the first 13 hours it had been on YouTube.

Episode 5,493 of Neighbours was viewed almost 1,200 times within 12 hours of being posted.

Seven unfazed

But Seven was not too concerned about episodes of Home and Away appearing on the internet, network spokesman Simon Francis said.

“YouTube is YouTube – it’s democracy in action,” Mr Francis said.

He also said the large number of internet users watching the program reflected how popular the series was around the world.

The majority of people uploading the videos listed their location as the UK and Ireland.

But Australian, Lithuanian and Norwegian uploaders have also become fans of the soap operas

I'm just going to add how it annoying I find it that there's half a dozen people uploading episode. Whenever anything "rare" gets uploaded, it's virtually blink and you'll miss it.

Yes that can be annoying but I'd rathey ten people upload than none at all!! I think it's pretty cool Seven arent keen to crack down on this. I suppose they know the majority of youtube viewers are in the UK and Ireland and doesnt make a huge difference to their ratings.

For Australian's we have one chance to watch the episode, so if you miss it, you miss it - so its fantastic for that, sometimes I prefer to watch it on YouTube because you get to watch it uninterrupted by all the ad breaks. Having said that, I dont really understand the logic behind having the same episode uploaded 10 times by different Users - and yes, I agree its annoying when you cant find rare episodes or clips, but I think thats more to do with the thousands of romance montages.

I watch the Neighbours episodes on the official site at times too, I think thats brilliant.

i'm glad people uplaod it to youtube and i dont think it matters that 9 or 10 users upload it because they upload it at different times.

i'm from the uk and its great to be able to watch it on youtube. also you can comment about the episode. i would be really upset if people were banned uploading eps onto youtube.

I'm glad people upload episodes on Youtube. Live in Norway and we are two years behind Australia and it's great to watch the australian episodes! Used to watch on youtube before I became a member at diwana but now I don't have a download program any moore and I rely on others to upload it to megaupload or youtube. I think it's great that seven don't mind, the get more viewers all around the world!

For Australian's we have one chance to watch the episode, so if you miss it, you miss it - so its fantastic for that, sometimes I prefer to watch it on YouTube because you get to watch it uninterrupted by all the ad breaks. Having said that, I dont really understand the logic behind having the same episode uploaded 10 times by different Users - and yes, I agree its annoying when you cant find rare episodes or clips, but I think thats more to do with the thousands of romance montages.

I watch the Neighbours episodes on the official site at times too, I think thats brilliant.

I also don't understand the phenomenon of taking the "Next Week" pictures from the official and puttng some music over them. If you wanted that effect, go to the official site and put your radio on at the same time!

I also think it is great that Seven don't seem bothered by youtube. I don't really think it affects their viewing figures as I get the impression that people watch the youtube episodes in addition to the televised ones. As alexx said it is good for Australians who miss the 'one' televised episode. Unlike us in the UK who get about 6 chances to watch the same episode!!

I also don't understand the phenomenon of taking the "Next Week" pictures from the official and puttng some music over them. If you wanted that effect, go to the official site and put your radio on at the same time!

That bugs me so much too! What the hell is the point?! It annoys me that people put the spoilers into a video too... what a waste of time and effort!! And I discovered the other day that people are now recording the sneak peek on their phone/video camera and uploading it to youtube! It's really bad quality too. Again what is the point when you can just go to the Seven site and watch a good quality version!?

I also think it is great that Seven don't seem bothered by youtube. I don't really think it affects their viewing figures as I get the impression that people watch the youtube episodes in addition to the televised ones. As alexx said it is good for Australians who miss the 'one' televised episode. Unlike us in the UK who get about 6 chances to watch the same episode!!

That bugs me so much too! What the hell is the point?! It annoys me that people put the spoilers into a video too... what a waste of time and effort!! And I discovered the other day that people are now recording the sneak peek on their phone/video camera and uploading it to youtube! It's really bad quality too. Again what is the point when you can just go to the Seven site and watch a good quality version!?

I don't like them either :(

Archived