You'll Aways Have Us By Your Side

Guest summer_bay_rules

Here's the next chapter. I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow so won't be able to update in a while, sorry guys! But don't worry, I'll write more when I get back!

Chapter 4

Last time:

Getting out his keys Ric opened the door and held it open for Matilda who stepped in and then her mouth fell open.

“Oh my God! You’re actually here!” she cried out, seeing who was sat on the sofa.

“Calm down sis, anyone would think we haven’t seen each other in a year,” came the reply.

“Henry!” cried Matilda as she rushed over and hugged her twin brother.

“So, this was a good surprise?” asked Henry.

“An amazing surprise,” replied Matilda.

“Well you have your husband to thank for that,” explained Henry, moving over and greeting Ric. “He arranged the whole thing, after I said I was thinking of visiting.”

“I knew you were up to something,” smiled Matilda, hugging Ric. “So no one else knows?” asked Matilda.

“Only Lucas, because I needed help,” said Ric.

“I have to call Robbie and Scott,” said Matilda.

“We tried to get Kit to come as well, make it a proper family reunion, but she said she and Kim were to busy and couldn’t get time off,” explained Henry.

Not long later, a knock on the door signalled the arrival of Robbie, Tasha, Ella and Gabriella.

“Uncle Robbie!” shouted Ella as she ran across the room to greet Henry. Robbie followed and hugged his younger brother, followed by Tasha. Gabriella, only having seen pictures of Henry, hung back and clutched onto Matilda’s hand.

“Gabi, this is your uncle Henry,” said Matilda, leading her daughter over to her twin after the other greetings were over.

“Hi, it’s good to finally meet you,” said Henry, holding out his hand to the little girl. Gabriella looked up at her mum who has nodding her along and then walked over and hugged Henry.

“I’m Gabriella, but you can call me Gabi,” she explained.

Later that afternoon, Gabriella and Ella played Barbie’s and Ric tended the BBQ. The rest of the gang had all come over to see Henry. Matilda sat next to Henry and passed him a beer.

“So, you’re glad I came then?” asked Henry.

“Of course I am. I’ve been dreading this day for ages, but you’ve made it good. I really miss you sometimes Henry,” said Matilda. Henry put his arm round her.

“I miss you too, but my life is in England, you know?”

“I know, and I understand that. Just as Kit’s life is elsewhere as well. It’s just hard sometimes.”

“Well I’m just a phone call or e-mail away, I’ll try and be better in keeping in touch.”

“That would be good,” smiled Matilda.

“Now, where did I put those presents?” Henry said, loud enough for Ella to hear.

“Presents!” she shouted and immediately dropped the Barbie she was holding and started jumping up and down in front of her uncle. Gabriella didn’t know what to do and so came and stood by Matilda, who pulled Gabi onto her lap.

“Right, for Miss Ella, here we go,” said Henry, pulling a wrapped present out of his bag. She quickly unwrapped it to find a statue of Big Ben, a t-shirt with Buckingham Palace on it and a puzzle that made up the British Isles.

“Someone told me you love puzzles,” said Henry, looking at Robbie.

“Yes, and I’m really good at them!” said Ella proudly.

“Ella, what to you say to uncle Robbie?” asked Tasha.

“Thank you,” she said and gave him a hug.

“Noah, here’s your present,” said Henry. He opened it to find a football, an England shirt and a union jack cap.

“This ball is the wrong shape,” said Noah, looking at the round ball.

“That’s what they play soccer with in England,” explained Henry.

“Now, Gabi, what do we have in here for you?” wondered Henry out loud. Gabriella smiled, glad to not be left out even though she had only just met him. She got handed her own wrapped box and opened it to find a snowglobe of Buckingham Palace, a t-shirt like Ella’s and a Harry Potter sticker and colouring book.

“You’re mum said she was reading Harry Potter to you and you enjoyed it,” explained Henry.

“Thank you,” Gabriella beamed.

“Right, now for everyone’s present. Luckily my trip now means that none of the kids are in school and so I thought this would be good. I have arranged for all of us to go on a vacation, that’s if people can get off work, which I hope won’t be too difficult.”

“That’s a great idea, where are we going?” asked Matilda.

“That’s a surprise, so is everyone able to go?”

“I don’t start work until Gabs goes to school, Becky I’ll get you off work, Mr Stewart will understand,” said Matilda.

“I can take time off from the garage, they can manage without me,” said Ric.

“Uni doesn’t start for another couple of weeks,” said Lucas. After another 5 minutes they came to the conclusion that everyone could go and were all looking forward to it.

“Where are you staying?” Robbie asked Henry as they were getting ready to leave, Ella was sleepy.

“Well I was hoping I could crash here,” Henry said, looking at his sister.

“Of course, we have the spare room,” smiled Matilda. “I still can’t believe you’re really here!” she hugged him.

“It’s nice to know that I’m appreciated,” replied Henry.

Eventually it was just Matilda, Ric, Gabriella and Henry.

“Who do you want to read to you tonight?” asked Matilda as Gabriella was getting ready for bed.

“Can uncle Henry read to me?” asked Gabrielle quietly.

“Why don’t you go ask him? I’m sure he’d love to,” smiled Matilda. She was happy at how quickly Gabrielle had accepted another family member. She watched as Gabriella walked over to Henry, tugged on his shirt and whispered the question.

“I’d love to, what are we reading?” he asked. She showed him the book and he smiled.

“High School Musical, I’m guessing you’ve watched the films then,” he laughed.

“Yeah! I like Troy and Gabriella and she has the same name as me!”

“Well, lets see what happens to them in the book then shall we.”

“Thank you,” said Matilda as she walked into her and Ric’s bedroom and found him getting ready for bed.

“For what?”

“For … helping me this morning, for bringing my brother here, for everything,” she smiled.

“Your welcome, it’s worth it to see you happy,” smiled Ric.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 5

“Are we nearly there yet uncle Scott?” asked Ella from where she was sat between Gabriella and Noah in the minibus. Scott was driving with Henry navigating using a map as he was the one who had booked it.

“Umm I’m not sure, the sign back there suggested it’s not too far but then it’s looked like that for ages,” replied Scott.

“Whose up for another song?” suggested Robbie. The rest of the minibus groaned as he had been leading them in song since leaving Summer Bay three hours ago.

Half an hour later everyone cheered as they reached the camp site and they could all get off the minibus.

“This place looks amazing,” commented Robbie, who had always enjoyed the outdoors.

“I’ll go check us in and sort out the equipment,” said Henry. They were going to be renting tents as there wasn’t room to bring them. The men all followed so that they could carry the equipment.

“I hope I like camping,” said Becky, the only one apart from the children who had never been camping.

“Don’t worry, once you get used to it its fun!” said Martha who was getting Katie out of her car seat.

Two hours later the group were busy having a race to see who could get their tent up first. Each family or couple would be having their own, with Henry sharing with Robbie, Tasha and Ella.

“Mummy, where does this pole go?” asked Gabriella who was experiencing her first holiday and loving it.

“Give it to dad and then he can nail it into the ground, then you can help with the undersheet,” explained Matilda.

Finally the winners were declared, Robbie, Henry, Tasha and Ella.

“That’s not fair, they had three adults,” complained Scott whose tent was only half set up.

“You’re just a sore loser,” laughed Henry.

Later that afternoon, the group were all sat near a lake. Gabriella, Ella and Noah were playing tag with Katie stumbling round after them, having not quite managed the art of staying up on two feet. The adults were all looking through a brochure about what there was to do in the area.

“Hey we can go quad biking,” exclaimed Jack.

“That sounds dangerous,” replied Martha, worried.

“They’d provide all sorts of safety equipment,” reasoned Jack.

“Oo we should go on a nature walk,” said Robbie. “It says here that’s there’s one all sign posted so you don’t get lost.”

“Well as long as there are signs,” said Martha, thinking back to the time spent in the bush after her and Jack’s wedding. After the helicopter crashed they had been missing for weeks.

“Oo jet ski’s over the lake,” exclaimed Lucas, who was keen on most water sports.

Later that night, whilst the women all made the tents cosy with bedding and the kids sat playing with Barbie’s, much to Noah’s annoyance, the guys were given the task of cooking food over the campfire.

“Just don’t give us food poisoning,” said Matilda, not trusting Henry.

“Food’s done!” called Jack a while later. They all sat round in a circle and ate before going on to toast marshmallows.

“Is mine done mummy?” asked Gabriella.

“Yep, it’s all ready to eat,” replied Matilda, sat with Gabriella cuddled up to her.

“How about some more songs?” asked Robbie.

“Do we have to?” asked Scott.

“It’s a camp tradition,” stated Henry.

After a forced round of 50 green bottles, led by Henry, the children were getting tired and so Matilda, Martha, Tasha and Hayley went to put them to bed.

“One day we’ll have a kid to put to bed too,” Lucas whispered to Becky, his arm was wrapped round her shoulder.

“I look forward to it,” she smiled.

“So, any wedding plans?” asked Henry. “I’d like to come over for the wedding.

“Well not yet, but we’ll let you know as soon as possible,” replied Lucas.

“It’s great being back in Oz, things just aren’t the same in England,” said Henry.

“Lets have a toast,” proposed Matilda as she returned to the group. Everyone lifted their plastic glasses which had wine in them and looked at her. “Henry, thanks for arranging this, a group holiday is just what we all need. It’s good to see you again and hopefully it’ll mean you visit more although I understand you have a busy life. Here’s to a great few days,” she finished. Everyone went round clinking glasses with one another and then drank.

When Matilda and Ric entered their tent they made sure to be quiet as to not wake the sleeping Gabriella.

“Mummy,” came a sleepy voice.

“Hey, I thought you were asleep,” said Matilda, getting into the double sleeping bag she was sharing with Ric. She was in-between her husband and daughter.

“I woke up,” she replied. Ric settled into the sleeping bag as well and then the three of them lay in silence for a while.

“Mummy, daddy,” said Gabriella.

“Yes princess?” replied Ric.

“Thanks for bringing me on holiday.”

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not updating sooner, I've had a busy week. Got my A level results last week and since have been busy with various things.

Chapter 6

“One, two, three, GO!” shouted Tasha from the edge of the lake where she was sat with Katie and Hayley. The rest of the group were on the lake in canoes racing each other. Ric was sharing a canoe with Gabriella and immediately got off to a flying start. The other teams were Scott and Noah, Robbie and Ella, Matilda and Henry, Martha and Jack, Becky and Lucas. To make it fair for those sharing with the children, in this particular race only one person was allowed to paddle.

“Come on daddy, faster!” shouted Gabriella from the front.

“Henry, we’re last, come on!” said Matilda.

“It’s not fair, you’re heavier than the kids, I have more weight to move,” moaned Henry.

“Yeah!” yelled Gabriella as her and Ric past the tree they were using as a finishing post. She turned round and beamed at Ric before giving him a high five.

“Mummy, you lose,” she said, looking over as Matilda and Henry just crossed the line in second to last place. Lucas and Becky were last as Lucas wasn’t very coordinated and went round in circles a lot of the time.

“Who’s up for jet ski’s now?” asked Scott.

“That’s a great idea, meanwhile us girls are taking the kids on the pedalo’s,” said Matilda.

“Are you going to be alright with Katie if I go jet skiing?” asked Martha, keen to try it out.

“Sure, have fun,” replied Matilda as she went to get Hayley, Tasha and Katie.

Half an hour later half the group were on pedaloes and the rest on the jet ski’s making a lot of waves and splashing those on the pedaloes. Martha beat all the guys in a race and was very pleased with herself. After a lunch of sandwiches and crisps, they chilled out before going on a walk through the bush.

“Mummy, can I carry my drink bottle in my own rucksack?” asked Gabriella once she saw the adults with theirs.

“You’ll only want to carry it for a couple of minutes and then will want us to carry it,” said Ric.

“No I won’t, I promise,” said Gabriella and so Matilda gave in and agreed.

“Right, who has the map?” asked Scott.

“I do, and Ric has another one. Plus there are trail markings. It should only take a couple of hours and we’ll be back to get the campfire going for dinner,” replied Henry.

The guys took the lead with the children following them and then the girls are the back. Katie was in a carrying case on Jack’s back, looking back and smiling at Noah who was pulling faces at her.

“So, you still glad you’re not in America?” Martha asked Tasha.

“Definitely. We didn’t have many friends over there, not proper friends like you guys anyway.”

“That’s the beauty of having family around you, a ready made group of friends. Plus a place like Summer Bay is special for those kinds of relationships,” said Hayley. “We felt the same in France, plus there was a language barrier, I never did pick up the language properly.”

After about half an hour they came to a fork in the path and they all stopped. There was a sign that said path A go to the left and path B to the right.

“Which one do we want?” asked Jack.

“I don’t know, the map here only has one path and I think it’s A. The map isn’t really clear, it doesn’t show the fork,” replied Henry.

“So which way do we go?” asked Tasha.

“Well, A implies it’s quicker,” reasoned Robbie.

“That’s rubbish,” replied Matilda. “Just because it’s first in the alphabet.”

“Well how do we decide?”

“What if one doesn’t go back to the campsite?” wondered Lucas.

“I still think path A is the way to go,” said Robbie.

“Who agrees with Robbie?” asked Scott, conducting a vote.

“Come on kids, stick with me, I’ll give you chocolate when we get back,” bribed Robbie. Immediately all the kids raised their hands and so did Katie as she copied the others.

“Hey, don’t bribe the children,” complained Tasha.

“Look we don’t have any way of knowing. The map is obviously out of date and useless, it only shows one path. Path A implies it’s the original path that’s on the map, which gets us back to camp in a couple of hours. So anyone else have any ideas?”

“Fine, who votes we go with Robbie’s plan?” asked Scott again. Robbie, Henry, Ric, Lucas, Noah, Ella, Gabriella and Katie all put their hands up, Katie smiling broadly. Her vote, if counted gave them the majority and as no one else knew what to do they set off down path A.

Archived