Dexter

Guest emmasi

I think this show is awesome. I bought season one on DVD because Foxtel wanted me to pay extra to watch it on Showcase. Pff. As though. But now that Channel Ten has picked it up, and it starts next week, I'm excited about more people getting the chance to see it. So, is anyone planning to watch it?? Has the blood-filled, morally ambiguous advertising, complete with Michael C. Hall and Julie Benz worn you down yet!? I hope so ^_^

I have to watch it for extension eng. Studying sociopaths and all. :P I absolutely detest blood and gore and anything that goes with it but this series is so compelling and Michael is such an awesome actor I can't help but want to watch more of it.

Yep, have watched almost the whole of the first season. Bloody awesome stuff (pun intended :P) - especially love Michael C. Hall's acting in this, and also Seargeant James "Mutha-f**kin'" Doakes. Do you think that the overall tone of the show (i.e: possibly getting viewers to sympathize with a serial killer) will draw the ire of self-proclaimed moral guardians a la Californication?

Yep, have watched almost the whole of the first season. Bloody awesome stuff (pun intended :P) - especially love Michael C. Hall's acting in this, and also Seargeant James "Mutha-f**kin'" Doakes. Do you think that the overall tone of the show (i.e: possibly getting viewers to sympathize with a serial killer) will draw the ire of self-proclaimed moral guardians a la Californication?

It's my number one fear. Although to be fair, this show is much more sophisticated than Californication. It asks uncomfortable questions about human nature, and Dexter is aware that his behaviour is abnormal, so it's not really advocating that everyone should get out there and start killing people, it's more about how someone who already has that urge could channel it so that innocent people don't get hurt. It's surprisingly moralistic. Californication was just... amoral for the sake of it. Very shallow. As much as I wanted to like it for David Duchovny, there was nothing there to hold my interest. Which I guess is why it's no longer with us. Morals aside, the semi-graphic nature of Dexter might get a few people offside.

Speaking of Doakes, fun fact, when I first watched Dexter, I thought he might have been played by the same guy who played Kieth in Six Feet Under. Before you call me racist, check out these pics, and let me say that it had been a while since I'd seen Six Feet Under:

SFU_bios_keith.gifbio-king.jpg

I had fun imagining that the tension between Dexter and Doakes might have been left over from some unresolved marital issues :P

Archived