Damage Control

Guest Luc

Here's the next chapter, in this one I've introduced a bit of Aden and Cassie's back story.

Chapter Ten

Geoff stared at Matilda and felt his stomach churn as she burst out in tears. “Belle knows Geoff, she figured it out,” Matilda swiped at her eyes, her breath coming out in harsh gasps. “And it gets worse,” she whispered under her breath.

Geoff studied her, reaching his hand out to hers. Grasping her hand softly, he pulled her to his bed and moved his leg so she could sit on the edge of the mattress. “Geoff,” she brushed her eyes against the back of her hand and attempted to stifle another sob that was threatening to break loose.

“Geoff, I’m sorry but I didn’t know what else to do,” she sniffled as Geoff looked on in confusion. Trying to get her to calm down, Geoff grabbed Matilda’s arm and attempted to soothe her.

“What are you talking about Matilda?” Geoff questioned, trying his best to sound calm. Matilda looked at him for a few seconds before speaking.

“Um…we were in class and she asked me why Aden was hanging around me so much,” Matilda grabbed the tissue box that Geoff was holding out for her.

“Thanks,” she smiled with a light flush as Geoff nodded with a small smile of his own. “Um, then she figured out that I was the one you saved…” her voice trailed off and she looked down at his comforters, unable to look him in the eyes.

“She told me that the only way she wouldn’t say anything was if I got you to let her come in and see you,” Matilda took a chance and looked up, relieved to find that Geoff didn’t look angry.

Nodding, Geoff raked his free hand through his hair as he thought it over. “I didn’t know what else to say Geoff, I’m sorry,” she spoke quietly but Geoff could hear the tiny tremor in her voice. Shaking his head, he carefully reached over to her and grabbed her shoulder, pulling her against his chest.

Forgetting about his chest wound, Matilda buried her face in his neck, clinging to him as she attempted to calm herself down. Matilda could feel Geoff’s good hand stroking down her long messed up locks in a soothing gesture.

“Relax Matilda, its okay,” he whispered as she began to calm down. Nodding slightly, Matilda pulled away from Geoff, pushing her hair behind her ears.

“I was just really afraid you’d be mad and I already feel bad enough…” Geoff cut her off as he pressed a finger to her lips.

“Matilda,” he gave her a small smile. “I promise its okay…and I don’t blame you,” he pushed her hair away from her eyes as her bangs fell back in her face. “Please don’t blame yourself for what happened to me.” he sat up as best as he could and grabbed Matilda’s hand.

Glancing down at their clasped hands, Matilda knew that if Geoff had been any other guy, she would have ripped her hand from his by now. But it wasn’t just any guy, it was Geoff Campbell. The Geoff Campbell.

Nodding with a soft smile, Matilda wiped her eyes on the back of her hand once more. “Thanks for helping me Geoff.” she smiled; reaching forward and gently wrapped her arms around his neck.

Geoff nodded and smiled as an idea popped into his head. “I’ll talk to Belle for you Matilda,” he smiled softly at the now calm teen. “She’ll listen to me. Just give me her number.” he nodded towards her phone which was peeking out from inside her purse.

Digging the phone out as it slipped to the bottom of her purse, Matilda smiled and handed it to Geoff. Reaching across his body to grab his phone from the table beside his bed, Geoff grunted in pain as he jarred his injured shoulder.

Letting his head fall back, he closed his eyes and took a few calming breathes as his face scrunched up in pain. “Still hurts.” he half chuckled, making Matilda smile uncomfortably. Laughing at an injury someone received from helping you while you were being violated is hardly funny…

“Jeffreys!” Aden heard as he walked along the beach, he turned around and saw Cassie Turner rushing towards him,

“What do you want, Turner?” He asked, shaking her head, having a strong feeling he knew what this was about,

“Will you please tell me why you and Matilda have been seeing a lot of each other lately?” She asked him, he gave a small laugh,

“How many times do I have to tell you we’re friends? Isn’t she allowed to have friends outside that group you have?” He asked Cassie, she shook her head, “Oh, is this about that again!” He asked, surprised,

“I really loved you Aden,” She said, “Why’d you break up with me, you never gave me a proper excuse,” Cassie sighed deeply; Aden opened his mouth and began to explain.

“You really don’t know what this means to me Geoff,” she told him sincerely, her voice laced with an emotion that Geoff couldn’t quite place.

Shrugging casually, Geoff grinned as well. “Matilda, really, don’t worry about it…any of it,” he watched her face as she gave him a small nod, not really sure if she could keep that stance. Sighing, Geoff struggled to sit up as his eyes locked with Matilda’s.

“Seriously Matilda,” he grabbed her hand once more, obviously taking her by surprise. “I really don’t want you think this is your fault.” His eyes studied hers intently, making her feel slightly uncomfortable. “I chose to help you Matilda, I wanted to help you,” he gave her a sincere smile which made her smile as well.

“I knew he wasn’t going to give up without a fight, but I went for it anyway. I wouldn’t have been able to live with myself if I wouldn’t have helped you.” he finished, looking down at his blankets as pain flashed through his eyes.

Matilda cleared her throat, causing Geoff to glance up. “Well you’ll never know how much it means to me. Never.” She smiled as Geoff made a face at her. “I’m serious Geoff,” she laughed as he continued with the faces.

The pair became silent as they studied each other, neither able to fill the void that had broken the conversation. And yet it wasn’t an awkward pause, instead it was a sensual pause. “Can I tell you something,” Geoff spoke up suddenly, startling Matilda slightly.

“Um, sure,” she brushed a loose strand of hair behind her ear nervously as Geoff’s face took on a nervous demeanour. Geoff studied her for a moment before speaking, a slight blush tinting his cheeks as he took a deep breath.

“Um…well I’ve been wanting to talk to you for a while,” he reached up with his good hand and scratched the back of his neck nervously.

“Really?” Matilda asked, not really sure how to react to the new news. Geoff nodded, his blue eyes changing to a slightly darker hue.

“Since the end of last year,” he shrugged with his good shoulder and gave her a small smile, this time showing his pearly white teeth. “I was going to try a few times, but I chickened out,” he admitted, his cheeks reddening even more.

Matilda just laughed, amused at his words. “The Geoff Campbell was afraid to talk to a…a girl?” she questioned playfully, her smile widening as Geoff rolled his eyes.

“Well…yeah,” he shrugged, his hand flying back to his neck once more. “I mean, you’re the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen and…I don’t know…” he trailed off, looking away from Matilda as she took in what he just told her.

“That’s sweet Geoff,” Matilda finally answered and leaned forward, taking Geoff by surprise. Pressing her lips to his cheek, Matilda giggled and pulled away, her hand covering her mouth.

“I’m sorry I just…I couldn’t help it,” She shrugged, her cheeks blushing a deep crimson to match his. Geoff smiled a full toothy smile, running his hand over his chin.

“I don’t mind,” he shrugged with his good shoulder as he and Matilda seemed to fall into a silent staring match. Laughing at themselves, Geoff shook his head and turned on his TV.

“So how long can you stay?” he questioned as he raised the head of the bed up slowly to make it easier to access the girl sitting in front of him.

Matilda smiled and readjusted her position, setting her purse down next to his bed. “As long as you want me to” she grinned, flipping her long hair over her shoulder as Geoff nodded appreciatively.

Here's the next chapter - one of my favourites to wrte, and I hope one of your favourites to read - one or two more chapters to go.

Chapter Eleven

Belle Taylor was furious. No, furious would be an understatement. She was livid. Beyond pissed. And it all came down to Matilda. Matilda Hunter had robbed her of what was rightfully hers. And that was Geoff Campbell.

Belle flipped her phone open, running through the address book. Finding the appropriate number, she hit the green send button and waited for the most annoying voice ever to answer. Oh, she couldn't wait to rip one into the smaller girl.

Matilda had promised Belle that she would get Geoff to talk to her. And she had done exactly that, but added her own twist. When Geoff had called, Belle had been ecstatic. She had dreamed of the day when Geoff Campbell would call her. And yet when his soft voice filled the phone, it wasn’t how Belle had imagined it.

No, he told her to leave Matilda alone. Of course he said it as nice as possible, but the message was same none the less. He’d so nicely asked Belle not to say anything about what happened to Matilda, obviously telling her to keep her mouth shut, calling on behalf of Matilda.

“Sorry sweetie, that wasn’t part of the deal,” she sassed angrily as she stomped down the hallway. A vicious smile pulled at her lips as she spotted the said girl standing in front of her locker. Wiping the evil glare off her face, Belle faked a smile and hurried towards Matilda.

Hearing heels click on the floor at an alarming pace, Matilda looked up to find Belle heading towards her, a sickly sweet smile on her face. “Matilda,” Belle smiled, stopping next to Matilda’s locker.

Matilda looked up hesitantly at the brunette, witnessing the anger that flashed through them. There was no doubt the smile was fake, hiding the claws that were waiting to come out. “I believe you broke our deal,” she hissed, the smile still in place. “I believe the terms were that I wouldn’t say anything if you got me in to see Geoff,” she folded her arms across her chest, staring the smaller girl down.

Matilda shrugged, her face showing little emotion. “I don’t know what Geoff said to you Belle, but I promise I had nothing to do with it.” Matilda held her hands up in defence as Belle rounded on her.

Belle shook her head venomously, her brown hair falling over her shoulders. “Oh, don’t play miss innocent with me Matilda. I know you talked to him, otherwise he wouldn’t have said anything.” She leaned in towards the girl’s face, her expression cold.

“You better watch yourself Hunter,” Belle snapped before turning on her heel and stalking off without so much as even a glance behind her.

Matilda watched Belle strut down the hallway, and anger bubbling inside of her. Again, Belle was threatening her with something that normal people would try their hardest to keep to themselves. But what Belle wanted, Belle got, and it was clear that she wanted Geoff Campbell. The problem is, Geoff wanted nothing to do with Belle. He’d even told her that.

“She’s just not my type” he shrugged, his cheeks reddening slightly. Matilda had nodding; completely understanding that he probably was just trying to say he didn’t like her in the nicest way possible.

“What was that about?” Matilda heard from behind her, she turned around to see Aden and Cassie, hand in hand,

“Nothing,” She told Aden, giving his a smile, “What’s this then?” Cassie blushed a deep crimson,

“We’re back together,” Cassie said, “Aden thought I was cheating on him with Ric, but I wasn’t, we sorted everything out though,” Cassie said, Aden nodded,

“What was that about with Belle?” He asked again, Matilda mouthed the word Geoff, and he nodded in understanding, “We’re going to the diner for lunch, do you want to join us?”

“Nah, I’ll stay here and catch up on some work,” Matilda said, smiling, Cassie nodded,

“See you later then, Hunter,” Aden called out.

As soon as they had left, Matilda’s mind went back to worrying, Matilda didn’t know what to do. Going to Geoff had only made it worse, and now Belle was more than ready to spread her secret. She ended up deciding that she needed to talk to Geoff. Grabbing her purse from her locker, she headed towards her car.

Flipping her phone open as soon as she’d arrived at her car, Matilda dialled the newly memorised number and waited for Geoff to answer. Sighing as she was forwarded to his voicemail, Matilda shut her phone and pulled out of the parking lot.

Deciding to drive to the hospital in hopes of Geoff possibly being awake, Matilda headed there with high hopes. Jumping slightly as her phone began to ring, Matilda glanced at the number and ignored it. “I’ll call you later Cass,” she whispered to herself as she looked for a spot to park her car in.

After grabbing the first spot she saw, Matilda glanced at her phone to make sure Cassie didn’t leave a voicemail as she neared the elevators. She was about to put her phone in her purse when a text made the phone vibrate in her hand.

Flipping open her phone, Matilda slammed it shut and shoved it in her pocket. Belle was trying to get her to talk to her, no doubt about something involving her little incident. Practically shoving the other people out of the elevator, Matilda headed towards where she knew where Geoff’s room was.

Stopping outside, she frowned at the lack of light that could usually be found sliding out from under his door. Listening close to the door, she didn’t hear any noise coming from inside the room.

She stood outside, digging for her cell phone which she had dropped to the bottom of her purse. “Looking for me?” she almost dropped her phone as the voice startled her, a smile detectable in the boy’s voice.

Turning around, Matilda couldn’t help the smile that forced its way on her lips. “As a matter of fact I was,” she grinned, her eyes travelling from Geoff’s pale face up to his father’s soft eyes.

“I had an appointment,” Geoff told her as his father pushed him towards the door. Matilda side stepped his wheelchair and followed him in to the white washed room. Matilda stood to the side as Geoff’s father helped him manoeuvre himself onto his bed, his face scrunching in pain.

“Yeah, it still really hurts,” she heard him mutter to his father as he grimaced against the pain. Looking away from the pair of Campbell’s, Matilda set her purse on the surface of Geoff’s dresser until Geoff was settled.

“So what’s up?” he asked as his father pulled up a chair beside his bed. Matilda couldn’t help but smile at him as she surveyed his position. The head of the bed was raised and several pillows were placed behind Geoff, propping him up.

His dark blonde hair was swept to the side, his dark eyebrows predominately standing out against his pale skin. And yet although he still looked sick, his eyes twinkled brightly. Matilda glanced at Mr. Campbell with her eyes, and Geoff nodded in return.

“Would you mind giving us like ten minutes dad?” he looked to his dad as Matilda shifted uncomfortably. Even though George Campbell knew that Matilda was the one that Geoff was helping, it didn’t make the situation any less embarrassing.

As soon as George had left the room, Matilda scooted over to the seat that George had just occupied. “Belle,” she shrugged, urging off a smile at the eye roll that Geoff gave.

“She came up to me today and basically bit my head off for having you tell her not to bother me,” she looked down at her hands, suddenly feeling the guilt build upon her shoulders as the bright blue sling seemed to mock her.

Geoff shook his head, watching as her face suddenly became dark. “Matilda, she can’t hurt you.” Matilda looked up at Geoff sceptically, and he continued. “Whether she tells or not, it’s not going to make a difference,” Geoff studied her as she began to blush.

“If she tells people about what happened, everyone will hate me,” she began to fiddle with her fingers as she thought about how people would react to her. She didn’t even want to know.

“If anything, people will pity you, not resent you. Besides… you’ve got me on your side and I’ll beat them up if they make fun of you,” he smiled cheekily, earning a laugh from the brunette.

Raising an eyebrow, Matilda crossed her arms at the teen before her. “Geoff Campbell, you would not,” she leaned in, his gaze penetrating hers. Geoff shrugged his shoulder, a calmness descending on the two.

“I might, for you…” he trailed off as she leaned in towards him, her head inches from his. Matilda felt her heart speed as her breath hitched in her throat, her face suddenly feeling hot. Geoff’s eyes closed and Matilda felt her own closing soon after.

Holding her breath, Matilda felt the pressure of Geoff’s lips against hers, all her barriers coming down. Geoff gripped her waist with his good hand as her arms slid around his neck, resting on his shoulders lightly. He pulled away from her, gently pulling her towards the bed for better access.

Matilda climbed up next to him, leaning her chest into his as she suddenly found his lips on hers once more. Matilda leaned into the kiss.

Matilda felt Geoff’s tongue sweep over hers sensually before pulling out and gently brushing over her bottom lip.

Pulling away, Matilda studied Geoff, her breathing erratic and unsteady. “I’ve wanted to do that for so long.” he whispered as he rested his forehead against hers. Matilda only gave a slight nod, still attempting to get her breathing under control.

She couldn’t believe it. She’d just kissed Geoff Campbell which just proved what she'd been feeling all along. She was falling for Geoff Campbell, and there was nothing she could do about it.

Okay, I've changed it again, three more chapters to go - here's the next chapter.

Chapter Twelve

Belle Taylor stood outside of Geoff’s hospital room, the curtain next to his bed effectively blocking Belle from the two teens on the other side of the room. “If she tells people about what happened, everyone will hate me.” Belle’s ears perked up as she realized they were talking about her.

“If anything, people will pity you, not resent you. Besides… you’ve got me on your side and I’ll beat them up if they make fun of you,” Belle felt her anger begin to boil as she listened to them talk. She couldn’t believe it; Geoff and Matilda were falling for each other.

“Geoff Campbell, you would not,” She heard the annoying voice retort before Geoff’s voice filled her ears. “I might, for you…” Belle heard the confusion in Geoff’s voice as he trailed off, a silence falling on the room.

Peeking discretely around the corner, Belle’s eyes widened in horror as she watched the slow motion play erupt in front of her. As Matilda’s lips connected with Geoff’s, Belle felt her whole world explode as they sat there, practically making out on Geoff’s bed.

Her heart beating at a billion times faster than it’s normal pace, Belle clenched her purse and stormed away, not caring if the teens inside the room heard her or not. Following Matilda to Geoff had definitely not been her best idea. Well, she hadn’t expected that to happen, especially since she had managed to threaten Matilda twice.

And yet, that hadn’t worked so well either. Her proof was sitting on the bed, in a mid make-out session. Snapping open her phone, she dialled a familiar number and headed towards her car with an evil smirk on her face.

“Brittney, you’ll never guess what I just found out” she sneered as she made her way to her car, her heels clicking loudly against the concrete. Little did she know that in the room she had previously been surveying, she had infinitely caused damage.

“Geoff, she was listening, Geoff, oh my-" Matilda was cut off as Geoff placed a finger on her lips. He could see the panic written on her face, ready to flood over with the tears that were brimming threateningly at the edge of her eyes.

“Geoff,” Matilda pushed his hand away, frowning as he grasped her fingers in the attempt to get rid of his hand.

“Mattie, you have to relax,” he spoke, his voice calming Matilda immediately. Matilda looked down at their clasped hands, a few tears breaking free. She only raised her eyes when she felt Geoff’s thumb on her face, brushing away the falling tears.

“Remember what I just said?” he questioned, his free hand cupping her cheek as she wiped away a few of her own tears. “I know she’s intimidating, but you’ve got me” he told her sincerely, knowing that she was in a lose-lose situation.

“But Geoff, you’re not in school with me…she can ruin my life,” she felt the tears begin to fall at a more alarming rate. Geoff shook his head, the strap from his sling irritating the skin on his shoulder, but he ignored it.

“Matilda, she can only try and hurt you,” Matilda looked up at him incredulously. “If you don’t let her get to you, she can’t hurt you,” he told her to which Matilda rolled her eyes. After wiping her tears on the back of her hand, she crossed her arms over her chest and locked her gaze with Geoff’s.

“What, did you get that from a fortune cookie?” she gave him a half smile to meet his grin. Wrapping his arm around Matilda’s neck, he brought his forehead to rest against hers, smiling as her arms slid around his neck.

Matilda pressed her lips to Geoff’s for a few seconds, smiling at the fact that this was the second time that day she had kissed Geoff Campbell. “She’s probably gone by now,” she muttered, pulling back to let Geoff get comfortable against his pillows before she leaned back against him.

“I’ll call Aden later and give him a head’s up, you know, in case you need a little help tomorrow,” Geoff told her, pressing a kiss to the top of her head. Matilda sighed and grabbed his hand, wrapping it around her waist the best she could before letting her head fall against his chest as lightly as she could.

“What am I going to do if people start asking me about it?” she questioned, weaving her fingers in between his larger ones. She felt Geoff exhale as he thought about it, and Matilda desperately wished that Geoff would be going back to school with her.

“Just be straight with them,” he finally answered after what seemed like hours of silence. “You know what happened, you know what to say,” Matilda could feel Geoff’s voice vibrating through his chest as he spoke, tickling her cheek.

“So I should just be short with them, like if they ask just be like, - I was the one Geoff helped, and that would be the end of it,” she craned her neck up to his, their eyes meeting instantly.

Geoff nodded, his grip on Matilda’s hand tightening significantly. “Yeah, just give them an answer without being too detailed.” he finished, knowing that if the situation actually happened, Matilda would most likely handle it well.

“I’m sure you’ll be fine, and you’ve got Aden and Jake on your side that you can always call if you really need too” Geoff spoke again, letting his eyes close as Matilda shifted against him and turned onto her side so that her cheek was pressed against his chest.

“Oh, that’ll make it even better,” she muttered, resting her ear against his bandaged chest. Geoff snorted against her comment, but a smile was on his face none the less.

“And you’ll always have me,” he added quietly as he brought his hand to Matilda’s hair and began to run his fingers through the long, silky strands.

“And that, I am thankful for,” she smiled, reaching her face up to his so that their lips could meet in a sweet kiss.

“Just, try not to worry,” Geoff whispered as sleep suddenly started to pull at his eyes. He could feel Matilda relax against his chest as she too began to nod off.

:lol: Anyway, I've been so busy latley, with writing La Strada di Italia, that I haven't been able to write Damage Control latley, anyway, here's the next chapter, (Also, I really hate posting something one after the other in Fan-Fiction, so I was waiting for someone to reply :P)

Chapter Thirteen

From the minute she woke up that morning, Matilda Hunter just knew it was going to be a rough day. First, her alarm clock didn’t go off and she realized she had set it to PM instead of AM, since she’d been in such a rush the night before. Then just to make matters worse, when she’d turned the water on to take a quick shower, the water ran cold.

This just wasn’t her day. Throwing on a pair of jeans and a light blue t-shirt, Matilda continued scrambling around her room in a hectic effort to get ready for school. Searching through her top drawer for a hair tie, she smiled triumphantly when she found one and threw her hair up into a high ponytail.

Grabbing her keys on the way out, Matilda locked the door once she heard it click shut and ran to her car. Glancing at the clock on her phone, she sighed as she realized she had fifteen minutes to get to school, and the school was ten minutes away.

On her drive to school, Matilda let her thoughts run wild. She couldn’t believe that something so horrific could lead so something so wonderful. She didn’t know how she was lucky enough that Geoff could be so forgiving about the whole ordeal, especially since he almost died.

Pulling into the car park, Matilda saw a few people give her an odd look, but tried not to think about it and just kept driving until she found her parking spot. Pulling into the spot, Matilda took a deep breath before grabbing her stuff and getting out of her car.

As she walked into the school, she couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable as she walked down the halls, feeling as if every eye was on her. As she passed a group of senior girls, she sighed as they shot her sympathetic looks and watched her walk pass them.

Keeping her eyes straight ahead, Matilda jumped slightly as someone knocked into her. “Sorry,” the boy grinned as he pushed past her, his hand grazing her behind as he passed. Taking a deep breath, Matilda felt the tears prick the back of her eyes.

This was definitely the work of Belle Taylor. She told everyone that Matilda was the reason Geoff was shot, and more than likely, she had twisted the story so that something even more horrendous happened to Matilda.

“Matilda,” turning at the sound of her name, Matilda was greeted by Cassie who was pushing her way through the quiet crowd, all staring at the girl. “Matilda, what is going on?” Cassie questioned as she arrived at Matilda’s side and the two girls continue their way to Matilda’s locker.

Shrugging, Matilda stopped at her locker and began to spin the lock. “I don’t know what’s going on Cass,” Matilda admitted, not really in the mood to deal with Cassie’s nagging.

Cassie shook her head and glanced around, shooting a dirty look at a passing student who smirked at Matilda. “Is something going on with you and Geoff?” she questioned, causing Matilda to pause her actions.

“Kind of,” Matilda answered quietly, cautious of anybody who may be lurking around the corner for any gossip that may slip. Cassie cocked an eyebrow at her friend, not believing what Matilda was saying.

With a sigh, Matilda turned to face Taylor, her face serious. “Well, he’s just been really, really, super nice to me about this whole thing, and I think he likes me,” she paused and took a deep breath, taking in Taylor’s reaction. “And I like him too.” she admitted quietly, glancing around Cassie as a group of females passed them.

Keeping her eyes on Cassie, Matilda ignored the girls as they grabbed her shoulder in what she presumed was a comforting gesture. “We kissed,” she couldn’t stop the smile from forming as she thought back to the first time their lips met, the feeling of the immediate sparks returning.

“Like, I know it was horrible that we met the way we did, but I can’t help but think it was kind of a blessing,” Matilda shrugged as she took a few books from her locker and tucked them under her arm as they started walking.

“The only thing I’m still scared of is Belle,” Matilda admitted as she shifted her books and held them against her chest. “It’s like no matter how nice I am, she is out to get me,” she glanced at Cassie with a frown, knowing full well that Belle Taylor could ruin her life in an instant.

“But see, the thing is,” Cassie began with a small smirk, “No matter what she does to you, you still always seem to outdo her,” she shrugged as they neared their form room class. Matilda shrugged, not really sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

“And the one thing she has been working for almost her entire life you took away from her in an instant,” Cassie shrugged sympathetically as they entered the classroom. Keeping her eyes on the back of Cassie’s head as she made her way to her seat in the back, Matilda ignored the stares her classmates were giving her.

As Ms. Fletcher began her usual morning speech, Matilda’s mind strayed back to Geoff. He was supposed to be let out of the hospital within the next two weeks if everything went well, but even then, he couldn’t come back to school for a few weeks.

And he’d been right. Those who knew about the whole incident just looked at her with pity. But what they didn’t know was that she had captured the heart of the captain of the football team. Geoff was definitely going to get a call that evening.

As Belle walked in, Matilda felt her heart pick up with every step that Belle took, bringing her closer to her. “Matilda,” Belle nodded at her snobbishly as she took her seat.

“So, how has your morning been?” Belle questioned as she dug through her purse and pulled out a mini nail file. Belle kept her eyes on her nails, seemingly uncaring if Matilda answered or not.

“Fine.” Matilda was short with Belle, deciding that if Belle wanted to play games, she would play them just as well. “I talked to Geoff yesterday. Did you know he’s probably going to be getting out within the next few weeks?” Matilda sassed at Belle, earning a death glare from the brunette.

“Watch yourself Hunter,” Belle leaned in a hissed in Matilda’s face. Matilda glared back at Belle for a few seconds their dark brown orbs battling the other.

Leaning back with a sigh, Matilda crossed her arms and angled her face at Belle. “You know what Belle?” she began, earning a mocking glance from the girl beside her. “I don’t care what you do to me. Tell the whole school, tell the whole town, I don’t care,” her voice was serious and low as her emotions came out.

“Because no matter what you do to me, I know I’ve still got Geoff. And that was your ultimate goal.” Matilda watched Belle’s reaction in satisfaction, knowing she had won. Belle snorted and turned her gaze to the front of the room, completely ignoring Matilda, so obviously pissed.

Smiling to herself, Matilda also turned her attention back to her teacher in satisfaction. Belle Taylor had nothing on her. Nothing.

I rewrote this chapter a few times, but it still doesn't seem to flow - let me know what you think :)

Thanks Bec, anyway, is this fast enough? :lol: - Here's the next chapter, one more chaoter to go after this :(

Chapter Fourteen

Matilda sat in front of Geoff on his hospital bed, a large smile occupying each of their faces. “I can’t believe you’re getting out today,” Matilda smiled as she watched Geoff’s face light up. Nodding, Geoff grinned and stretched his good leg out on the side of Matilda’s waist.

“Yeah…I can’t believe it either,” Geoff sighed as he looked down at his hands for a moment. “I feel like I’ve been here forever,” his voice was low, but Matilda caught the hitch anyway. Looking up, Geoff shook his head and reached to her with his good arm.

Gently pulling Matilda to his chest, Geoff gave her a weak squeeze as he whispered in her ear; “Don’t worry about it,” Matilda pulled away and placed one hand on his casted arm which was still resting in the navy sling.

“I really am sorry Geoff…but I’ll come over every day and help you or just keep you company or whatever you want…make you food…you name it, I’ll do it,” she rambled on much to Geoff’s embarrassment.

Placing a finger on Matilda’s lips, Geoff grinned before leaning forward and pressing his lips to hers in the same place his finger had been moments previous. “I’m going to hold you to that,” he grinned as Matilda nodded before leaning in towards him once more and meeting his lips for a sweet kiss.

“Are you going to stay for dinner tonight?” Geoff questioned softly as he laced his fingers with hers. Matilda grinned and reached her other hand up to Geoff’s hair and gently threaded her fingers through the matted strands.

“Only if you shower,” she smiled as his eyes widened momentarily before he rolled his eyes. Giving her a cheeky grin, Geoff leaned forward until his mouth was next to her ear. “I’m not going to shower for a few days so get used to it,” he pulled away as his grin widened and Matilda could see the twinkle in his eyes.

Punching his good shoulder lightly, Matilda smiled and opened her mouth to retort when a knock on Geoff’s door interrupted them. Matilda turned away from Geoff and swung her legs over the edge of the bed as George Campbell walked into the room.

Smiling at the teens, George addressed Matilda before turning to his son. “You ready to get out of here?” he walked over to Geoff as a nurse shuffled in behind him with a wheelchair in front of her.

Geoff studied the chair for a few moments before looking up at his father. “Yeah,” he turned to Matilda as his father came to his side and Matilda could see the apprehension in his eyes. Matilda scooted off the bed and went to stand near the door as Mr. Campbell took her spot beside Geoff.

Grabbing one of Geoff’s arms, George waited until the nurse had arrived by the other side of Geoff before he leaned down to Geoff’s level. Pulling the wheelchair closer to his son, George locked the wheels before sliding his other hand under Geoff’s knee.

“Whenever you’re ready,” The nurse told Geoff softly. Geoff nodded and glanced at his father before his gaze strayed and his eyes met Matilda’s. Giving him a small encouraging nod, Matilda walked to the chair and placed her hands on the handles as Geoff took a deep breath.

“Okay,” he leaned forward and Matilda could see his chest heaving with anticipation. Gently helping Geoff stand, George moved at his sons pace as Geoff slowly rose to his feet. The minute his injured leg touched the ground, Geoff gasped a breath as a jarring pain shot up through his leg.

“Keep going Geoff,” George whispered encouragingly as each step he took to the chair spread fire through the injured limb. Finally making it to the chair, Geoff let his father and the nurse guide him into the chair.

“Those three steps were the hardest I’ve ever taken,” he whispered as George squeezed his sons shoulder reassuringly. Switching to Geoff’s other side as the nurse took her position behind his chair, Matilda gripped his hand reassuringly.

“Just think, in a few hours, you’ll be at home on your couch all nice and comfy,” Matilda smiled as Geoff looked up. A small smile spread on his own lips at her enthusiasm, although he felt like he’d just been dropped kicked.

“Yeah, well I can guarantee I won’t be leaving that spot for the next few weeks” he huffed with a knowing grin. Matilda just shrugged as they started to make their way to the elevators.

“Your mum’s got all of your stuff loaded in the car and is waiting for us downstairs,” George told Geoff softly as they waited for the elevators. Geoff nodded but didn’t say anything in return. As Matilda waited by Geoff’s side, she couldn’t help but a little anxiety herself. She had been ecstatic about Geoff getting out of the hospital, but now that he was actually getting out, she was feeling nervous.

The hospital had acted like her safeguard, but now that he was being released, anyone could come up to him and question him about exactly what had happened. “Did you fill out my discharge papers already?” Geoff’s voice broke Matilda’s thoughts and she glanced over at Geoff’s father.

George chuckled and raked his fingers through his son’s hair. “You wouldn’t be waiting here right now if I hadn’t,” he grinned to which Geoff just shrugged. “You’re all set to go,” George added as the little round button lit up to signify the arrival of the elevator.

“Just making sure, because all I want to do when we get back is pass out on the couch,” he muttered as he was pushed into the elevator. Matilda looked to Mr. Campbell with a small smile.

“Why not your room?” she questioned softly as they made their way down to main floor with a few more add-on’s along the way. Geoff’s head snapped towards Matilda and his eyes were wide. “I would never make it up there and, then back again,” he smiled as his father chuckled and Matilda laughed. Shrugging his able shoulder, Geoff grinned as the nurse pushed her way through the anxious crowd all grouped around the emptying elevator.

“Oh, and Aden’s been calling nonstop so please call him back when you feel up to it,” George added with a small smile despite an eye roll. Geoff rolled his eyes as well but nodded his head.

“What are we having for dinner?” he questioned suddenly as he was wheeled to the dispatch bay of the back entrance. He spotted his mother as she finished throwing the last of his stuff into the car.

“How are you feeling, sweetie?” Miranda questioned as she made her way over to Geoff. Matilda hid a smile as Mrs. Campbell fussed over her son, despite his protest. With a shrug, Geoff answered honestly; “I just want to go home.” Miranda smiled understandingly at her son as George and the nurse began to help him out of the chair.

The feat to get Geoff into the car was one that Matilda hoped they’d never have to go through again. Once Geoff had been settled into the backs seat, Matilda climbed in beside him. Linking her elbow through his, Matilda smiled as Geoff leaned into her side as his father closed his door.

“Alright Geoff, here we go.” George smiled at Geoff through the rear view mirror as he turned on the ignition. Geoff smiled and rested his head against Matilda’s shoulder as they began moving, each occupant of the car silent in their own thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, here's the final chapter, it's short, but ends it at the right moment :)

Chapter Fifteen – The End

Just as Matilda’s fingers grazed the brass door handle, the dark glazed wooden door swung open and she suddenly found herself face to face Francine Dupree. Francine Dupree was a young, tan skinned private tutor, with pale green eyes that sparkled and a dimpled smile adorned her face. She had also been the one assigned to Geoff’s case.

“Hey Matilda,” she smiled as she stepped down on the first step of the porch so she was level with Matilda. “Just to warn you, he’s pretty stressed about going back,” she smiled softly at the girl before passing her.

Matilda nodded and pushed the door open completely, stepping into the cosy household. Almost immediately, the scent of fresh homemade chocolate cake filled her senses as she quietly closed the door behind her.

Kicking off her shoes, Matilda dropped her purse near the door and ventured further into the house. She could hear the sounds of the television protruding from the living room followed by the sounds of rustling blankets every so often.

Venturing towards the brightly lit room, Matilda found Geoff twisted in the blankets with head propped up against a couple of pillows and the large black remote was resting on his lap. Rapping her knuckles against the door frame of the banister at the entrance of the living room, Matilda smiled brightly when Geoff tilted his head slightly and their eyes met.

"Fran's only been gone for five minutes and you're already back in bed." Matilda grinned as she pushed the coffee table closer to the couch that Geoff was occupying. Geoff's face was stiff, his usually light blue eyes now taking on a cloudy overcastted look, his brows furrowed together. Matilda reached forward and gently ran her fingers through his hair with one hand and gently grasped one of his hands in her other hand.

"What's up Geoff?" She questioned cheekily, well aware of exactly what was brimming his forlorn expression. With an indolent shrug, Geoff twisted slightly in his spot against the plush pillows and angled his body towards Matilda's. Answering with a low sigh, Geoff's eyes travelled to his hand which was still firmly clasped in Matilda's.

"I'm just not really feeling going back to school on Monday" he looked up slowly, his blue eyes turning to a stormy grey. Matilda smiled sympathetically at him as he shrugged lightly with a genuine half smile turning up the corner of his lips. "I mean- I know I have nothing to worry about, it's just- I'm really not looking forward to everyone snooping into my private life...especially since they hounded you already- and now they're going to try me for the story" he sighed as Matilda nodded in agreement.

"I know Geoff, but you know what?" Matilda sat up a little straighter as a quirky grin slid onto her lips. "Someone once told me that people will say what they want to say... and none of it matters. Just ignore them and continue on..." Matilda grinned as a real smile crawled onto Geoff's lips and his eyes creased with the genuine smile.

"And I'd have to say that person was pretty smart...and, I think that person deserves a kiss," Geoff grinned, and Matilda couldn't help but smile as well. The Geoff that Matilda had wanted to know was starting to shine back through. Shrugging, Matilda grinned devilishly and leaned forward, smacking her lips to Geoff's for a second before quickly pulling her mouth away from his.

Geoff frowned at Matilda, folding his arms across his chest unamused. "Very funny," he muttered as he leaned forward and threaded his fingers behind Matilda's head until his fingers were caught in her hair. "A real one," he mumbled against her lips seconds before she sealed his mouth with her own. Pulling back, Geoff let Matilda climb beside him on the couch, both conscious of Geoff's healing injuries.

"Besides, it's Friday." Matilda smiled as she pulled away and carefully flung her legs over his and over the edge of the couch. "You've got all weekend to get ready," she smiled as she used his waist to push herself off of the couch. Geoff nodded and grabbed her hand as she swept by him, stopping her from leaving the room.

"And you'll be here all weekend right?" he asked, half confident of her answer. Matilda rolled her eyes but nodded none the less. "And you'll go with me on Monday right...as my girlfriend?" his eyes had brightened considerably as he waited for Matilda's answer.

Matilda smiled at Geoff's shyness and leaned forward to press her lips against his. "I suppose I owe you at least that," she grinned as she leaned in. She felt Geoff smile against her lips and pulled away, shoving his shoulder lightly. "Do you want some of the chocolate cake?" Matilda yelled as she headed into the kitchen. As she carefully sliced the cake, Matilda smiled to herself. Who knew that something so wonderful could come from something so horrible? Even though they had met in an awful situation, Matilda knew that they were destined to meet. And nothing can stop destiny.

Comments

Archived