American TV shows

Guest rising-flame

I don't understand how Kath and Kim will translate at all. It would have to be an entirely different show with all the cultural references changed, or else there's no possible way Americans would get it. Apart from the names, and I suppose the general attitude of the characters, I can't see how there will be anything remotely "Kath and Kim" about it.

I didn't mind American Coupling, but the UK one was much funnier. I tried to watch the UK version of The Office - didn't get it. The American version, I love. Queer as Folk - no contest. American all the way! (I admit I only ever saw half an episode of the UK version, but come on... it's Brian! Who's ever going to beat Brian!?) But I am still slightly traumatized by the American version of The Sketch Show that I watched... There's just something so unsettling about hearing American cops happily singing "Your wife is dead!" on a widower's doorstep... and the fact that Lee Mack was still involved... So very, very unsettling.

I LOVED that show. And I vaguely remember that sketch... Did it have something to do with singing? :lol: It was years ago, but I remember that line.

The Kath & Kim will be weird IMO... The show here is about taking the **** out of our culture... I don't see how that would work, as you also mentioned Jem... Hopefully we can view it somehow. It will be interesting to watch... Although on this topic, does anyone know if they're actual new stories? Or they're redoing the Aussie series with the American actors etc?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I nearly died when I thought that Scrubs was cancelled, then I say it got picked up by another network. Phew.

Can't believe Back to You got cancelled. I didn't mind it. And How I Met You Mother in limbo? I hope the renew it. I love that show.

I tried to watch the UK version of The Office - didn't get it.

:o How could you not find Ricky Gervais hysterical?! Although, actually, yeah, I suppose British humour is a bit unique; but still, I loved it!

I like Extras, so it's not him or Britain as a whole that I have issues with :P. The Office is just... eh. Not that funny to me. But I admit, it has been ages since I saw an episode, and even then I don't remember it well. Maybe I've just been conditioned to think that all truly clueless people must be American :rolleyes: That, or it's too tragically lifelike to be amusing... I was actually like that with Kath & Kim for a while before I "got" it. So there is still hope.

I really like the all actors in the American version too, which helps. Not too sure about a spin-off though. Sounds a bit weird.

I don't know why, but today I got a feeling that there will be a Buffy movie soon... I read at the Buffy reunion that the actors are willing to do it and SMG will be on board if the script is good, but she's waiting to see what the Sex and the City movie would be like if it will flop or be good. After all the talk Ive heard about the movie all day it just gave me more hope that we're closer to seeing a Buffy movie :lol:

I don't understand. What does she have to with the Sex and the City movie?

I don't understand how Kath and Kim will translate at all. It would have to be an entirely different show with all the cultural references changed, or else there's no possible way Americans would get it. Apart from the names, and I suppose the general attitude of the characters, I can't see how there will be anything remotely "Kath and Kim" about it.

I have a suspicion that the American version will bare absolutely no resemblance to the original K&K and therefore it is probably pointless actually calling it Kath & Kim. Even taking into account humour and cultural differences between the two countries, I just can not see the American market or actors accepting the original concept of the show. Americans love beautiful people and political correctness and that just isn't Kath & Kim. Kim is also known for being a bit pudgy and Kath is always picking on her about it - it's the running joke of the whole series. So I wonder if the slim Selma going to pack on the pounds to play Kim? She better. You can't have Kim actually be a hornbag... that's just not... Kim.

I don't know why, but today I got a feeling that there will be a Buffy movie soon... I read at the Buffy reunion that the actors are willing to do it and SMG will be on board if the script is good, but she's waiting to see what the Sex and the City movie would be like if it will flop or be good. After all the talk Ive heard about the movie all day it just gave me more hope that we're closer to seeing a Buffy movie :lol:

I don't understand. What does she have to with the Sex and the City movie?

Because a TV show being a feature film could be a big flop. She's seeing how successful it will be in terms if fans will go and watch it or reject it.

Oh, ouch...

I really didn't give the show a go to be honest. I watched the first 5 minutes and he's explaining that all the things that relate to vampires are false... Where's the fun in vampires if everything is a myth in the show :lol:

I'm really surprised at Back To You though.

Archived