American TV shows

Guest rising-flame

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:lol: That does sound odd. I must check it out one time on SciFi :lol:

I found a plot summary (and more) for you, Drew...

"Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me......There's no place I can be since I found Serenity, you can't take the sky from me."

Firefly is set five hundred years from today in a new planetary system after humanity abandons "Earth That Was". Under the leadership of Malcolm Reynolds, a renegade who fought against the new unified central government (the "Alliance"), the crew of the Firefly-class vessel Serenity struggles to survive any way they can. They fly between the border planets to keep away from the Alliance and below its radar. This series was described as a "science fiction western" but is different from other space-based shows as it features no aliens.

(For stations and individuals seeking the intended air order of the series as specified by creator Joss Whedon, as opposed to the order Fox originally aired them or that they are informing stations is the order they should be shown in, see here)

Each of the crew members has a special role:

Malcolm Reynolds holds the duty of Captain - he is a defeated soldier who opposed the unification of the planets by the Alliance to no avail. He strives to keep all his crew members on task and Serenity flying safely, while trying to make a living and do the right thing...in his rather flexible moral framework.

Zoe (aka The Soldier) is extremely loyal to Reynolds as she served with him during the war and owes her life to him. Zoe has the strength and experience to take command of the ship, if necessary.

Wash is Serenity's pilot (and Zoe's husband) - unassuming, self-deprecating, and calm with a sense of humor.

Kaylee is the ship's mechanic - an experienced engineer who keeps Serenity flying.

Inara is a 'Registered Companion,' most easily described as a high-priced courtesan or geisha. She is also the person with the highest social standing on the ship and acts as the crew's Ambassador.

Jayne is the muscle of the crew. A tough, uncultured Mercenary, unpleasant and offensively direct, but loyal to those on his crew...usually.

The newcomers are:

Simon Tam is the Doctor on Serenity and comes from a wealthy family and has a privileged upbringing. He has spent his life savings and future to save his sister, River.

River (aka The Fugitive) was experimented on by the government. Her psychic visions (a result of the experiments) are taken at first as babble by the crew but they slowly come to realize that there's more going on than what shows on the surface.

Book or "The Shepherd," is a wise minister who knows far more about military matters and battle tactics than a man of the cloth should, and his past is shrouded in mystery.

Yeah, Serenity was a telemovie version according to some sources, and others it was a mini-series and in reality, the final episode of Firefly (It was a flashback, which, in weird style, was converted to the pilot episode upon DVD release)

Hmmm. :lol:

I don't know why, but today I got a feeling that there will be a Buffy movie soon... I read at the Buffy reunion that the actors are willing to do it and SMG will be on board if the script is good, but she's waiting to see what the Sex and the City movie would be like if it will flop or be good. After all the talk Ive heard about the movie all day it just gave me more hope that we're closer to seeing a Buffy movie :lol:

But anyway, I don't wanna jynx it.

Yeah, Serenity was a telemovie version according to some sources, and others it was a mini-series and in reality, the final episode of Firefly (It was a flashback, which, in weird style, was converted to the pilot episode upon DVD release)

I think what you mean is that the pilot episodes of Firelfy were shown last on TV and first on the DVD. Serenity was a feature film release which wrapped up the series a bit better.

Dollhouse should be good, with Katya and Faith. I'm intrigued by the American Kath and Kim, with Molly Shannon and Selma Blair, but after AmeriCoupling I'm not optimistic. Although I do have relatively high hopes for Life on Mars, especially since it's got Colm Meaney, who was excellent on DS9, as Gene Hunt.

Thanks for clearing that up Josh - yeah, after research, I did find out that Serenity was a feauture film by Joss :) - I also found out that the episodes weren't shown in order on US TV, which explains a lot

I don't understand how Kath and Kim will translate at all. It would have to be an entirely different show with all the cultural references changed, or else there's no possible way Americans would get it. Apart from the names, and I suppose the general attitude of the characters, I can't see how there will be anything remotely "Kath and Kim" about it.

I didn't mind American Coupling, but the UK one was much funnier. I tried to watch the UK version of The Office - didn't get it. The American version, I love. Queer as Folk - no contest. American all the way! (I admit I only ever saw half an episode of the UK version, but come on... it's Brian! Who's ever going to beat Brian!?) But I am still slightly traumatized by the American version of The Sketch Show that I watched... There's just something so unsettling about hearing American cops happily singing "Your wife is dead!" on a widower's doorstep... and the fact that Lee Mack was still involved... So very, very unsettling.

Archived