Rhys Wakefield- New Drama Role

Guest Jamey-Maria

Spy Kid lobs into town

9 April 2008

The Advertiser

MY, look how the Spy Kid has grown. Alexa Vega, famous for her role as Carmen Cortez in the Spy Kids franchise, is starring in a new Aussie movie being shot around Adelaide from April 21.

The low-budget family drama, which has the working title Broken Hill, is being touted as ``Billy Elliot in the Outback''.

It follows talented teenage composer Tommy who's living in Outback Australia (in the town of Broken Hill, where some sequences will also be filmed). He's played by Aussie actor Luke Arnold who had a part in McLeod's Daughters.

"He just blew us away in the audition, he did a great read and he'll be phenomenal in the role and we're excited to have him,'' producer Chris Wyatt says. Rhys Wakefield, who's getting rave reviews for his performance in The Black Balloon, is also among the many Aussies featured in the flick.

The former Home and Away hottie has been cast as Tommy's best mate Scott.

Meanwhile Alexa, 19 is American teenager Kat, who falls in love with Tommy and helps him to achieve his dream of getting into the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.

"It was a huge search across Australia,'' Chris says of Kat. ``The role was always American, but we had hoped to cast an Australian to play her, and we auditioned a lot of actors, but never found exactly the right person.''

The low-budget family drama, which has the working title Broken Hill, is being touted as ``Billy Elliot in the Outback''.

Rhys Wakefield, who's getting rave reviews for his performance in The Black Balloon, is also among the many Aussies featured in the flick.

The former Home and Away hottie has been cast as Tommy's best mate Scott.

Billy Elliot's best mate turned out to be gay... I'm just sayin.

This... doesn't actually sound all that exciting lol. But I'm glad that Rhys is working on a new project :)

Quoting what I said on HAAC:

"Now it's up on IMDB, seems like the title has changed:

"Was originally called "Broken Hill", but the title was changed when the shooting plans moved from New South Wales to South Australia."

Synopsis

Tommy, a gifted teenager composer, dreams of being accepted into the famous Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Unfortunately, a good band is hard to find in the middle of Outback Australia - until a strange incident involving flying watermelons leads him to a group of talented prison inmates"

ARTICLES:

SA setting for new movie

March 20, 2008 12:10am

THE producers of the hit film Napoleon Dynamite which made 100 times more at the box office than it cost, hope to repeat its success with their new South Australian movie, Songlines.

The family drama, described as Billy Elliot in the Outback, will be shot around Adelaide over a seven-week period in April and May. The $2.5 million movie follows a talented teenage composer living in Outback Australia who dreams of getting into the prestigious Sydney Conservatorium of Music.

He bluffs his way into a prison so he can put together a band of talented inmates to help him audition.

Producer Chris Wyatt (Napoleon Dynamite, Coyote) and writer-director Dagen Merrill (Beneath) flew into Australia on Tuesday and began casting in Melbourne yesterday. Further auditions will be held in Sydney and Adelaide, with two parts reserved for American or British actors.

Wyatt said the film was originally called Broken Hill and was intended to be shot in New South Wales.

"But then we were told about (SA's) competitive rates and strong crew," he said.

"We took a trip, checked out the locations and thought Adelaide would be a wonderful home for the movie."

Wyatt said too many films were made about people in New York and LA.

"That's part of the reason Napoleon seemed so fresh to audiences," he said.

"I wouldn't say this film is exactly the same but the story of a kid in a small town, who's never been to LA or seen a skyscraper - his life is just as interesting and compelling as any other life."

Merrill was one of four finalists selected from 7000 aspiring filmmakers for the 2003 second season of Ben Affleck's Project Greenlight.

He made his feature debut last year with the mystery thriller Beneath and explained he set Songlines in Australia after touring the country a few years ago as a performer.

"The story is about a kid isolated from the rest of the world and we came to the conclusion there are not many places more isolated than outback Australia," he said.

The film's production office will be based at the SAFC. The SA line producer is Julie Ryan (Ten Canoes, The Tracker).

SOURCE: Adelaide Now

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Napoleon Dynamite team to make new film in South Australia

ANDREW FENTON, FILM WRITER ANDREW FENTON, FILM WRITER

March 20, 2008 01:00pm

THE producers of successful cult film Napoleon Dynamite hope to repeat its success with their new South Australian movie Songlines.

The family drama, described as Billy Elliot in the Outback, will be shot around Adelaide over a seven-week period in April and May.

The $2.5 million movie follows a talented teenage composer living in outback Australia who dreams of getting into the prestigious Sydney Conservatorium of Music. He bluffs his way into a prison so he can put together a band of talented inmates to help him audition.

Producer Chris Wyatt (Napoleon Dynamite, Coyote) and writer director Dagen Merrill (Beneath) flew into Australia on Tuesday and began casting in Melbourne yesterday. Further auditions will be held in Sydney and Adelaide, with two parts reserved for American or British actors.

Wyatt said the film was originally called Broken Hill and was intended to be shot in New South Wales. "But then we were told about (SA's) competitive rates and strong crew," he said. "We took a trip, checked out the locations and thought Adelaide would be a wonderful home for the movie."

Wyatt said too many films were made about people in New York and LA. "That's part of the reason Napoleon seemed so fresh to audiences," he said.

"I wouldn't say this film is exactly the same but the story of a kid in a small town, who's never been to LA or seen a skyscraper - his life is just as interesting and compelling as any other life."

Merrill explained he set Songlines in Australia after touring the country a few years ago as a performer.

"The story is about a kid isolated from the rest of the world and we came to the conclusion there are not many places more isolated than outback Australia," he said.

The film's production office will be based at the SAFC. The SA line producer is Julie Ryan (Ten Canoes, The Tracker).

SOURCE: AdelaideNow

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I work for the company that just made the film Broken Hill in Adelaide starring Rhys Wakefield and Alexa Vega. The studio is called Audience Alliance Motion Picture Studios. Broken Hill is currently in post-production in California. I've seen some of the daily footage and it looks really good. Can't wait to see it when it's finished. It's good to see Australians getting more involved in the film industry.

You can see all the latest Broken Hill film developments, behind the scene footage, and interviews with the cast at www.audiencealliance.com

Register for the newsletter and stay up to date with all production developments. Let me know if you have any questions about the film or if you have any friends starring in it.

Thanks for the info AJax!

I've already registered on there, it's a very nice website/organization :)

I read the script for Broken Hill, and I think it's really good! The film kind of played in front of me as I read, so I'm sure it will be great :D Would be awesome if you could put up some stills from the movie on the website.

I have a question; What kind of release will Broken Hill have? Will it be release internationally?

Archived