Guest snakewoman52

INDECENT PROPOSAL!

Main characters: Ric, Mattie, Viv, Noel, Alf, Morag, Martha, etc

Genre: Action Drama Romance

Details: Ric and Mattie fan fic

BTTB Rating: A, AV, SV

Does the story contain any spoilers: Yes

WARNING: May contain medium level violence and sexual references

SUMMARY:Ric and Matilda have got it made. They've just gotten their relationship back on track, Ric's landed himself a career as a boxer at Noel Anderson's established and life couldn't be better but all that is about to chance when Noel making a shocking proposal towards Ric, which could see him lose everything and ultimately his life.

Ric and Matilda were walking down towards the boat wharf hand-in-hand happy both happy and contented in each other’s company after having spent so much time apart. Things had not all gone smoothly for them both after their initial breakup on the night of their formal, Mattie finding out about Ric and Viv’s one night affair and that he was going to be the father of her unborn child, but after a rather turbulent time it seemed they were finally starting to get their relationship back on track, they’d both moved out of Sally’s at the caravan park and were now living together and what’s more Matilda had reassured Ric that she would be 100% behind him on whatever decision he made in regards Viv’s baby.

To add to that it seemed Ric had even managed to snag himself a promising career in boxing, which paid almost ten times as much as what he was getting paid working in an apprenticeship at Ray’s garage meaning that he could now afford to take Matilda out on more dates to up market restaurants, and spent more time being able to spoil her, while at the same time still be able to afford to pay the rent. And who know’s at this rate they both might even be able to one day afford their own house, he thought to himself.

Little did they stop to realize that they’re futures were not quite as secure as they thought. Ric had up till now been in a few no-holds barred boxing contests and done rather well for himself so far managing to win every contest he’d competed in – despite landing himself with a few cuts and bruises and finishing up a little worse for wear, and what’s more it seemed he and Mattie had gotten one step closer to gaining custody of his child, which had certainly help to boost his confidence.

Little did either one of them realize, however, that they’re luck was about to change with one indecent proposition by none other than Noel himself.

As Ric and Mattie made their way down to the pier on what was considered a rather overcast day they found themselves coming face- to-face with Noel, who was standing at the end of the pier looking out to sea.

RIC:

Noel!

NOEL:

Ah! Ric nice to see you, you brought that loving young girlfriend of yours (Paused as he scratched his head)…

MATILDA:

Matilda!

NOEL:

…Matilda!... That’s it!...along too.

MATILDA:

Well I’m more here as just a part of Ric’s support base.

NOEL:

Well, well, well, aren’t we a lucky man. If I may have the pleasure of kissing your hand, my dear girl.

RIC: You wanted to see me, Sir?

NOEL: Ah yes! I was hoping to catch up with you for a spot of business in regards to your fights.

RIC: Ah yeah, okay! Mattie, would you mind running down to the Pier diner and ordering me a café latte.

NOEL: Ah! Make that two…

RIC: Ah yeah! And make sure you order something for yourself, while you’re about it, Noel and I will be there shortly, we just have some business to discuss.

MATILDA:

Sure… (Leaves racing on ahead to the diner)

NOEL:

(Following Matilda with his eyes as she goes to leave) Charming girl! That young girlfriend of your’s. Sticking by you, committing to you the way she has through all this Viv stuff, especially for such a young girl as her. It can’t be easy for her I imagine.

She must be a truly remarkable woman to support you the way she has, that’s all I can say. You’re a very lucky man.

RIC:

(Smiles to himself) Yeah! You could say that

NOEL:

…Amyway! Where were we now? Oh yes! I believe we were discussing business in relation to you fighting contract.

RIC:

Yeah! What about it?

NOEL:

I couldn’t help but notice you certainly seem to be putting on a good show as of late and the crowd certainly seem to adore you. You have appeared to have earned yourself quite a fan following as it seems.

RIC:

(laughs) Yeah! Well what can I say; those tips you gave me must have really paid off. Thanks for helping me with that by the way. I really much appreciate it.

NOEL:

Oh don’t mention it. It was a pleasure to be able to help. Although, I must say I always thought you were a natural, Kiddo! All you really needed was a bit of fine tuning…

RIC:

(Laughs) Yeah!

NOEL:

Oh no! I really mean it, Ric. I think you could really have a bright future in this game if you keep you put your mind to it, keep your head down and continue on the way you’re going.

Which bring me to another point I was rather hoping to discuss with you today..

RIC:

What’s that?

NOEL:

It appears there’s been a development, as you well know I happen to think of myself as a reasonable man, but even reasonable men have there limitations.

RIC:

Meaning…

NOEL:

Oh come on, Ric! Don’t tell me you honestly believe that I set you up in this little gig purely out of the goodness of my heart in order to see you reap all the benefits from it and gain all the glory, so that you and young Matilda can just head off into the sunset and live happily ever after, without me receiving my fair cut of the proceedings.

The game we're involved in is very much a cut throat, dog-eat-dog kind of world. A survival of the fittest where to stay in this game is not always a case so much of what you know, but rather who you know.

Contacts and associates are everything in this game, Ric and I'll have you know `I’m the Puppet master around here' I am a very wealthy, powerful businessman, with plenty of connections, as I'm sure you're well aware. And being in the position I’m in I also have the ability to make or break careers.

RIC:

Yes I…

NOEL:

So then I want you also to realize; You’re in the prosperous position you’re in now, Ric, because I allowed it to happen and that just as I made it happen, I can just as easily rip it all away from you just like that, should you double cross me.

RIC:

(Nodds with rather a dumbfounded expression on his face)…Okay! And you’re telling me this why, exactly?

NOEL:

Because I don't make a habbit of advertising my business practices as public knowledge but rather like to keep everything descrete and in-house so that it's purely confined to public profit members only - not even Viv know's about my business dealings and that's the way I want it to stay.

So just let you know, should you ever so much as breath a word to a soul about my business dealings or even think of leaving and becoming a whistle blower on my opperation Im promise you I will do everything in my power to bring you down with me. Do I make myself clear?

RIC: (Swallowing hard) Perfectly!

NOEL:

Good man! This brings me to something else I was rather hoping to discuss with you.

RIC:

What's that?

NOEL:

I want you to do something for me, Ric?

RIC:

(A little dubious) Ah yeah! sure!.What?

NOEL:

I want you to consider leasing young Matilda over to me for the odd night or two, here and there?

RIC:

(Shocked) Ah what?

NOEL:

You heard me! Son. I want you to consider leasing….

RIC:

Yeah, yeah! I got that, but why? I mean she's only seventeen for crying out loud you'd be at least triple her age...

NOEL:

...Oh come off it, Ric, it's not as if...

RIC:

... It's bad enough that your considering cheating on Viv with another woman in the first place let alone helping yourself to Mattie, especially when you could have any other woman. So why Mattie?

NOEL:

Come on, Ric! You know damn well why or do you think I’ve just forgotten all about the little scene you had going on with my wife behind my back, leading up to you climbing into bed with her and getting her knocked up.

Given the circumstances I’d consider this to be a more than a fair and reasonable trade, wouldn’t you?

RIC:

(Snaps angrily) I swear to God, Noel, if you so much as lay a hand of her…

NOEL:

You’ll what, Ric? Come on, you’ll what?.. Sue me! Given the position you’re in I’d hardly think you are in any sort of position to start making idol threats.

So before you start going out of your way to oppose me I strongly urge you to consider just what you stand to lose out on if I don’t get your full cooperation of this.

RIC:

Okay! Alright fine! But if I go ahead with this then what’s in it for me?

NOEL:

Glade you asked: Lets just say I’m willing to pay you top dollar for the girl

RIC:

How much exactly are we talking about?

NOEL:

Oooh! Let’s say roughly, around $3000 for a weekend.

RIC:

…Nup! Sorry, but Maddie not for sale.

NOEL:

Alright! How bout we say I offer you $5000 for a weekend and in exchange for your generosity I’m prepared to allow for you to spend a bit of time alone with Viv and the baby.

Afterall, that’s what I thought you would have wanted. To spend a bit of time getting to know your own child, without all the hassles of expensive legal costs, isn’t it.

RIC:

Yeah of cause it is? But if I remember correctly I don't recall ever having to ask your permission to see my own child.

NOEL:

It may be your child, but Viv’s my wife - making her my property. So do we have a problem, aye Puppet?

You’ll consider my proposal, will you! And talk it over with that sweet little girlfriend of yours?

RIC:

Well I guess you haven’t really given me much of a choice, have you!

NOEL:

No! So how bout you and Matilda keep me posted. Let me know what you decide. I’m heading in; those café latte’s have probably arrived by now, we wouldn’t want them getting cold now, would we! (Noel heads off towards the diner leaving Ric standing outside on the verandah overlooking the bayside)

NARRATION:

Ric stood there by the waters edge desperately trying to get his head around what Noel has just proposed to him. He couldn’t believe his ears. This so was not happening.

He pinched himself hoping this was all just some bad dream and that somehow this whole conversation between him and Noel never took place, but it did and what’s more he felt sickened to the stomach just knowing that Noel meant every word of it and there wasn’t a damn thing he could do about it.

Noel was right; when Ric originally got into this game he went in with the mindset of wanting to take back control of his life by getting back what he felt Johnny Cooper took away from him on that fateful day he tried to kill him and the absolute feeling of helplessness he’d experienced in that particular situation.

Now it was happening all over again, only this time in a different way. Ric thought by taking Noel up on his offer to get involved in his boxing scene he’d finally be able to take back control of his life, little did he know at the time that it was all just an illusion, that he was nothing more than one of Noel’s puppet’s and Noel the Puppet Master pulling the strings.

AT THE DINER

Irene was standing around behind the counter keeping a very close watch over Noel and young Matilda. Something about Noel didn't sit with her at all right, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Roman meanwhile, was out the back cooking up a storm in the kitchen, while doing his best not to be distracted by Martha who was acting her flirty self around him.

MARTHA: ...So how's the omlet coming along?

ROMAN: Fine! Want to try some just to be sure?

MARTHA: Well, no umm, Okay fine. (Goes to taste test some of Roman's omlet specialty) Hmm! Not bad, it could use just a pinch more salt.

ROMAN: Ah! A pinch more salt, aye. I'm sure I can manage that.

IRENE: (Calls out) Roman! How's that omelete of yours coming along. It looks the couple at table nine are starting to get twitchy feet waiting?

ROMAN: Yes Irene, two omlete's coming right up. (Heads out to serve the customers before returning to where Irene is noticing she's looking a little distracted)

...Is something up?

IRENE: Yeah! You could say that? What do you make of that guy over there, sitting with Matilda at table thriteen?

ROMAN: Hmm! It's hard to say, I don't really know him that well. He seems a little dodgy if you ask me.

IRENE: He's dodgy alright! Did you see the way he walked in here before with that smarmy look on his face. I don't know just what it is but I get a very bad vibe about that man, he gives me the creeps.

I'd love to know what some young girl like Matilda's doing hanging around with him?

ROMAN: Ah yeah! That's probably because that smarmy looking man happens to be Noel Anderson, Ray's biggest client. From what Martha's told me he and Ric have been involved in some business together outside of Ric working at the garage?

IRENE: Really! What sort of business?

ROMAN: Don't know! Whatever it is Ric's been rather hush, hush about it.

ALF and RIC enter

ALF:...Are you sure you're right, mate? You seem a bit tense.

RIC: Yeah, yeah! I'm fine, umm, I'll a...Just go and sit with Noel and Mattie.

ALF: Oh so you're not joining me for coffee

RIC: Oh no, I've just got some things to discuss with Matilda and Noel.

ALF: Oh well don't let me keep you than.

RIC: (Strides over to where Noel and Mattie are seated)

NOEL: Well hello, hello, hello, Mattie and I were just talking about you. Weren't we Mattie? Didn't you notice your ears burning?

RIC: So it was all good I hope/

NOEL: Yeah of course! You certainly took your time. I was wondering when you were going to come and join us. Your cafe latte would be getting cold by now.

RIC: Yeah! I just had to clear my head (Tries to force a smile)

NOEL: I understand! Anyway I'm just about finished up here, so I'll leave you two alone to talk. How's that sound?

RIC: So what have you guys been discussing while I was away?

MATILDA: Oh! It was mostly stuff on how you're progressing with your boxing. Stuff he'd already spoken about with you and he finished up giving me full twenty minute lechure on the finer points of boxing.

Did you know Noel even has a boxing division for women to compete in. He tried to recruite me earlier on, but I don't know that boxing's really my thing. Not that I'd try and stop you or anything, but, because I know how much this all means to you.

RIC:

Yeah Mattie, it's fine!

MATILDA:

Are you alright?

RIC:

Ah yeah! I'm fine.

MATILDA:

Are you sure? You seem a little up tight and I couldn't help but notice you seemed a little quiet and withdrawn earlier on did Noel say something to you before?

RIC:

(Places his hand up over his mouth as if trying to tell her something but not knowing quite how to say it)

MATILDA:

Ric! What's going on?

RIC:

(Sigh's) Yeah! Argh! Mattie, Do you remember that conversation we had a while back when we first got back together about us being completely open and honest with each other?

MATILDA:

Yeah!

RIC: There's something I need to talk to you about and you're not going to like it.

MATILDA:

What is it? Has something happened?

RIC:

Look ah... I'd rather not discuss this here. Would you like to go for a walk?

MATILDA: Ah yeah, sure.

(Both get up and exit the diner just as Morag enters)

MORAG: (Noticing Ric and Mattie rash exit) Ric and Matilda certainly left in a hurry. What's going on there I wonder? I couldn't help but notice Ric looked a little tense.

ALF: Yeah! He did!

Later on down at the beach side Ric has just finished filling Mattie in about Noel.s proposition to him.

MATILDA:

…You’re kidding, right! I mean this stuff with Noel is all some sort of sick joke right!

RIC:

I wish it was!

MATILDA:

So what did you say to him? You didn’t agree to any of this I hope, did you!

RIC:

You’ve got to understand, Mattie, I’ve being placed in a really difficult position here. I’m not entirely keen on the whole idea myself and if you decide you don’t want to go through with this then I’d completely understand. You just walk away now.

MATILDA: No! No Ric I can’t do that because as much as I detest the whole idea of spending a weekend alone with Noel let alone sharing a bed with him, I would hate to think of what he would do to you if I didn’t go through with this.

RIC:

Thanks Mattie, it means a lot to me to hear you say that.

MATILDA:

Well as I can recall I did say I’d stand by you through all this stuff with Viv no matter what, didn’t I. And I swear if anything were to happen to you, I couldn’t live with myself knowing there was something I could have done to stop it.

Mind you I’m not going to pretend to you that I’m enjoying the idea of spending a weekend alone with that repulsive man. Gees, that guy seriously gives me the creeps, Ric, you know that, and that’s even after spending five minutes in the same room as him.

I mean he’s just so pompous and full of himself and to be perfectly honest he makes me sick.

RIC:

Well at least there’s one positive to come out of all of this?

MATILDA:

What’s that?

RIC:

At least I want have to worry about you falling for Noel Anderson.

MATILDA:

Oh please! If I ever did something like that, please shoot me. That guy is an absolute sleaze, he’s repulsive. I can’t believe I actually feel sorry for Viv.

RIC:

Yeah! Well thanks you’re amazing you know that,

MATILDA:

Oh Well..

RIC:

No seriously, it really means a lot that you’re prepared to do this for me even if it means putting yourself out.

And Mattie, I’m really sorry to put you in this situation, if I thought there was any other way around this.

MATILDA:

Well the most important thing to me is to see you safe and well.

RIC: Yeah! But it doesn’t excuse the fact you shouldn’t have even being placed in this position in the first place and for that I am so sorry.

MATILDA:

Don’t Ric! You don’t have to apologize for anything…

RIC:

…But I do, you see! If it wasn’t for me getting myself caught up with Viv and her husband Noel and getting Viv knocked up, then we would be in this position the first place and I wouldn’t be having to ask you to ingratiate yourself to that Grub for a weekend just so I can secure some sort of a future for myself in his grubby little organization.

MATILDA:

Haven’t you just thought about getting out?

RIC:

Huh! How can I? I’m already in to deep. He’s not going to let me walk away from this that easily. He’s already threatened me before when I threatened to expose his grubby little dealing, informing me that if I dare to bring him down he’ll bring me down with him.

MATILDA:

When did he say this?

RIC:

It doesn’t matter. God! This is all such a mess. (smacking himself of the head with the palm of his hand before running it through his hair as Matilda put an arm around his shoulder for reassurance and support.

Back at the Van Park House

It was sometime later that day back at the caravan park house and Pippa Senior, Sally and Miles were busily organizing lunch for everyone. Alf, Morag, Colleen, Leah, who’d just arrived back from a holiday away with Ryan a VJ, and Cassie and little Pippa were all there and they were just waiting on Ric and Matilda to arrive back.

ALF:

So Leah, how was your holiday away up the coast with VJ and Ryan?

LEAH:

Oh good! We went and spent a few night’s at a rather plush hotel at Flynn’s Beach, Port Macquarie where some silly billy forgot to do his slip, slop, slap and came out with a rather nasty case of Sunburn…

ALF:

Ough! That’s no good!

LEAH:

…No! And I’ll tell you I finished up having to give Ryan a good old lecture about the importance of sun safety.

SALLY:

Yeah! Well it’s important to get a hold of them and drum it into them while their still young. It’s that liaise fair attitude which is exactly what caused Flynn to finish up getting the Melanoma on his back which ultimately killed him in the end.

LEAH:

Yes! And I’ve been trying to drum that into both the boys, but I don’t know. It’s like they think they’re invincible at that age or something. And I’m especially concerned about Ryan, what with his fair skin and everything.

COLLEEN:

Yes I can imagine.

LEAH:

Anyway, where were we? Oh yes then we headed further up the Gold Coast to Queensland and spent a few days up there, unfortunately that had been experiencing a bit of bad weather up there so we had to cut the trip short and come home early.

SALLY:

Oh that’s no good.

LEAH:

No, it isn’t

CASSIE:

So Sal! Did Ric and Mattie say when they’d be arriving over here for lunch?

SALLY:

Oh! They should be here soon I imagine. I was expecting them any time now.

ALF:

Yes well I did manage to catch up with Ric down at the diner a little earlier he was just catching up with Noel and Matilda for coffee. Mind you I couldn’t help but notice he seemed a little tense I hope things are going okay for both him and Matilda in their new flat.

SALLY:

Oh! I’m sure they’ll be fine…speaking of which…

(Ric and Matilda both enter)

RIC:

Knock! Knock!

PIPPA SEN:

Oh! Hello you guys we were just talking about you.

MATILDA:

Nothing bad I hope.

PIPPA SEN:

No, no, it’s all good.

RIC:

We’re not too late for lunch are we?

MATTIE:

(Laughs) Trust you to think about your tummy.

SALLY:

…No, no Ric you’re just in time. I was just about to serve up lunch if you and Matilda would like to join us.

ALF:

So what have you two being getting up to this morning?

MATILDA:

Nothing much Ric and I just met up with Noel down at the boat pier for coffee and I went on ahead, while Ric and Noel talked business.

ALF:

Hmm! What sort of business?

RIC:

Just business! Nothing too important, just work stuff.

ALF:

Let me guess, this business wouldn’t have anything to do with cars, aye?

RIC:

(Tries to force a smile)

SALLY:

(Brings the lunch meal over while the others are engaged in conversation)Here you go guys. My very own chiche of the day, which I took the courtesy of preparing myself!.

(Miles shoots her a look)

…With a little help from Miles and Pippa of course. So everyone just feel free to bog in.

PIPPA SEN:

Yes and I must say it was an absolute pleasure to help out, too.

(Just then the telephone rings)

SALLY:

Oh who’s that ringing at this time? (Goes to answer the phone)

Hello!...Ray!...You’re after Ric, are you?...Right! …Yes he’s right here, just a moment I’ll put him on.

(Calls over to Ric while covering the speaker part with her hand) Ric, phone call for you, Ray’s on the phone.

RIC:

(Gets up from the table excusing himself in the process before taking the phone from Sally)

Hello Ray!...No, no! That’s fine we were just in the middle of lunch I wouldn’t normally this but seeing as this is business I guess lunch can wait. So what’s up?....What sort of news?….What sort of a complaint?...Come again…!

NARRATION:

Everyone pricked their ears in suspense as they listened into Ric’s phone call

RIC:

…Hang on who told you that? where’d you get that idea from?…What did Noel say something too you?...(Grabs hold of a clump of fringe as he brushes his hand through his long, flowing Maine) I don’t believe this… Hang on it wasn’t like that. Ray, mate, you can’t do this to me. This is my job we’re talking about here…Look! I know I stuffed up, okay, and; I acknowledge that I should have handled the situation better than I did, but I can assure I did absolutely nothing untoward to woman to encourage that sort of behaviour over and above being positive and friendly towards her, if she misread the signals then how does that make it my fault?...Okay! I admit, I was out-of-line, I stuffed up and I’m truly sorry for that, okay. I should have come and seen you in regards to the matter earlier on before things got so out of hand, I realize that now and it will never happen again….So you’re firing me, just like that! (Starts sobbing)…Okay! Alright! So what am I suppose to do now, Ray? I worked my but off for this apprenticeship? What am I suppose to do as far as future employment goes?...So are you going to write this up in my records….I see!...But it’s not enough to warrant me a job working at the garage?...Well I guess that’s something…Yeah! …Thanks Ray! (Hangs up the phone)

(Looks around at everyone staring back at him google eyed and all having rather dumbfounded expressions on their faces) Ah that’s was just Ray from work!

SALLY:

Let me guess! You lost your job at the garage!

PIPPA SEN:

Do you care to talk about it?

RIC:

What’s to talk about? I screwed up!

ALF:

Well if you don’t want to talk about it…

RIC:

(Strolls over to the dining table) It seems one my clientele from work went and lodged a complaint against me in regards to “QUOTE”, UNQUOTE sexual misconduct and inappropriate behaviour untoward his wife and that my behaviour has less than professional.

I mean never mind the fact that the woman in question here is nothing more than some desperate, lonely housewife and a cheap little hussy who was busy throwing herself at me the whole time, while I was trying to work, but somehow because she happens to be the rich, high-maintenance wife of Ray’s best client, then that automatically puts me in the FIRING-LINE as far as Rays concern.

(Grabs a glass of wine) So I guess I ought to be saying a big thanks to Viv Anderson, not only for stuffing up my life but also for stuffing up my career.

So here’s to Viv! Cheers Viv! (Swills down the glass of wine before turning his back to make his way up stairs before his haltered in his tracks by Pippa)

PIPPA:

Oh wait on, Ric, What about lunch?

RIC:

What about it?

PIPPA:

Well Sally’s taken the time to make up this nice lunch, aren’t you joining us?

RIC:

Yeah ah! Thanks but no thanks. I’ve lost my appetite. (Storms off up stairs)

CASSIE:

Oh well! That went well. I though!

ALF:

I better go upstairs and check up on him

SALLY:

No, it’s alright, Alf! He’s just received some rather upsetting news. He probably just needs some space.

ALF:

That’s no excuse for his rudeness, Sal. You, Pippa and Miles have just gone to all this effort to put on a meal for everyone and he just storms out in the middle of it, over one lousy phone call, showing a total disrespect towards you and everyone else here.

I’m going to go and have a talk to him.

SALLY:

No! Just leave it Alf, you’ll only exacerbate the problem by getting his back up even more. How ‘bout we just wait for things to calm down a little bit, aye. I’m sure he’ll talk when he’s good and ready.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived