Backpacking / Travelling

Guest Skykat

I'm in the process of planning a trip round the world and have a specific question but I thought I'd open a general thread for people to post their experiences, views, questions etc.

I'm backpacking Australia for 6 months from August and I'm just looking at how to get round. I was wondering if any aussies or previous backpackers might have advice on whats the best way to get around.

Everyone seems to recommend Greyhound but I'm imagining it to be like National Express as in just coach trips to and from destinations, not really too easy to make friends (I'm travelling alone). Does anyone know if Greyhound is what I think or if it's tours between places?

On the otherhand Oz experience seems pretty easy to meet people and seems to have more of a group feel but it's not as flexible and a bit of an over the top party which I can't really afford.

Part of me thinks organised tours might be a good way to go but another part of me thinks I might just be better making my own way. Then the question is do I go with something like Greyhound or do I just pay as I go travel or hire a car?

I like the idea of hiring a car but can't help thinking I might be quite lonely if everyone else is bustouring.

I don't know anything about backpacking or travelling but isn't there a website where you could be matched with people of similar age who want to travel to the same destination? I think they'd check out everyone was okay and you'd be safer travelling with someone. It's just I remember some years ago working with two guys who were talking of doing some kind of working/travelling trip and I'm sure they mentioned a website or travel thing or something :unsure: that you could join. :)

I did Oz Experience last year, going Cairns to Syndey. As a young female travelling by myself for the first time I thought it would be the easiest way to meet people (and to reassure my parents!). I enjoyed it! It was an easy way to meet people, although most people in hostels were really friendly as well. I found that there wasn't too much of the party bus attitude, it really depends on who else is on the bus. They stop on some of the journeys at internesting places and there was a good atmosphere on the buses (except on the really early ones!)

However saying all of that , a lot of people I met were less impressed with them. If you travel up the coast it can be very difficult to book seats on the bus, so they recommend you book well in advance. This isn't particularly helpful if you decide you want to spend longer somewhere than you had originally planned. It depends on how busy it is. Because I went in April/May, it wasn't that busy so I could change my mind on the day. The online booking system is quite good for doing this.

The one problem I had with Oz Experience was the compulsory stops, the one at Surf Camp was great. But the one at the Kroombit ranch was not up my street, but if you're into goat wrestling and horseriding then it's good! Also they can book your hostels but it had to be if you got on the bus in the afternoon, so I tended to book mine and whoever I was with independently. They do tend to recommend the ones that they are affiliated with, such as the Base chain, and can be a little more expensive (and not necessarily worth it!).

For a first time trip I would recommend it, but when (it's not an if!) I go again I would probably use Greyhound as it is slightly cheaper and I would have more of an idea of what to do. I think many single travellers do use Greyhound to get around, so you wouldn't be alone. For hiring a car I found that people posted adverts in the hostels saying when they were going and in which direction.

Hope that gives you a little bit of an idea of Oz Experience and good luck with all your planning! :D

Thanks that's really helpful. :)

I fly into Perth first and am planning to spend a lot of time with a friend who lives there but I was going to try and get a hostel for acommodation to try and meet people. I fly to Alice springs after two weeks and from then on I'm really on my own. I'm thinking I might not book anything and just wait until I get there and book onto something or see whats happening. I'm still really undecided. I want to travel alone, its something i feel I need to do but it doesn't necessarily mean I want to be alone all the time but I dson't want to be tied to people either. Planning Aus has been so much difficult than New Zealand, everyone I've spoken to has raved about the kiwi experience and I'll hopefully be able to meet up with Mez and Joe for abit plus my ticket out of NZ isn't booked but I'm limited to 6 months in Aus and don't want to miss anything. The planning is so much hassle!

My wife and I travel extensively in our caravan. ( perks of being a retiree!! ) We meet many groups of young people who travel with bus tour groups like Oz Experience. Most seem to be enjoying themselves. Another option to consider is hiring a Campervan. There is a cheap range with a group called Wicked Campers. http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/

Most of the groups of young people in the "Wicked Campers" we talked too seemed to be having a great time on a shoe string and the flexibility is great. There are a lot of them on the road and they seem to congregate together so they get to meet lots of people doing the same thing.

The problem with bus touring is the lack of flexibility.

Thanks that's really helpful. :)

I fly into Perth first and am planning to spend a lot of time with a friend who lives there but I was going to try and get a hostel for acommodation to try and meet people. I fly to Alice springs after two weeks and from then on I'm really on my own. I'm thinking I might not book anything and just wait until I get there and book onto something or see whats happening. I'm still really undecided. I want to travel alone, its something i feel I need to do but it doesn't necessarily mean I want to be alone all the time but I dson't want to be tied to people either. Planning Aus has been so much difficult than New Zealand, everyone I've spoken to has raved about the kiwi experience and I'll hopefully be able to meet up with Mez and Joe for abit plus my ticket out of NZ isn't booked but I'm limited to 6 months in Aus and don't want to miss anything. The planning is so much hassle!

I should hope you'll meet up with us miss!! In fact, I hope you'll STAY with us for awhile. I'll be taking some time off work while you're here so best we make the most of that!

I've back packed a fair bit (not Aus b/c I'm from Aus) but I think the best thing to do anywhere is don't book everything too far in advance. I'd get yourself in a hostel and then go from there. That way when opportunities come up you're not tied into something you regret. I geuss what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't book in on Oz Experience, I think it ties you down to a specific route and it's more exciting to be independent. Plus you might meet peopole that you can hire a van with - I'd say travelling by car in Aus is a lot more desirable than bus. About meeting people, I've back packed alone lots and it is really easy to meet people at hostels - just choose your hostels carefully - go for the smaller, more intimate ones and quieter/party depending on what you want :)

I'm coming more and more to that opinion, that I'm best not planning but leaving things more to chance. I'd love to hire a camper but unless I can get people to share with it might prove too expensive.

I'm getting really excited now, its great to hear other peoples stories.

And Mez.. maybe we should meet before you let me move in, what if you and Joe hate me? :P We're definitely gona spend time together though, theres loads you need to show me and I need to get you drunk. :)

Archived