Who was Sam?

Guest Bahorel

Sam was the foster son of Bobby, she then fell in love with and married his father making Sam her step-son. After Bobby's death, Greg (Sam's father) left the Bay and Sam went to live with Michael and Pippa in the caravan Park. When Pippa left Summer Bay, Sam went to live with Donald Fisher (His step-Grandfather) who he called Uncle Donald. He left to be a Pro-Surfer only to return a year later involved with drugs. He then left (sober) to live in Yabbie Creek with his new girlfriend and her baby and as far as I know he still lives there.

Wasn't he also Hayley's "first" and broke her heart, making Will very angry? :P

Wasn't he also Hayley's "first" and broke her heart, making Will very angry? :P

Yes that's right. Hayley thought that Sam had invited her to join him on the surfing circuit, but after their one and only time together he made it clear that she wasn't welcome.

I think that it was during this same short stint in the bay that he was trying to get his hands on his money invested in the diner (via his inheritance from Bobby). The old diner had just burnt down, and he wanted to take his share of the money rather than let Alf and Ailsa use it to open a new diner. I can't remember now how that was resolved.

• 1 year later...

Sam played a really important part in shaping Bobby's character.

She had lost a baby through miscarriage and had been cheated on by her boyfriend (the baby's father) who was married and had a family.

After all this had happened she decided to do fostering and started to look after Sam.

This really helped her grow up and get a lot more confidence. Donald also played a big role as Sam's grandfather and this brought Bobby and Don a lot closer. It also was how she met and married Sam's dad. Sam played a really big role in terms of child actors and was on screen a lot more than Chris or Duncan.

He had got on sweet with Bobby and Greg. But it was bit pointless to keep him after Bobby died because all he was was a little boy and what storylines could he have?

He stayed on the show for way too long.

I disagree - he was a character that provided warmth and at times, a tragic element to the storyline. His bond with Fisher became stronger and stronger, as it did with Pippa and Michael and in the later years it was just nice to have him around, not only because of the sense of history attached to him but because he was a laid back character mirroring a lot of surfer Aussie kids, which played its role in the overall Summer Bay 'feel'.

Archived