Dating culture

Guest Eli

Hi everyone, I'm doing a project on dating culture in different countries, and I really need some help if anyone is willing to take a few minutes to answer some questions about dating.

You can reply to this thread or you can PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting the answers on the board. Your answers will only be used for a school project, and except the answers you submit no other information will be collected and used for this project.

Anyone can answer, but I'm particularly looking for people from Australia, the UK and the USA.

Name (first name only, or nickname):

Current relationship status (single/in a relationship/engaged/married/divorced etc.):

YOUR IMPRESSION

How would you describe the dating culture in your country?

Are there any "rules" when it comes to dating, regarding age difference, the other person's relationship status, social status, race etc.?

What is your impression of the dating culture in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland. USA, Canada and Norway etc.? (OPTIONAL)

What do you think is an appropriate age to start dating?

YOU (OPTIONAL)

How old were you when you first went on a date?

How does your country's dating culture suit you?

What do you expect from people you are on a date with?

Would you say you date often?

How would you describe the ideal date?

Thanks in advance :)

Name Tanya

Current relationship status; single .. recently widowed.. (yes im serious!)

YOUR IMPRESSION

How would you describe the dating culture in your country? Pretty laid back

Are there any "rules" when it comes to dating, regarding age difference, the other person's relationship status, social status, race etc.? Nope as long as you find true happiness then why make rules?

What is your impression of the dating culture in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland. USA, Canada and Norway etc.? (OPTIONAL) Sleazy. Its more gone to one night stands rather then dating.

What do you think is an appropriate age to start dating? realistically 18 but most start at 16 so yeah..

YOU (OPTIONAL)

How old were you when you first went on a date? 19

How does your country's dating culture suit you? pretty well

What do you expect from people you are on a date with? Honesty, Some good laughs..

Would you say you date often? not really

How would you describe the ideal date? few drinks.. movie.. few more drinks .. nothing too serious..

Hope thats ok for ya Eli :)

Name (first name only, or nickname): Kat

Current relationship status (single/in a relationship/engaged/married/divorced etc.): Single (if you don't count that bizzare guy from Barcode! :P)

YOUR IMPRESSION

How would you describe the dating culture in your country? Laid back

Are there any "rules" when it comes to dating, regarding age difference, the other person's relationship status, social status, race etc.? God no. It's more like date who you can, unless your talking about a potential serious relationship, but there's no rules for that either. We generally don't like being cheated on in a serious relationship, but otherwise the people we date can be friendly with, talk to, look like, etc. what they want. Afterall, if you like the guy/girl and he/she makes you happy that's all that counts, right?

What is your impression of the dating culture in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland. USA, Canada and Norway etc.? (OPTIONAL)

What do you think is an appropriate age to start dating? When you feel comfortable with it, there is no wrong answer to that question.

YOU (OPTIONAL)

How old were you when you first went on a date? 14

How does your country's dating culture suit you? Fine by me!

What do you expect from people you are on a date with? That they tell me anything I need to know before we get involved, and that they treat you right.

Would you say you date often? No. I don't really date much, I'm still at an immature stage of 'meet and goodbye'

How would you describe the ideal date? Bar, Movie, Resteraunt, Cinema.... wherever you feel comfortable, probably good to go on a double or a triple date at first if you can and feel comfortable with it.

I know I'm not from any of the above countries mentioned - but I'll reply anyway. :P

Name: Cal

Current relationship status: Single

YOUR IMPRESSION

How would you describe the dating culture in your country? Very casual. There is no "the guy must ask the girl" rule. It's a free-for-all.

Are there any "rules" when it comes to dating, regarding age difference, the other person's relationship status, social status, race etc.?

The age difference would only affect people if they are in school. But if you have finished school, you just date anybody that you are attracted to etc.

What is your impression of the dating culture in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland. USA, Canada and Norway etc.? - They all seem to be very casual. The USA dating is the more Date-Sex-Dump process.

What do you think is an appropriate age to start dating? I'd say mid-teens. You don't have life experience when you are young, so dating wouldn't be a good idea of you were under 13 years of age.

YOU (OPTIONAL)

How old were you when you first went on a date? - Never got to the date part....

How does your country's dating culture suit you? - It suits me very well.

What do you expect from people you are on a date with? - Nothing much. It's a nervous time.

Would you say you date often? - Eh... no.

How would you describe the ideal date? I'm probably going to sound cheap, but the night at home with a movie would be good. Just let the girl pick the movie. :P

Name: Jess

Current relationship status: Single, although there's a bit of mutual attraction between a guy and I

YOUR IMPRESSION

It's pretty laid back, although there's an expectation (from the girls, at least) that the guy will do the asking. The problem comes, however, in the fact that guys don't realise that this is expected of them! We also expect guys (or at least my friends do) to pay for subsequent dates after the first one if the relationship is going well. Again, the guys don't always realise this. So, I guess you could say that there was a bit of a communication problem here?! But as far as who you're "allowed" to date, there's no hard-and-fast rules, although your best friend's crush // ex is never a good idea, obviously! And speed dating is also quite prevalent in the United Kingdom, so I guess us Brits don't really have a problem with dating in quick succession, either.

I think once someone's seventeen or eighteen, I don't think age is important. Under that age, however, for girls especially, there's a bit of an unsaid rule amoung my friends that the age gap shouldn't be that big. I do have this thing where I like the guys I date to have a job... I hate laziness!

What is your impression of the dating culture in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland. USA, Canada and Norway etc.?

I think that the US is a lot more relaxed than us, and that people have sex and then dump. That doesn't seem to so much be the case here...

Whenever you find the right person to date...

YOU

How old were you when you first went on a date?

How does your country's dating culture suit you?

I don't like the pressure from guys, but I guess you find that in any country.

What do you expect from people you are on a date with?

To be honest with me, to respect me and to have fun with me!

Would you say you date often?

Relatively.

How would you describe the ideal date?

Meal at a restaurant and then the pub for drinks for a potential partner that you hadn't known that long.

For an existing partner, if they took you on a date, meal and then a walk on a beach at night.

Gosh, I'm such a soppy, romantic girl at heart! XD

Name: Daisy

YOUR IMPRESSION

Anything goes!

People can be a bit weird about a big age gap. Plenty of people cheat and wife swap but it's not broadcast, that's still a big no-no for most and definitely not talked about openly. Race rarely matters.

What is your impression of the dating culture in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland. USA, Canada and Norway etc.?

It's anything goes like I said before, which I personally don't approve of, some people seem to have no morals! Not everyone is like that, generally I think most people like to casaully date or have a serious boyfriend/girlfriend up until late 20s early 30s when they want to settle down and get married.

Around 15/16, before that I feel is too young especially with so much pressure about sex these days.

YOU (OPTIONAL)

How old were you when you first went on a date? 16

How does your country's dating culture suit you? I maybe a little what is classed as prudish but I'm happy about that, I am however not conservative either and so I wouldn't like to live somewhere with a lot of rules and ideas on what's right and wrong.

What do you expect from people you are on a date with? Honesty most of all and if it's early on, no pressure. Just getting to know each other, having fun.

Would you say you date often? No way

How would you describe the ideal date? I don't want anything too fancy, just a movie, get something to eat, I'm not too fussy.

Name: Aaron

YOUR IMPRESSION

How would you describe the dating culture in your country? Crap! lol. People seem to just get together for sex and that's it.

No rules, but the couple should look suited together.

What is your impression of the dating culture in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland. USA, Canada and Norway etc.? - Well i don't know what the other countries are like, but i'd assume it's the same i mean if you like someone you approach them and ask them out.

What do you think is an appropriate age to start dating? Teens definitely! You need the experience while at school.

YOU (OPTIONAL)

How old were you when you first went on a date? - 17

How does your country's dating culture suit you? - Suits me well.

What do you expect from people you are on a date with? - Keep me company, entertain me haha and not be boring lmao.

Would you say you date often? - Not recently, and no i don't believe in one night stands.

How would you describe the ideal date? There's no real description. If you have a good time on a date then that could be your ideal date.

Name: Renee

YOUR IMPRESSION

How would you describe the dating culture in your country? Extraordinarily casual. And creepily varied. I've had everything from "G'day love, how 'bout it?" to a guy getting down on one knee to ask for my phone number.

Not so much where I live, but in certain parts mixed race dating is still very much frowned upon. Everything else is pretty much just par for course.

What is your impression of the dating culture in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland. USA, Canada and Norway etc.? - Uhm ... I'm sure there's a lot of sweaty palms everywhere.

What do you think is an appropriate age to start dating? Eh, probably around 15 or 16.

YOU (OPTIONAL)

How old were you when you first went on a date? - Oh ... uh ... 13? Maybe? About that age.

How does your country's dating culture suit you? - It's never boring, that's for sure. Well, not until you reach the second date and realise that they don't actually have a personality.

What do you expect from people you are on a date with? - A lot of laughing and probably a little bit of awkward.

Would you say you date often? - Not unusually often.

How would you describe the ideal date? Hmmmmmmmmm ... anything fun, really.

Name: Katie

Current relationship status: Boyfriend/girlfriend

YOUR IMPRESSION

How would you describe the dating culture in your country? It's pretty good everyone dates everyone from different cultures

Are there any "rules" when it comes to dating, regarding age difference, the other person's relationship status, social status, race etc.? Nope i don't think so

What is your impression of the dating culture in Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland. USA, Canada and Norway etc.? It doesn't matter as long as your happy

What do you think is an appropriate age to start dating? Um.... 13 i guess thats wheni started well actually 12 but i honestly don't know but not to young.

YOU

How old were you when you first went on a date? 12 years old

How does your country's dating culture suit you? It suits me fine i guess

What do you expect from people you are on a date with? Nervous, fun but a bit awkward

Would you say you date often? Um... yeah i try it's just a matter of getting our frinds to cover for us

How would you describe the ideal date? Fun, laughing nice food and proberly a good night kiss to end the night.

Archived