Echo Beach

Guest Miranda

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about todays episode..Nothing happened..

And Moving Wallpaper was boring, the only thing I could remember in it that made any impact on Echo Beach was when the guy mentioned he had shaved..When in Moving Wallpaper the 'actor' was shouting that he wouldnt shave unless it was for a storyline, that did make me laugh..But other than that Moving Wallpaper was boring and did nothing for Echo Beach and nothing actually happened in Echo Beach..Although the more I say the name, the more I like it lol

I'm starting to get into Echo Beach a bit more now, tonights ep was a lot better than the first one IMO. I am dying to find out the real reason that Daniel left town 20 years ago, obviously what he told his kids was not the truth.

Oh well here's to next week :lol:

Daily Telegrapth

Poms pound Donovan's comeback

A NEW British TV soap starring former Neighbours heartthrob Jason Donovan has failed to impress British critics, who have branded it "lame" and even "downright insulting".

Two decades after farewelling Ramsay Street as Scott Robinson following his on-screen marriage to Kylie Minogue's Charlene Mitchell, Donovan has returned to the TV soap world as the star of Echo Beach.

Donovan, complete with cut-glass British accent, plays Daniel Marrack, who has returned to a Cornish seaside town where he discovers his ex-girlfriend Susan (Martine McCutcheon from Love Actually and British soap Eastenders) has now settled down with a husband.

But broadcaster ITV has tried to make Echo Beach a soap with a twist.

Immediately before Donovan's soap goes to air viewers are meant to watch Moving Wallpaper, a sitcom about Echo Beach's obnoxious producer and the sometimes dubious means he uses to get the show made.

Many of the behind-the-scenes jokes in Moving Wallpaper are then played out in the soap's storylines.

British TV critics, however, are less than impressed.

Some have likened Echo Beach to Channel Seven's Home and Away or a bad imitation of Ricky Gervais' spoof of the movie world, Extras.

The Guardian's Sam Wollaston branded Echo Beach "lame" and "pretty standard soap fare".

"It all looks like it's an attempt by ITV to copy Extras, with which it shares a lot of ground: TV about TV, in-jokes, real celebrities happy to make arses of themselves and display their own precious neediness (though Martine McCutcheon and Jason Donovan possibly can't really compete with Kate Winslet and Denzel Washington)," he wrote.

"But it's not as well written, nor as funny. And it tries far too hard. The result is a mess."

The Times' TV critic Tim Teeman was equally as unimpressed.

"The show about the show, while not great, has at least some spark, whereas Echo Beach is so laughably bad you start to think it must be the joke show, the one we're not really supposed to take for real," he said.

"The Cornish setting is an almost literal transplant of Home and Away. And the script? Ouch, ouch, ouch: 'Go and never come back,' cries Martine to Jason above the punding surf."

Matt Baylis in the Daily Express felt Echo Beach was "impossible to watch" after Moving Wallpaper.

"It's not a brilliant idea, it's downright insulting," he said.

Gerard O'Donovan from the high-brow Daily Telegraph was the only critic who seemed to warm to the idea of linking a sitcom to a soap.

"It's hard to believe there will be a more intriguing piece of programming in the whole of 2008," he said.

"I mean what a novel idea: putting something on the telly that's so intriguing you can hardly bear to wait for the next couple of episodes and maybe even the next again."

Honestly, these media people :angry:

Donovan, complete with cut-glass British accent

I don't think he's got a cut glass British accent- anyway, what does it matter what his accent is? We all know who he is.

Some have likened Echo Beach to Channel Seven's Home and Away. The Cornish setting is an almost literal transplant of Home and Away.

Duh! That's why we like it! Hot weather, lovely scenery. Its only a bit of fun escapism from real life, critics! Hardly meant to be Shakespeare :angry:

The only things that bother me about Echo Beach is that 1] it might become like Hollyoaks [yawn], and 2] one half hour episode per week won't be enough to get people hooked enough to want it to return.

[oh by the way, Di, interesting to see Duchennes in your signature. My friend died of that last year, so I also support that cause.]

I rarely ever take other peoples opinions of a show/film into view if I would like it.. Sure I listen, but at the end of it..Just because they like/dont like it doesnt mean I am the same.. I will usually take my chance and see if I like it or not.. I take the opinion of a critic even less.. far less.

I know I said in my last post, that nothing seemed to happen in the last episode.. But I do quite like the show and will be watching it again next week (Or whenever it is on..Seems alittle confusing..Its next Friday isnt it?), both Echo Beach and Moving Wallpaper.

I have never seen Extras, so cant really say if Moving Wallpaper is like that and neither do I care.. There are very rarely any unique ideas out there.. Get over it, some things will be alike or have the same idea with a mix.

I also think it needs to decide whether its a soap or not.. If it is.. More than 1 episode a week please.

Archived