Echo Beach

Guest Miranda

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope it does too...

I saw a picture of the cast [in the TV times] and I've already decided which characters are equivalent to those in Home and Away e.g. there is a sporty looking boy, so he must be a Ric or Geoff type character, and one in a striped shirt, so he must be a Lucas type character [because Lucas always seems to be wearing striped tops] :lol: :lol: A highly scientific method of analysis, I know :whistle:

Well... a much anticipated new "soap" from ITV. Although how you can call anything that has only been comissioned for 12 eps a soap is beyone me.

It is also a cop out on ITVs part. As far as I'm concerned they are too scared to market anything as a soap after previous failures (which were only failures because first month ratings are considered important as opposed to letting a show develop) such as Crossroads III. Therefore ITV have decided to trivialise both the genre, their own network, its executives and their new show by prefacing it with a very un-funny comedy, poking fun at it's new soap.

Ben Miller (who is usually fantastic) has lowered himself and Susie Amy has made herself look even more desperate. Some of the jokes although probably true of TV script departments (i.e.: the token asian, sexing up and all that) just lower the impression of not only Echo Beach but every soap ITV has made or currently makes.

Why didn't ITV have the guts to say "this is our new soap" rather than "this is our new soap but we're going to take the p*ss out of it."

The first episode was pretty cliched and unremarkable attempts at comedy were lame and dialogue felt stilted and forced. It seemed more of a postcard for Cornwall's scenery then about drama. I will keep watching and give it time but I can't seem to take it seriously mainly because of the tosh that was shown before it. I know we're not supposed to slag of actors on this forum so I will not name names but some of the performances in this were dire (even those from actors who've stunned us before). Even the so called "eye candy" didn't do much.

It feels almost as if the people in the soap are acting it as a spoof rather than as a true soap, again not helped by the "comedy behind the drama" element. It felt more Acorn Antiques than anything else. I simply cannot believe that it took 3 (yes THREE) writers to churn this out. Showing "Moving Wallpaper" also spoils any surprise element in the story. We know from the comedy half-hour that Daniel choosing to stay will be the cliffhanger of episode 1. And if I heard correctly something will be blown up in episode 4....

Home and Away may be lower budget, higher turnaround and because of its timeslot a lot less realistic (especially in terms of the way teenagers act and speak) but so far it knocks spots of this both in terms of writing, stories, acting and eye candy.

Well, I enjoyed it and I'll be watching it again. It is obviously a copy of Home and Away with the opening titles and all the sunny beaches scenes [presumably they won't film it in the rain], but I've been thinking we should have an English version, so this is it.

I thought it was alright, I was more interested in the teens than the adults though.

I thought both Martine McCutcheon and Jason Donovan over acted when they were together..Maybe its because we dont know what happened (or do we and I just missed it?), but it just seemed like they were over acting for what the show is.

Yes, I thought Martine McCutcheon and Jason Donovan had no chemistry whatsoever and their scene on the beach was terrible. Maybe it will develop as it goes on. I also thought that they should show the spin off series, Moving Wallpaper, AFTER Echo Beach, then it wouldn't give away the story line.

Anyway, its a good distraction from real life :wink:

Archived