I'll Never Give Up!

Guest Channy!!!

CHAPTER 4

MANDATORY PARENT AND TEACHER DAY 5TH JULY! Martha read the sign, ‘oh great’, a mandatory day that revolved around her friends and their parents. It had never even occurred to her that part of the year 11 process was parent – teacher interviews and that she like every other year 11 in the school would have to go. Tasha stood next to Martha, she realised what this meant and took her best friends hand.

“I’m going to go talk to my dad.” Jack said who had also read the sign, he headed towards the HPE block.

Jack knocked on his dads office door.

“Come in” his father voice called. Jack opened the door and walked in.

“Oh hey Jack, what’s up?” Tony asked

“Dad, you know Martha.”

“The girl who you wagged school with.” Tony stated.

“Yes, thats her.” Jack agreed

“Yea what about Martha? I still don’t know why you were so determined for me to not go to the Head of Department about her, her parents deserved to know their daughter is wagging school.” Tony started

“The fact is dad, Martha doesn’t have parents, her parents died in a car crash a month ago.” Jack let it out there.

“What?” Tony was taken aback.

“Yea.” Jack nodded his head.

“Woh, oh I really said the wrong thing the other day.” Tony said worriedly

“Mhm” Jack agreed “but you didn’t know dad, anyways that’s not what I need to talk to you about.”

“Ok,” Tony still looked shocked from the news

“I walked into school today with Martha and her friends and there stuck in huge bold letters is a sign that says mandatory parent and teacher day. What a great thing for Martha to see when she first arrives at school and she was actually sober for the first time in ages.” Jack explained

“So what you are saying is that you want me to go to the Head Of Department and ask for the sign to be taken down.” Said Tony

“That would be good, and I know the sign says mandatory but you can’t tell me that Martha who has no parents has to come and watch her friends with theirs.”

“Ok I see your point Jack I’ll see what I can do. If you ever need my help Jack, if she ever needs my help let me know, the poor girl.” Tony said honestly to Jack, he was upset by the fact that someone so young had to live with the loss of both parents.

“Thanks dad.” Jack walked out of his fathers office closing the door behind him.

“Martha Mackenzie, to the office please!” The loudspeaker announced to the entire school.

Martha sunk low in her chair, ‘oh’ what had she done now, because of Jack’s help she was actually sober for the first time in a while and after the sign and now a trip to the office she really could use a drink. She stood up pulled her skirt down and walked down the aisle, her classmates all stared at her, which was nothing new but she just wished they’d look at their work not her. She headed to the office, she sat on the wooden chair outside the Head Of Departments office, she always felt like she was about to go to jail when she sat on the chair, like she was heading to a trial because she’d committed a crime.

“Miss Mackenzie come in” Brad the Head of Department’s voice came.

“Do you know why you are here?” he asked her after she’d taken a seat in an oversized, overpadded chair that was a vast contrast to the wooden chair outside his office.

“Umm.. wagging class, being rude to teachers?” Martha gave off a list of things that COULD be the reason why she was in there.

“Hmm. no, but we can talk about them later.” A clearly shocked Brad replied. “You’re here because in 2 days is the parent and teacher interviews.” He continued

“Oh.” Martha’s face fell, how she wished she was drunk so this conversation would be more bareable.

“Well I’ve been made full aware of your situation by a close friend of yours father and it saddens me to say that the rules of year 11 state that all students MUST attend the parent – teacher meeting day. I know that you will not be able to have someone attend with you but the fact is that you yourself must attend.”

“Oh” Martha looked down at her lap.

“I can permit you to spend the day doing whatever you like as long as you are within the school grounds and a teacher signs you off for each period. I’m sorry Miss Mackenzie but it is not me who makes the rules, and in the future I will do my best to have these rules ammended.” Brad really did feel sorry for Martha, but there was nothing he could do.

Martha bit her lip just the thought of the dreaded day made her want to cry, or more to the point drown her sorrows.

“Because I feel bad about this situation I am willing to forget the rules you have previously metioned you have broken and tell you not to do it again. Thank you Miss Mackenzie you may leave.” Brad signalled to the door.

Martha stood up, she walked out of the office a little shaken up, and in the need for anything to make her feel better.

“What did they want?” Jack asked he leant on the locker next to Martha, Martha looked away.

“Why’d you tell your dad Jack?” She asked

“Tell my dad what?” he was confused.

“About my parents.”

“Oh because he was bound to find out anyway and I thought he might be able to help get you out of that darn parent-teacher day.” Jack explained.

“I really wish you hadn’t, I just copped a session of the Head of Department feeling sorry for me but saying there was nothing he could do I had to go anyway.” Martha looked at Jack who looked sorry.

“I’m sorry Martha, I really thought it would help.” Jack apologised.

“Well next time can you ask me if I want help first.” Martha replied.

“Ok.” Jack bit his lip he felt bad.

“So anyways, I was wondering if you’d like to go to the movies with me tonight?” Jack asked Martha trying to change the subject.

“As long as I can spike my frozen coke.” Martha said with a smile.

Jack’s face fell,

“I’m joking.” Martha replied. “Are you asking me out on a date Mr Holden?” Martha asked

“Umm.. maybe I dunno if you want to call it that, I’d call it movies and pizza.” Jack said.

“Sounds very datelike to me. I’m sorry Jack Holden I don’t date.” Martha said and walked off.

Jack looked down he’d never been fully rejected before. Martha turned around and smiled she caught a glimpse of a highly disappointed Jack.

“I’m joking again. Yea of course I’ll go to the movies with you Jack aslong as you don’t take me to some corny chick flick and we can call it a date if you like.” Martha said she looked Jack in the eyes. Jack smiled at Martha, ‘yay’ he thought to himself, ‘he just scored a date with the hottest most amazing girl in the school.’

Martha looked in the mirror she fiddled with her hair putting it up then taking it out, she finally decided to leave it out, she ran some product through it. She tugged at the hem of her black dress she was wearing making sure it was flat. She was nervous, she’d never really dated before, I mean sure she’d gone out with guys but it had never been about conversation or because she liked them, it was more because they both wanted something from each other.

Jack walked up Martha’s stairs making sure his hair was ok in the window, he was nervous, he’d never liked a girl like this before. He knocked on the door three times and waited for her to open it. A few minutes later he could hear her unlatching the locks, the door swung open and his bottom jaw dropped well almost, she looked stunning.

“Wow, you look amazing.” He said.

“Thanks, you don’t scrub up too bad yourself” Martha said playfully back. “Well lets get going, we don’t want to miss the movie.” She interupted the little bit of awkward silence between them as Jack looked her over for the hundredth time. Jack opened the car door for Martha who got in, he’d borrowed his dads car for the night.

They stood infront of the movie session board, “So what do you want to see?”

“Umm.. I suck at making decisions, you pick.” Martha replied, she hated decision making.

“What about .......... it’s meant to be pretty scary and it’s a 4.5 star movie.” Jack suggested

“Yeap sure, doubt it’ll scare me though.” Martha said bravely.

“Oh I’m sure you’ll be squeezing my hand tight the whole way through.” Jack replied back.

They bought a large pop corn and frozen coke to share and headed into the fairly crowded cinema sitting up the back left. Martha playfully chucked some pop corn at Jack who threw some back at her as they entertained themselves while waiting for the movie to begin.

‘SMASH’ there was a car crash, they were half way through the movie which had up untill this point scared Jack more than Martha.

Jack bit his lip ‘oh no there was a massive car crash in the movie where a main character lost loved ones, how would Martha take this?’ he wondered. He didn’t have to wonder long an upset Martha walked briskly down the stairs and ran out of the cinema, leaving a stunned Jack sitting there. Jack ran after her but couldn’t see where she had gone, ‘oh great’ he thought to himself ‘she’s going to hate me and I’d thought the date had been going great.’ He looked up and down the empty street and carpark before getting in his dads car and driving to Tasha’s house.

‘knock knock’ he knocked on Tasha’s door hoping that she wasn’t asleep.

“Hello” A tired Tasha opened the door.

“Hey I’m sorry if I woke you.” He apologised

“No it’s ok Jack, what are you doing here?” She wondered

“There was a car crash in the movie that Martha and I went to see on our date, she ran out of the cinema and I can’t find her.” Jack explained quickly.

“Oh no” Tasha looked worried “I think I know where she will be, it’s ok Jack I’ll go.” She turned to get her stuff.

“Tash, I really like her and I want to help her, can you tell me where to go and let me go after her please.” He asked nicely

Tasha turned around and looked at Jack who looked generally upset at Martha’s disappearance maybe he really didn’t want only one thing out of her super hot best friend. She considered whether she’d tell him.

“Ok Jack, you head down to the point follow the path untill you come to a huge tree with a cubby house, take a left at the tree and walk untill you find a cliff that over looks the entire beach she’ll probably be sitting up there. It’s where we used to go and hide away from our parents and the rest of the world when we were kids.” Tasha directed Jack

“Thanks Tash, I owe you.” Jack said greatfully

“Yea, I hope you find her call me if you don’t.” Tasha replied.

Martha sat on the cliff over looking Summer Bay beach, she took another swig of her now three quarter empty but once full bottle of Jim Beam. She picked up a rock and threw it over the cliff watching it plumit into the water metres below.

“God why does life suck so much!” Martha yelled into the emptiness “What did I do to deserve this?” She listened to her voice echo and a cold chill rain down her spine. “Why me” she whispered.

Her head span as she took another swig out of the bottle, she attempted to use her hand to steady her head which felt like it was circling, but it failed. She lay on her back letting the bottle fall from her hand and she passed out.

Jack reached the big tree with the cubby that Tash had told him about he took a left and walked through the light bush untill he reached a clearing. The wind blew in his face and he realised he was standing on a cliff, the view of the beach from up there was amazing, but he wasn’t awed by it for too long. He noticed a body laying on it’s back on the cliff edge, he ran to her.

“Martha!” He yelled but she did not stir. He checked her pulse and was relieved to find that she had one, he ran his hands over her making sure she wasn’t cut at all, he found she was alright, passed out but ok. He slid his arms beneath her petite body, wrapping her arms around his neck, he carried her away from the cliff edge, past the tree, down the path towards his car, he layed her on her side on the backseat checking she was safe.

Jack drove to his house, he opened the front door quietly making sure everyone was asleep he walked back to the car, lifting Martha from the backseat he carried her into the house. He placed her on his bed, he dress was wet and a little muddy from her stumbling through the bush, he unbuttoned her dress, wrapping a blanket around her, he lay her on her side on his bed. Searching for a bucket in the kitchen he found one, he returned to his room and placed the bucket on the floor next to the passed out Martha who still looked extremely beautiful, like an angel sleeping. He brushed the hair out of her face and leant in he placed a soft kiss on her forehead, “goodnight beautiful” he whispered. She didn’t stir, he lay the mattress from his cupboard on his floor and lay down on it, he lay on his side watching Martha sleep.

Morning soon dawned Martha woke with a start, she sat up, ‘where was she?’ she thought she felt that she had no clothes on but her bra and undies. She looked around the strange room and noticed Jack asleep on the floor, it then came back to her, she remembered going to the cliff to think and drink, she must have passed out and Jack must have found her and brought her back to his house to rest.

She didn’t want to wake Jack up but felt the need to wear a shirt, she slowly opened his draw, she found a photo in there. She looked at the photo it was obvious that it was Jack’s mother because the woman looked alot like him, she got a shirt out from underneath the photo and pulled it over her head, still holding the picture in her hand. ‘Why would he keep a picture of his mother hidden in his draw?’ she thought to herself. It occurred to her that she had never heard Jack talk of his mother.

Jack stirred from his sleep and opened his eyes his vision became clear and he saw Martha sitting on his bed holding a frame. ‘Oh no’ he thought to himself as he recognised the frame to be his mothers picture.

Martha noticed Jack stir, “Good morning” she said to him with a smile.

“Morning, how are you feeling?” He asked hoping to keep her mind of the picture in her hand.

“A little seedy” Martha replied honestly “she’s beautiful.”

“who?” Jack asked, but he knew who she was talking about.

“Your mother, Jack. She is really beautiful.”

“Yea.” Jack said quickly he looked away from Martha.

“Where is she Jack?” Martha asked quietly

“who?” Jack tried to play dumb.

“Your mother.” Martha wouldn’t have it.

“She’s......” he paused. “She’s not here.” He turned away completely this time.

Martha looked at Jack’s back she could tell that it was a touchy subject. Then it hit her, he was acting like she acts when people bring up her parents, ‘oh no’ she thought it made sense, the way Jack knew what to say to her, the way he could explain how she was feeling, it all made sense now.

“She’s with them isn’t she?” She whispered

Jack didn’t reply.

“She’s with my parents, isn’t she Jack?” Martha said again.

Jack still didn’t say anything.

“It makes sense, you understand me Jack, you know what to say to me, how to explain what I’m feeling and what I’m going through, it’s because you’re going through it, you went through it too.” Martha paused she really wanted to know what happened but she didn’t want to push him, she decided it was now or never.

“Can you tell me what happened Jack? I’d like to know.” She sat down next to him on his mattress she rested her hand on his shoulder.

Jack turned his head and looked at Martha she really was the most beautiful person he’d ever seen, he looked into her eyes and he saw how much she cared.

“Ok.” He said “ok, I’ll tell you.”

Martha took his hand and held it tight.

“It was nearly three years ago, I was 14 I came home from school to find mum passed out on the floor, she didn’t drink so I knew it wasn’t that, it was something worse. I called an ambulance and the hospital did tests after tests they discovered she had bad breast cancer and they had to operate and take both off. When they opened her up they saw that the cancer had spread, it was too progressed to do anything so they closed her up and gave her a month or so. She wanted to see me into the next year of school, she was so determined, the strongest person I’ve ever known. She lived an extra 3 months and saw me into first semester. It was slow and painful, Dad and I had to watch her die, and we knew that no matter how much we loved her or how much we wanted to do something we couldn’t...” He paused and took a breath. “We couldn’t save her and we couldn’t help. Sure I got to say goodbye but the pain that she went through and how long it took, I wouldn’t wish that on a dog let alone a human.”

“Oh Jack.” Martha squeezed his hand tighter.

“I had to be strong for Dad, he didn’t handle the death that well, so I held myself together. Dad seems to be ok now, but he can never stay in one place for too long. That’s why we moved to the Bay one of Dad’s many moves to try and escape the reality of what he’s feeling. He’ll move to a new town and keep himself busy, settling in after a few months the activity of the new town will wear off and Dad will start to feel lonely and hurt. So he’ll search through house catalogues find a new house, pack up our stuff and move again.”

“So he hasn’t faced what happened?” Martha asked

“He knows that she’s not coming back, but he keeps himself extremely busy so he doesn’t have to think about it for too long.”

Martha shook her head. Jack looked Martha in the eyes.

“You see Martha, you and Dad are alike in a way. It’s been almost three years and Dad is still afraid to learn from the past so he runs from it. You don’t want to be like him Martha; you have to face what happened, so you can move on.”

Martha stared deep into Jack’s eyes, she knew what he was saying was right.

“I know it’s not easy being the ones that are left behind, to deal with the loss. But they really wouldn’t want us to be running or drunk all the time, they’d want us to be happy and move on. I want to help you and maybe if I can help you then somehow it’ll help Dad.” Jack explained

“Ok, I’m going to try Jack, I’ll try to be stronger, but I’m really going to need your help.” Martha whispered.

“I know, I’ll never give up on you, I’ll be there every time you fall.” Jack promised.

Martha rested her head on Jack’s shoulder and they sat together in silence.

Preview: Being there every time she falls.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love Jack. :wub: He's so caring and thoughtful.

Poor Martha! :(

Poor Jack and Tony! :(

“I know, I’ll never give up on you, I’ll be there every time you fall.” Jack promised.

So sweet! :wub:

Unfortunately, she's going to fall again, isn't she? :( Oh well, Jack'll be there to help her.

Please update soon.

That was so sad! I feel so sorry for Jack and Tony and Martha :(

Jack is so sweet :wub: He’ll help her through this, I can feel it :wink:

I loved the last part, it was really well written! ^_^

Martha’s going to fall again, isn’t she? Now that she finally managed to be sober :( Well, at least Jack’ll be there to catch her

More please!

that was so beautiful and loving and sweet. Jack is having to deal with moving to a new town because tony cant deal even after three years and the fact that jack will be there everytime martha fall's is extremely loving...

well done can t wait for the next chapter :lol:

CHAPTER 5

Martha walked through the school gates and wished that she could be any place other than at school especially today. She seriously considered leaving the grounds and going to the beach but the parent – teacher interview day was mandatory, so she continued up the path.

“Martha!” she heard a voice call after her, she turned around and spotted Aden running after her.

“Hey Martha come over here for a second.” Aden lead Martha towards a brick wall out of site. “Do you want one of these?” He showed her a pill. “It’s a new party drug, nothing to serious just enough to make everything go faster and make you happy.” Aden offered Martha the pill.

“Oh no, it’s alright aye, I’m going sober today.” Martha knocked the offer back.

“Oh c’mon Mac, I know you aren’t drinking anymore for Jack, but do you really want to be sober today? Watching all the others with their happy families?” Aden persuaded he could tell Martha was thinking about it. “You can’t smell the drug, Jack probably won’t even notice, you used to be the party queen, you’re going soft.” He continued

Martha looked at the drug and then at Aden, what he said about not wanting to see the happy families was really true, she took the pill out of Aden’s hand.

“Do you have a drink?” Martha asked

“Yea here” Aden handed Martha a bottle, Martha put the pill in her mouth brought the bottle to her lips, tipped and swallowed.

Jack waited for Martha to get to school; he was beginning to get worried she was 10 minutes late.

“Jack!” He turned towards the familiar voice as Martha leapt on him to give him a hug.

“Hey, you’re late.” Was all he managed to get out.

“Am I?” Martha asked

“Yea.” Jack answered, as Martha pulled of him.

“It’s really good to see you Jack!” Martha said with a huge smile.

“Yea you too, have you been drinking Martha?” Jack asked sternly to the extremely happy Martha.

“Nope” Martha said honestly

“Are you sure?” Jack quieried

“Yeap!” Martha replied

“Hmm” Jack looked her over, she didn’t smell like alcohol but this mood was really out of character.

Martha wobbled a bit on her feet as her head spun and her sight went blurry, she lost her footing, but luckily Jack saw the signs and caught her before she hit the ground. He lifted her off the ground and began carrying her towards the only place he could think of, his father’s office he would ask him for help.

“You’re always saving me Jack, you’re my knight in shining armour, and you’re my superman.” Martha mumbled before she lost consciousness. Jack carried her towards the HPE department, ‘lucky everyone is in class’ he thought to himself.

‘Knock knock’ he knocked on his fathers’ office door.

“Jack!” Tony exclaimed as he opened the door to reveal his son carrying Martha. “What happened is she alright?”

“She’s passed out Dad, I guess the whole parent – teacher day was too much for her to bear.” Jack replied carrying her into the office and laying her on a coach at the back of it. “Can she stay here until she sobers up a bit? She can’t be busted for drinking at school, they’ll suspend her.” Jack pleaded his father to help.

“Yea alright she can stay; I’ll go get some water and a bucket.” Tony answered

Jack knelt beside Martha placing his hand on her forehead he felt she had a temperature, ‘hmm’ he thought that wasn’t normal. Running his hand down her arm he placed two fingers on the inside of her wrist and was stunned when he found her pulse was racing extremely fast.

“Dad!” Jack yelled

“yes” his father answered “What’s wrong?” Tony walked towards a worried Jack.

“Feel her temperature and how fast her pulse is.” Jack directed

Tony felt both and looked worried. “I don’t think she’s passed out from alcohol, I’m going to call and ambulance.”

Jack’s face dropped his fear had just come true.

Jack walked briskly after the paramedics who were pushing Martha on a stretcher into the emergency room.

“16 year old girl, unconscious, suspected drug overdose, Martha Mackenzie.” One of the paramedics told the doctor.

Martha disappeared into one of the rooms, Jack tried to follow but the nurses ordered him to stay out, he sunk into a chair outside the room placing his head in his hands.

Dr Armstrong walked out of Martha’s room, Jack jumped to his feet.

“How is she?” He asked

“She’s still unconscious, test results have shown that she has taken a new party drug that reacted badly, she is stable now it’s just a waiting game for when she wakes up.” She answered

“Can I go see her?” Jack looked pleadingly

“Yes but please keep it too, less than 3 people in her room at all times.” The Doctor advised.

Jack opened the door and was shocked when he saw Martha she was so pale and wore an oxygen mask. For a second he thought twice about going closer, he considered leaving, it reminded him so much of his mother in hospital. But this was Martha and he had promised he’d be there every time she fell. He forced himself to walk towards her, he ran his hand over her pale face and took her hand in his, he leant forwards and kissed her on the forehead.

“Oh Martha please wake up.” He whispered.

Martha stirred she opened her eyes slowly and was almost blinded by the bright hospital lights, she was scared as she looked at the ceiling confused about where she was. She felt a familiar touch holding her hand and she squeezed Jack’s hand slightly. Jack woke up from his sleep automatically he got to his feet and looked at Martha.

“Jack” Martha said.

“It’s ok, I’m here.” He replied still clasping her hand, he ran his other hand over her forehead.

“What happened?” Martha asked.

“You don’t remember?” Jack looked worried.

“No” Martha replied

“You had a bad reaction to a party drug.” Jack explained

“Oh,” Martha looked sorry. “I’m sorry, Aden offered me the drug, he said it’d make the day go quicker, I really didn’t want to see everyone with their happy families.” Martha apologised

“It’s ok, it’s fine” Jack comforted but his mind was racing how DARE Aden give Martha drugs, he would deal with him.

Jack walked towards the surf club briskly he had only one thing on his mind and that was dealing with Aden. He didn’t even have to go into the surf club, Aden was already leaving.

“OI!” Jack shouted after him. Aden turned around.

“Yea?” Aden replied. Jack walked up to Aden and with one quick movement his right fist connected with Aden’s cheek bone with a thud. Aden fell to the ground.

“Don’t you EVER give Martha drugs, she could have died you di*k head. If you want to be a no hoper then fine but leave Martha out of your messed up life!” Jack yelled abuse at Aden, then turned and began walking away. Aden got to his feet.

“You think you can just come into town and make a move on the hottest girl in the Bay, claim captain of the football team and become the most popular guy in the school without anyone caring? You’re wrong Jack Holden, I’m not about to let you take all the things that some of us guys have worked so hard for. You can’t just fix Martha, she’s not a toy, have you ever thought that maybe Martha doesn’t want to be fixed maybe she was happy the way she was?” Aden yelled after Jack.

Jack controlled his anger and just continued to walk away.

Preview: Martha and Jack’s first kiss.

Archived