Out of the Blue

Guest Dan F

Wow... the acting completely put some of the H&A cast to shame. I think I may have shed a few tears through the Jarrod scenes. And as for Debora breaking down and Daniel trying to comfort her... awesome moments.

Loved the scene where Lucia said the L word and Daniel couldn't respond. His face was hilarious!

One thing I found very off was Bec being quite cold when talking to Gabby. I know it was going for a reaction like Stavva's but to me it was almost like she was... glad that Jarrod is all on his lonesome now.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The revelation of the murderer was a shock to me. Can't remember if

that was the episode where the murderer followed the dying Philby in their car. That scene chilled me to the bone as his staggering body was lit by the headlights of the car until he wore out and fell dead on the ground. Far more shocking than blood and guts and screaming. Brrrrrrrrrr

Wow what a week. Firstly I really liked the scene where Tess overheard Daniel on the phone and after he went upstairs checked his bag and found his dad’s skull. Debra’s reaction when she came home and discovered this and Daniel’s subsequent revelation was brilliant and then when he found Tiger on the beech forced the confession out of him and stormed off was a really good way to end that episode. I particularly liked the music they played during the last five or so minutes as it suited the theme perfectly.

Onto the killer. To be honest I’m not very perceptive when it comes to stuff like this so the “reveal” was a complete shock. I remember saying how much I liked her at the start, albeit I thought she was a bit insecure but she seemed like a nice lady. What surprises me most of all was the complete and total disregard she showed for some her oldest/closest friends and family in order to save her own neck. She was prepared to let Addo rot behind bars. She tried to frame Becka and she knew the police were questioning her own husband so obviously suspected that he was involved in Philby’s murder somehow, not to mention the amount of trouble Staffo went through at the start of the investigation. This whole thing has shown her to be quite selfish and manipulative. And again regarding Becka I still feel as though there was some residual jealousy obviously with her being the love of Jarrod’s life at some point.

The sad thing is this all could have been avoided. What happened with Jason was an accident and had she simply had gone and told someone at the time, then Philby wouldn’t have had a hold over her for so many years. Also had she simply been honest with Jarrod then again she might not have needed to kill Philby. Even if he had mentioned something about Jason there is no way he could have proven it as there was no body. It was his word against hers. In spite of that I still don’t see her as an evil person and I don’t even dislike her. She needs help though because she didn’t see what she was doing was wrong.

The person that annoyed me the most was Philby. He was the real villain. Even though his dad tried to assault Becka he still killed him, disposed of his body and lied to his own mum for years. When Jason went off the boat he stopped Traci from getting help and coerced her into keeping quiet for his own selfish reasons. He could have helped to save his life. He slept with Gabbi then dumped her like a ragdoll. He was involved in an armed robbery and blackmailed Traci purely for financial gain. Then he makes some token appearance and expects to be a changed man and to just start from scratch.

It was good watching the reactions of the various characters upon finding out who the killer was. That was one of the things I was looking forward to.

Anyway considering the stuff that happened with Blade, I’m surprised Becka initially refused to treat Traci in the hospital. Perhaps there was some resentment as she felt an obligation to be loyal to Philby because he killed his own dad for her. As someone already mentioned Becka was quite cold. That was one of the reasons why I didn’t like her initially. I also find her personality quite patronising and feel at times she lacks empathy. Now that Traci’s effectively out of the picture, it’s a real concern seeing the way Becka is with Jarrod. I quite like the setup she has with Stephen and Christen but feel that part of her is still in love with him and would hate to see her ruin what she has with her current family.

On a more positive note it was good to see Daniel and Lucia reconcile. He seems to show a different side when he’s with her. Such as when her mother came to clear the air with Debra he was very polite to her. I’m just not sure I like the way the way her family are only appearing to be nice to her as some sort of master plan to break them up because I do feel that he could change.

Ah Slade, thanks for your post, I love reading what 'newbies' to OOTB think. There is more to come about this situation. So much more! :D

Do you think its a good idea to reveal the name of the murderer or do you think it should still be kept secret [anyone?].

A couple of really good episodes.

Good scene with Traci and Detective Wilson when she asked him if he hated her just as he was about to take her statement. Quite liked the speech he gave about how what she did ruined/affected the lives of people who included her closest friends. Funny how she referred to Jason in the present tense during her interview. I wonder what the significance of that is.

I loved the way Staffo and co decided to confront her. I was really looking forward to that and I’m glad I wasn’t disappointed. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him get so annoyed even regarding the way he was towards Daniel after he thought he’d run his mother over. He had such fire in his eyes and was looking at her with utter contempt. That cop looked as though he felt sorry for her. It’s funny because in spite of everything I actually do sympathise with her too. I was a bit surprised he let everyone have a go at her, in her condition though. I thought he would have stepped in.

Becka is starting to annoy me again. It’s just her whole holier than thou attitude. Traci wasn’t the one who said she may have caused her spinal injury it was the police officer but she’s acting as though this is some sort of vendetta by her. I also get the impression that she’s more annoyed that Traci tried to frame her as opposed to committing two murders.

It’s very gratifying to see Peta and Poppy get some comeuppance (well kind of). For the first time Poppy didn’t seem to get stroppy with him as she knew what was at stake. The thing that really gets me is the fact that Peta took to the moral highground with Marcus about wanting to stay married purely for financial gain and then we find out that she does this (I’m not sure if you have to take some sort of oath to actually practice legally). I know the person she framed was a dangerous criminal but people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. Again really pissed off when she called Debra out after she framed her accountant. Totally hypocritical if you ask me.

I hated the way Staffo was treating Daniel during the dinner and I loved Daniel’s comeback after he hinted that he ran his mother over. He did extremely well to remain calm, rise above all the snide remarks and was genuinely trying to make an effort with them. I liked the conversation he had with Pia and was impressed with how she handled the situation.

I have to say that scene with Zoe, Traci and Jarrod in the hospital was extremely difficult to watch. Very sad indeed and great acting BTW.

I have to say that scene with Zoe, Traci and Jarrod in the hospital was extremely difficult to watch. Very sad indeed and great acting BTW.

Yes, I've been in tears many more times watching OOTB than HAA [because of good acting I mean, not bad!]

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve still been watching this. In no particular order.

When Becka and Jarrod argued at his place and they were about to kiss but Becka withdrew my worst fears were realised. I think it’s pretty obvious that they’re both still in love with each other (or at the very least she’s still in love with him). And I was shaking my head at her proposal to Steven. Kirsten didn’t seem to mind at all. It’s all going to end in tears. I just know it.

I wondered what happened to that guy who claimed that Addo owed $100000 after Daniel scarred him off. And I didn’t really buy his explanation that he was looking for the actual people who owed him the money rather than Addo who was guilty by association. Does he actually think Addo’s going to be able to pay him back? It will be like getting blood out of a stone. Not sure what role that woman’s going to play and she seemed genuine when she was discussing the matter with him and Staffo but I’m still not sure if she can be trusted.

Still feel very sympathetic to Tracey at the moment (despite her being a double murderer). When she was all alone in the cabin after being abducted and missing her daughter, I felt really sorry for her. As I thought Sam did too in his own funny sort of way. He obviously has issues as he thought just because he felt he could sympathise with her he should elope with her and Zoe, after murdering Ron. It’s all been for nothing though because he’s got the wrong person so a change of plan is required.

It’s a shame about Daniel being set up like that (as even Pia who had been warming to him now thinks the worst) but he’s only got himself to blame. Had he not been arrested at the cabin I wonder what he would have done to Tracey. I actually felt given the right circumstances he might have changed (such as the way he was helping Pia and Lucia before he took off). I liked his smugness with the Sam when he was released and loved Debra’s line firstly when Daniel accused her of not being quick enough and she said “A thank you would be nice”. And then when she asked how he could be so stupid as to kidnap Tracey. Not actually blaming him for committing something as serious as abduction but simply for being foolish. Good to see her sticking to her guns, refusing to go to the Christening if certain people (Peta, Poppy etc) are present.

Great comments, it's great to hear what somebody new to the show thinks, seeing as some of us on here are watching it for the second (or third) time!

Deborah is nothing if not consistent, eh?

I think H&A has been doing a bit of 'story twists' recently ala OOTB...they have half the cast in Summ,er Bay and not they seem to have adopted the storylining style. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

The claws were out with Becka at the dinner party. I found myself grinning through the whole thing. Angela seems like an interesting character she’s obviously been brought in to stir things up and cause trouble – Just what I like. She’s sort of like an Amanda/Jazz/Nat type clone. Gold digging, money grabbing, manipulative etc. It’s funny how Poppi referred to her as a Marcus clone but then they were laughing and joking with each other at the table. I loved how she deliberately let the cat out of the bag and Becka went ballistic, chucked everyone out then Staffo and Poppy took food and a bottle of wine with them. Interesting how defensive over Becka Kirsten was. I also liked the chat they had with Angela the next day when she made a comment about getting off to a bad start and Steven replied “You completely ruined our evening”. I also liked seeing Becka’s suspicious face.

Addo really cracks me up sometimes. When he was pitching for the space to build the luxury apartments he looked absolutely petrified then his reaction when Olive announced she had already given Reynolds a deposit for Peta and Poppy made me smile. They are playing a very dangerous game which could potentially backfire. Perhaps it would be better to inform the police. I think Addo and Amber definitely like each other but I think the problem is Staffo. He’s been a real mate to him trying to help out with Reynolds so it would be like stabbing him in the back if they got together.

Good to see Daniel actively on the side of the “good guys”, working with Gabbi, Poppi and Addo. I have to say though after a good build-up the whole thing with Brian, his family and Sam was a major anticlimax. They could have carried it on for a little while longer. I’m still glad Daniel saved the day (even though I thought he got there way too quickly). Once again glad to see Debra acting nice to Pia after she thanked Daniel for his efforts. And good too, to see her stubborn side upon Peta’s revelation that should would be representing Traci.

I felt really sorry for Traci. The way she was with Jarrod reminded me more of the Traci that I really liked before this stuff came out. The one that loved her husband and daughter and just wanted to keep her family together. She came across as very selfless not wanting Steven or Peta to become involved in her defence because it could potentially cause problems with Tess and Becka. I would really like her to get off but I don’t think she’s psychologically disturbed so the breakdown argument wouldn't work i.e. Aden. Also I’m not sure it sets a very good precedence someone walking after killing two people but I think the first one could definitely be pushed to manslaughter because there was no way she intended to kill Jason.

Could someone please tell me when OOTB was broadcast in Australia how many days a week it was on?

Archived