Intertwined Lives

Guest xmienkiex

A/N: Thanks for the replies everyone! Yeah...here are two more chapters...which means after this there are only two left! I'd comment but I'm on my gran's old computer lol!

Chapter 12 – Afraid of hurting each other

To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already three parts dead.

- Bertrand Russell

Jack lay on Martha’s bed, his arms around her protectively as they lay and watched their daughter sleeping soundly on the little bed Kim had brought in there. Martha had been so hysterical the whole day that she found it extremely hard to relax. Jack’s arms around her were suddenly the only place she felt safe.

It was like home – the two of them together lying on the bed that had once been their wedding bed. So full of love, overflowing with love. After five years they were together again and Jack knew at that moment that he would never let her go again. He shifted his head so his gaze fell onto Martha.

In his mind he made a promise right then and there that he would never put his work or anything else in front of Martha and Emma ever again. He promised to work at his marriage and make it work – because he loved her with his whole heart. She was his one and only, how she could doubt that he never knew, and Jack was pretty sure that he was hers.

“When I told you that that night didn’t change anything…” Jack’s voice faltered as Martha shifted so she could look up at him. “I meant it differently than it came out. That night didn’t change anything – you were still my only love.” Jack sighed as he mentally gave up. The words were just not coming out the way he wanted it too.

Martha gazed at him through guarded eyes as she slowly took in what he said. “You were always the one Jack – but you broke me.”

“If I remember correctly we both broke each other.” Jack intervened.

Martha sighed as she nodded. “Doesn’t change anything. Who says we can make it work this time around?”

“Who says we can’t?” Jack challenged.

Martha looked away sadly.

“Look, nobody says it’s going to be easy. But we can do it – I’m not letting you go without a fight this time.” He paused as he let his hand come up to stroke her cheek lovingly. “I love you Martha Mackenzie. I love you and our daughter.”

A single tear slid down Martha’s cheek. “I love you too Jack. Always have.”

The kiss that followed was sweet, not rushed or too overly passionate. It was like a test – to see if anyone would flinch away from the contact. What was more important was that it was an indication to both of them that all the old feelings were still there.

“You can be as scared as you want to be but in the end you know I’m right. We belong together Martha, we’re soul mates.”

Martha giggled. “Oh you girl!”

Jack smiled happily. “Yeah but you know you love me.”

“That I do.”

They joked for a couple more minutes, sharing light kisses in between the banter.

“If we do this – we do it slowly this time.” Martha finally spoke as she made herself comfortable in his arms once more. “For Emma and our own sakes.”

“Slowly.” He agreed and kissed her forehead lovingly.

This time he would make sure it worked, even if it took him forever to prove to her they were meant to be together forever.

Chapter 13 – Accident

Many people die with their music still in them. Too often it is because they are always getting ready to live – before they know it – time runs out.

- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Fritz sighed as she drove the police car down the abandoned old road. She had had just about enough of Jack’s complete love addicted attitude – not that she was jealous but because Martha and Emma was the only thing he ever talked about. He had even told the same story of Emma four times in a half an hour. It was enough to make her want to kill him with her own two bare hands.

Jack sat in the passenger seat, looking around the road. Usually he was always behind the wheel but Fritz had given him an ultimatum – sit down and shut up before she killed him. So he did just that because he really didn’t need anyone else against him at that moment.

It was a month after he and Martha came back together and things were only looking up in every aspect of their lives. They were closer than ever and Jack had a close relationship with his daughter. Alf was healing and resting fine and could go back to work soon – which would mean Martha and Jack would have more time together. Everything was just coming together.

Over the police radio the announcement came that there was a car accident on one of the roads. Fritz responded that they were the closest car and would be there within minutes.

What they found would give them both horrors for the rest of their lives.

At the intersection one car had driven right into another one – causing it to roll over the cliff. The man that caused the accident was trapped in between his seat and the dashboard. The other car lay on its top at the bottom of the cliff.

Jack immediately started to tend to the man as he called for an ambulance. Fritz made her way towards the other car swiftly.

“Are they…are they okay?” the driver breathed out – every word pulling the pain further into his body.

Jack shook his head. “I’m sure they’ll be fine sir, but right now I have to concentrate of making sure everything is fine with you.”

The driver was crying as the ambulance arrived. He cried helplessly about the little girl’s eyes that he saw.

It was only then that Fritz returned to the scene.

Her face was shocked as she immediately raced to get someone down there. Jack turned to her as the back up arrived and he felt his stomach drop. Fritz always had a hard persona that worked extremely well because of all the things they saw. She was rarely shocked pale.

Right at that moment she looked like she had been haunted by every ghost in the world.

“Fritz!” Jack shouted as he neared her.

Fritz pushed up her hands, blocking him from going further. “You need to get back into the car now Jack.”

Jack stared at her, confusion written all over his face. “What are you talking about?”

Fritz sighed but kept pushing him back. “Please Jack!”

They quarreled like that until the driver was removed and the medical help brought up the passengers of the other car.

Jack’s world fell apart.

On the two stretchers were Martha and Emma.

Martha was covered in blood and cuts and bruises while Emma seemed to be a bit better off – only wearing a few cuts on her face. They were giving unconscious Martha oxygen as Emma cried out.

Jack screamed out in absolute terror as he ran over to them but the medics stopped him by rushing Martha away. Emma screamed for him and helplessly he rushed to her side.

“Tell me what’s wrong with Martha!” he practically ordered the medic who pushed Emma’s stretcher into the ambulance. Jack climbed in after them – refusing to leave her. “I’m her father.” He barked out as they tried to get him to leave.

“Sir you need to calm down. Right now I know nothing more than that this little girl here was found in her mother’s arms. Her mother saved her from getting more hurt.”

Jack’s tears fell as he clutched Emma’s little hand. Martha might have just sacrificed her life for their daughter’s. And somehow the world around him crashed into hell.

A/N: Hey guys, second last chapter! Check out if I kill her off or not!

Chapter 14 – Surviving

He lies awake wondering how he’ll steal her heart. But what he doesn’t know is that he stole it from the start.

“Emma sustained minor cuts to the face so she’ll be fine.”

“And Martha?”

“By protecting Emma, her body took most of the blow. She sustained mild cuts to her face but some serious ones to her arms and legs.”

“Was that why there was so much…”

“Blood? Yes, Martha lost quiet a substantial amount of blood, but she’s young so her chances on a full recovery are good.”

“But not 100% right?”

“Jack, in medicine nothing is ever 100% certain.”

Jack slept restlessly next to Martha, his face near her hand just in case there was any movement. She had been heavily drugged during the surgery and she’d been out of it since then. Never once did he leave her side – not even to check up on Emma. In his mind, Emma was safe with Kim and Alf and didn’t need to have her father checking up on her every few seconds as well. He was needed at Martha’s side.

Martha’s hand moved a fraction of an inch – immediately causing Jack to sit up.

He stroked his hand across her cheek but still her eyes remained closed.

Jack sighed. “Wake up Sweetheart. Please please wake up.”

His pleading was only met by more silence from her.

“You saved Emma – you saved her from getting more hurt. That was so brave of you and I don’t think I could have done what you did.”

“But right now you need to open your eyes for me Martha… I need you to hear me tell you how much I love you. You need to hear that I will never let you go again. This – us – we’re soul mates in everyway that counts. Come back to me and Emma so we can all be together as a family. Husband, wife, daughter – the whole thing.”

Jack paused, looking down at Martha’s hand as he intertwined their fingers. “When you came back everything changed but I know that I want you as my wife – now more than ever. I know what happened and I can’t change the past, no matter how much I want to. But Martha, it will be different, we will be different. We’re older and wiser and I know that we both realize we were wrong. Emma has to get to know her parents together. I want her to grow up with a mother and a father in one house.”

Martha slowly opened her eyes as Jack continued to stare down at their hands.

“You and me – our lives have been intertwined since the day we met. You can’t just turn your back on a bond as strong as that. So please, don’t leave me.”

Martha coughed loudly and Jack’s head jolted up. She motioned towards her throat and Jack instantly helped her with some water. His eyes were brimming with tears that he didn’t want to shed but almost felt like he had to. Martha’s half-dazed smile made his heart jump.

“I love you too.” Martha forced out and Jack smiled as he made soothing noises, convincing her not to speak.

“You and me,” Jack started as Emma came rushing into the room. “We can do this.”

In complete silence they stared at each other as Emma embraced each one before snuggling up – as much as she could giving the fact that Jack held her back as not to hurt Martha – to her mother.

Jack looked at the two women in his life and gave a life-changing smile.

This was his family, this was his home.

A/N: To everyone who has read and replied to this, my first ever Jack/Martha and Home and Away story, I just want to say a big thank you. You have made my day by enjoying and liking this story. Right now, I'm busy with a whole lot of stories that I probably shouldn't be writing, so hopefully soon I'll write another one - even if it's just a one-shot.

Chapter 15 – The future

With you I should love to live, with you be ready to die.

- Horace

In hindsight, it seems like I should have known my life would never be anything near a fairytale. True – I had the love and the daughter – but the way I had to fight for it was entirely like a real life drama. A soap opera of some sorts. But that isn’t exactly a bad thing; I have learned to appreciate the love of a good man and the life I live. Jack will always be my true love – the man I wake up for in the morning and the reason I go to bed at night. Little Emma, she’s the beginning and end of our lives together and I love her to bits.

But you probably want to know more about our future right?

A year after the accident Jack and I married again – this time in a very small ceremony. Alf, Kim, Rachel, Claire, Bernard, Lucas and Tony were the only guests and that was how I liked it. Emma stood with us the entire time and somehow that made it all the more special.

Then soon after Zachary Bernard Holden was born – Emma was 7 and extremely excited at having a baby brother. One year later, exceedingly tired from raising two children, twins joined our little family. Isabella Claire Holden and Simon Alfred Holden were the last to join the family and after that I pulled the line. I was exhausted from raising so many children and when Emma was 10, Zachary was 3 and the twins were 2.

Jack still stayed on as a constable, but he made sure to spend enough time at home with the children. He was a completely doting father for our four children. Even Emma, who had spent four years of her life without her father, was entirely besotted with Jack.

Kim and Rachel married in the summer of Emma’s 10th birthday.

So, the question has to be asked, if I had known what I know now – would I have run from Summer Bay all those years ago?

Yes, yes I would.

In running I learned one crucial fact – that life is tremendously short and what we have today could be taken away from us at any second. I learned what true love is and that anything worth having is worth fighting for.

“Emma!”

Emma turned around with a giggle. “Yes Dad?”

Jack smiled as he held onto her arm lovingly. “Nothing, just sad at seeing my little girl go.”

She kissed her father on the cheek as a grin spread over her face. “Oh Daddy I’m 25!”

“You’ll always be my little girl.”

He led her down the aisle towards a husband that would care and love for. He led her towards her crying mother and adoring siblings – Zachary, 18, Isabella and Simon, 17.

And as Emma Lilly Holden married the man of her dreams, she prayed that their love would be as true and everlasting as her parents’ love is.

The happily ever after end…

Comments.

Archived