The Disasters of Summer Bay

Guest monkeyhound

How many major disasters has the Bay had? Both natural, and major events.

There was the cyclone in the '05 finale, and I remember a mudslide in 2000 (I've been watching on and off for years). But I think I read somewhere that there was an earthquake?

And lets not forget numerous fires, explosions, crashes and stalkers. :rolleyes:

Oh, and one I don't know very much about is the big boat sinking in 2002? What happened? All I remember is Kane and Kirsty and Shelley being stuck in the bush.

Yes...Summer Bay is one of the more unlucky towns in Australia. I'm sure it's made many news headlines of disaster.

Please elaborate! XD

I think the Mirigini boat sinking was something to do with an anniversary (I think it was the 3000th episode, can't remember what the Summer Bay anniversary was though) and it got lost at sea or something.

I think disasters are good in moderation, as they can bring a storyline to a climax and bring out the emotions in a characater, giving the actors a real chance to show what they can do.

In my opinion the Sarah Lewis cliffhanger has to be the best...not really a disaster, but it really brought out the best in the actors and characters, and brought the storyline to a climax.

Hmm let me see,

Natural disasters

There was an earthquake around ep 2000 in 1996 and there was also a storm/flood that drowned Michael in the same year tho I can't recall if they were separate incidents or not.

The mudslide in 2000, burying Ailsa,Jade,Duncan and Shauna and claiming Gavin's life as he looked for Shauna in the collapsed house.

The sudden storm that sank the Mirgini in 2002 involving many cast members past,present and guest. Miraculously (or implausibly?) noone died.

The cyclone in 2005 that trapped someone in a live van and Flynn had to risk his already cancer weakened life to disengage the power cable.

A storm in 2007 that caused Brad and the lads to be stuck at sea and the girls to all be at the Surf Club expecting the worst. Again all survived.

A guesty,'Rory?', was eaten by a Shark,whilst surfing, in about 1989, it also ate part of the surfboard for some unknown reason!

anything else?

For some reason i thought it was 150 years of Summer Bay?!

And no it wasn't episode 3000 but it was much better than episode 3000. Episode 3000 was around the time Leah and Vinnie got married, Alex and Dani rode Brodie off her bike and Will and Gypsy had sex in a car/Mitch left.

There was another cyclone back in 97. It wasn't as good as the 06 one though, it was more of a character driven disaster in the sense it was about bringing people together. There was a bush fire in 95 in which Don's house burned down and Irene's husband died but it was later revealed he had been murdered.

The best disasters IMO were the 2002 Mirgini Disaster and the 2000 Mudslide thang.

The 2006 Cyclone...hmm i don't remember it at all! and i can't find it on youtube..don't know whether its uploaded anywhere? I know Kim was drugged up and it was Rachel's introduction, but nothing else comes to mind.

I was an avid viewer in 97 but can't rememeber the cyclone.....i remember Angel's house being destroyed in 96 after that earthquake..but the earthquake wasn't that exciting either? It had the not so great Selina who funnily had the classic Selina hairband!! gotta feel for Angel cos her memories of Shane were taped over by Power Rangers too!!

I thought the 06 cyclone was good. It mixed with all the cliffhangers and lasted several episodes, yet IMO, had a weak ending to it.

The 04 Olympic Cliffhanger :o Would probably be the best. It was really freaky the way they did it and all the camera angles and music etc was really good. Also, about the Miringi ship sinking; I'm 90% sure it was celebrating 150 years, not 200.

Archived