Rory Deprecation Thread

Guest 13max13

Exactly, that’s why I was so shocked at how horrible the comments were in here, he’s a kid. Some of the comments reminded me of the lame ass nasty school bully’s picking on some innocent dude. Very frustrating.

As soon as I saw the ‘HATE RORY’ thread, a few weeks ago, I thought, that looks like its going to be just plain actor bashing, because there isn’t anything to hate about Rory, and so avoided even looking at it. But when I opened it up today, I wasn’t shocked to find what I anticipated, was true, and its nasty.

In regards to Rory. If you forget the re-cast, its the same kid. The bond between Jack and him is still suppose to be as strong, that’s why he wrote all that about him being his hero...etc But I think the writers have skimmed over it this time in favour of the Sam, Martha, Jack thing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the same though. I find that different actors have different chemistry, so I find the recast hard to ignore. My classic example is Hayley. When it was Bec, I wanted her with Kim because she had a young, bubbly, carefree energy that complimented Kim. I loved them together. But Ella's Hayley felt more mature, more serious, and more subdued, so I was happier to see her with Scott who suited that kind of character much better than Kim.

The orginal Rory was introverted, insecure, and vulnerable, and the actor knew how to put that across in everything he did. I could always see where he was coming from, and if he occasionlly did something I didn't like, I could still understand why. I don't get that with this one. He's all of a sudden a genius at school who's eager to make friends with everyone and always has a smile (or a smirk...) on his face. He idolises Jack, as per the paper he wrote, but it doesn't feel like real love. It feels more like "Wow, this guy's a cop. He can actually shoot people and get shot! And he likes ME! How cool is that!?" It's more superficial, and while that probably fits your average young boy, I don't feel like it fits with a character that was written to be shy, traumatized, scarred and guarded. His relationship with Jack in this incarnation means very little to me, because I feel like he could have just as easily been that impressed with someone like George.

I also think that the real Rory was more streetwise. I don't think he would have taken a gun to school to impress people. To defend himself against their attacks and make him feel safe and have some kind of power, yes, but not to be popular. Sometimes the new Rory just irritates me with how childish he is... The other one had the air of someone who had to grow up way too fast. The new one doesn't seem to have grown up at all, despite all of the things he's supposed to have been through. That irritates me, and I feel cheated. I can't get invested in him as he is now, knowing what he SHOULD be: a kid so wounded and intriguing that even I - a person who doesn't like kids - fell in love with him and felt a need to protect him, and a need to see Jack protect him. I miss that.

I liked the old Rory. As emmasi said, there was this special chemistry between him and Jack. That, for some reason, disapeared when they did a recast. So maybe the only reason that I don’t like Rory now, is because I hated the fact that the chemistry disapeared. I think I was just letting my hate out at the new Rory because I didn’t like the recast.

Now that’s so typical me! <_< I think I’ll go back and remove (or change) my first post.

EDIT: first post is now removed. I am no longer a hater of Rory ^_^ But I still don’t like him…I just don’t hate him.

Yep I agree emmasi. It isnt the same, the writers have obviously skimmed over everything we initially got with the original actor. But then maybe even if the original actor returned for the second stint, the writers would have written him exactly the same way as they have the current Rory. Who knows? But I agree, I also still think the writers want us to believe he is still insecure and vulnerable, but they just can’t be bothered showing it this time, or trying to create a new ‘Jack/Rory’ chemistry (inconsistent character writing again).

Oh for F Sake.... The title is called "I HATE RORY CLUB"... yet there are some who are getting on their lil high horses saying "Oh you shouldn't say this or that"... and I say to those people, who are you to tell us what we can or cannot say? If you dont like it, move on! "Leave the insults at home".. plzzz its called having fun and having a laugh but then again some people have no idea about the concept.

RORY SUCKS!

Oh........ and he is a lil gremlin!!!!!!!!!

Speak your minds guys.... dont let ppl just come in here and tell you what to say and what not to say..

Oh for F Sake.... The title is called "I HATE RORY CLUB"... yet there are some who are getting on their lil high horses saying "Oh you shouldn't say this or that"... and I say to those people, who are you to tell us what we can or cannot say? If you dont like it, move on! "Leave the insults at home".. plzzz its called having fun and having a laugh but then again some people have no idea about the concept.

RORY SUCKS!

Oh........ and he is a lil gremlin!!!!!!!!!

Speak your minds guys.... dont let ppl just come in here and tell you what to say and what not to say..

That's what rules are for. Duh. <_<

If you don't like them, then leave.

I dont like his attitude towards Martha. Hasnt your mum ever taught you, if you have nothing nice to say, dont say anything at all. Oh wait, Sam's his mum, she didnt teach him any manners :rolleyes::P

Loved Jack snapping at him though :lol: I do love Jack :D

Archived