Harold Bishop quits Neighbours

Guest simmins

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my friend is devestated that Harold Bishop is retiring -like i was when i heard frosie was leaving-i still can't accept it.

I think next year Harold Bishop (Ian Smith) should be nominated fore the gold logie to say thank for serving on the australian televison for 30 years - including 20 years in Neighbours.

he's australian tv veteran and legend, who needs to be awarded.

• 3 weeks later...

Luke Devenish has provided the following statement on Harold's imminent departure:

"Don't panic! Harold is not leaving permanently! The circumstances of his departure are such that Harold will be making regular and triumphant returns to Ramsay Street throughout the year, and in the years following too. The wonderful and much loved Smithy certainly did not want to leave the show - nor did we want him to leave (we'd have to be crazy!) - but he was keen for some time out and a healthy dose or R & R, plus a reduced workload upon his return. Perfectly reasonable really. While Smithy can certainly run rings around many of us at Neighbours, he's still not quite the spring chicken that he used to be. So send him your congratulations and best wishes - I'm sure they'll be appreciated. Harold will be on Australian screens until April next year."

I'm so pleased he is not leaving for good, at least we will still get to see him from time to time. Its quite a good compromise because it lets Ian keep a healthy interest but also lets him have a kind of semi-retirement to give him time to pursue his own personal interests :)

When it comes to actors leaving, especially ones who have been on a show for years and years, it is really impossible to avoid finding out about them leaving. Even if you did last right until the episode of his departure, the announcer would probably say something like "Its time to say goodbye, to Harold Bishop" and spoil it for you anyway.

Archived