Inside Soap Asks the Boss!

Guest ter06

A number of Home and Away stars have gone to Hollywood, but former casts member Cameron Welsh, who played Mitch McColl, is now the soap's producer! We put your questions to him....

How do you feel about Kate Ritchie leaving after 20 years?

It's a funny mix of emotions. Part of me is devastated as she has been in Home and Away since the beginning, and it's hard to imagine the show without her. Whenever we've planned a storyline for Sally, we've always known Kate would do a fantastic job. On the other hand, I'm indredibly excited for her. She's a great person and deserves every success.

Are there big things in store for the show's 20th anniversary next year?

Our plan is to celebrate by telling good, solid stories. You'll definitely see a few cast members returning here and there to beef things up, but we're not planning a big event as such. It'll be a year long party.

I thought the episodes where Beth Hunter died were outstanding. What prompted you to kill off the character?

Nobody makes that kind of decision hastily. It all comes from the story, and with Beth, we looked at the ripples it would cause. As she was Matilda's mother, Tony's lover and Alf's business partner, it was clear there were going to be big repercussions from her death. So it all depends on the dramatic effect.

Home and Away is famous for its disaster storylines, including earthquakes and huge gales. Do you have a favourite?

My favourite's still the mudslide, which is going back a fair bit. I was acting on the show at the time, and especially loved it because my character was stuck inside a caravan, which we shot in the studio. Meanwhile, everyine else was outside getting cold and wet filming the actual disaster! I thought the art department did a great job, and the mudslide looked fantastic on screen.

Who's on your wishlist of past characters you'd like to bring back to Summer Bay?

Easy - Vinnie Patterson. I don't even have to think about that one. However, I doubt we'd ever nail down Ryan Kwanten again as he's doing some big things in Hollywood. In more recent times, I've liked Hugh Sullivan, and would love to see that character return. It'd be interesting to play out his relationship with Rachel.

What do you think of the fact that Home and Away and Neighbours will both be screening on Five next year?

I think it's a good thing for viewers that they get to see two Aussie soaps together. Here in Australia, we don't really class Neighbours as competition, because we're on in different time slots. And whenever we meet those guys socially, we always mingle with them and support them.

Would you consider returning as Mitch, permanently or just for one episode?

No, i don't think so. I came back for Alf's 60th birthday a couple of years ago, but I think Mitch's days are probably over!

Secrets Spilled! Cameron reveals what's coming up in the Bay....

Altared state

Sally and Brad may be heading down the aisle, but cant agree in the kind of ceremony they want. Will this spell doom for the big day? "As is traditional with weddings, things don't go all that smoothly," Cameron chuckles. "Sally becomes conflicted,and makes a decision which is the right one for her. But that's not the only thing Brad has to worry about. There's more heartache in store when the half sister they never knew they had, Tamsyn turns up around the time fo the wedding."

Jack of Hearts

Every Home and Away fan wants to see Jack and Martha reunited, but is it time to abandon hope now that Sam is back on the scene? "I can say that the rollercoaster ride that is their relationship will continue," teases Cameron. It all leads to our big end of year cliffhanger....

I had a nice long look at all the soap mags in the newsagents today including Inside Soap and I have to say, i'm suprised that Home and Away doesn't get that much publicity here, in terms of being promoted in magazines and everything. I think the show get's alot more publicity in magazines than it used to, but even still, everything seems to be very Eastenders, Emmerdale and Corrie related :P. Anyway, it's always nice to see a two page spread related to H&A :D.

Jack of Hearts

Every Home and Away fan wants to see Jack and Martha reunited, but is it time to abandon hope now that Sam is back on the scene? "I can say that the rollercoaster ride that is their relationship will continue," teases Cameron. It all leads to our big end of year cliffhanger....

If it's more Sam buisness...i'm not interested :P.

Thanks for typing that up, ter06! It was interesting to read again :P.

I had a nice long look at all the soap mags in the newsagents today including Inside Soap and I have to say, i'm suprised that Home and Away doesn't get that much publicity here, in terms of being promoted in magazines and everything. I think the show get's alot more publicity in magazines than it used to, but even still, everything seems to be very Eastenders, Emmerdale and Corrie related :P. Anyway, it's always nice to see a two page spread related to H&A :D.

It gets nothing! I know it must be hard to get interviews, photos etc when the show is based on the other side of the world, but they could easily come up with something. I hate the way Eastenders dominates everything, when it's not even the highest rating soap any more.

It gets nothing! I know it must be hard to get interviews, photos etc when the show is based on the other side of the world, but they could easily come up with something. I hate the way Eastenders dominates everything, when it's not even the highest rating soap any more.

I couldn't agree more with your point about Eastenders. I don't think I have been into a newsagents and not seen someone from Eastenders on the front cover. Don't even get me started on why Stacey is always (and I really mean always) on the cover of every soap magazine. I know she is a popular character and Lacey is a fantastic actress, but nevertheless, it'd be nice if other soaps (mainly H&A) got a bit of publicity! :lol:

I have to chuckle at the bit where it says he'd like to see Hugh come back. He could probably make it happen! :lol:

Mitch wasn't trapped in a caravan during the mudslide!? :blink:

Ugh, the actual finale shock had better not be anything J&m REALTED!

I'm hoping that too, does anyone ever care about them anymore?

No, I think most have converted to M&M, the only J&M scene I wanna see in the finale is Martha crying at his grave :P

Ugh, the actual finale shock had better not be anything J&m REALTED!

I agree, for once. I dont want the finale to be ruined by that saga, its getting old, and we all know the outcome, which is crap as well, so who cares :rolleyes: I was hoping Alf would get the finale cliffhanger <_<

I like that Cameron would like Hugh back, just like the rest of us. So put your ideas together, and bring the Doctor back :) please!

Archived