Quick Questions

emmauk06

Yes, it certainly sounded like a bit of a scramble. By then, they'd been bringing Pippa back almost every year so bringing Debra in was a safe bet. She knew the ropes and people were used to Pippa being everybody's mum. Really though, would anybody have noticed or cared if there hadn't been an adult in the Beach House? They could've winged it and acted as normal. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2024 at 06:29, adam436 said:

It seemed like a weird choice to bring back Pippa to oversee the teenagers at the Beach House, especially with the only two characters Pippa knew being absent at the time. 

They could have recast Irene's sister Wendy or even used Shelley Sutherland. Kirsty was around at the time, so Shelley could have popped back and stayed at Irene's with some flimsy throwaway line about the Caravan Park being full or something. 

From Debra's interview, it sounds like it was all very last-minute and disorganised, so they probably didn't have time to think logically about it. 

A character I could see filling that role would be Fin. She was Irene's daughter, so it would be believable that Irene might ask her to look after the Beach House for her. Also, didn't some of Pippa's scenes involve visiting Belle in rehab after her pill addiction? Fin had a pill addiction too (albeit not as serious as Belle's) - so she could've shared her own experience... Also, didn't Fin and Belle have a prior relationship (offscreen - was it just a phone call or did they meet) in 2008 when Fin helped Belle with some new story...

Of course, I don't think Tina Thomsen was interested in returning at that stage - but still...

To be honest, I don't mind the idea of Pippa returning just to visit and help out Alf/Irene. My main gripe with it was that didn't Pippa only appear in one scene per episode (except for one where she had a slightly meatier role)? If they'd used her a bit more, got her to naturally show an interest in the Belle, Geoff and Annie... It would've needed more time, though, and it did feel like she was just there to fill scenes written for Irene because Lynne was unavailable.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Spinach said:

A character I could see filling that role would be Fin. She was Irene's daughter, so it would be believable that Irene might ask her to look after the Beach House for her. Also, didn't some of Pippa's scenes involve visiting Belle in rehab after her pill addiction? Fin had a pill addiction too (albeit not as serious as Belle's) - so she could've shared her own experience... Also, didn't Fin and Belle have a prior relationship (offscreen - was it just a phone call or did they meet) in 2008 when Fin helped Belle with some new story...

It was the Dom Moran mess, he was stalking Belle. There was an "Oh god I think we killed him" storyline with him, her and Drew.

Irene and Roman arranged for Dom to have an interview with Fin (she apparently owned a restaurant at this point) to get him away from Belle and the Bay but he deliberately tanked it.  

I think Irene funnelled that information back to Belle after a call from Fin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/07/2023 at 01:18, cymbaline said:

are there any songs that featured on Home and Away that made it out into the mainstream? I remember Suddenly by Angry Anderson being a big hit in the UK after Scott and Charlene's wedding on Neighbours. I can't think of any H&A songs that crossed over like that. 

If I remember correctly, Cry by Ballarat band The Mavis's was being played in the Diner during episodes that aired in 1997, yet the single was not released until months later, in 1998, along with their second album. It was a top ten single in Australia, and hung around in the charts for quite a while. It should go without saying, but they were signed to Mushroom at the time. Brilliant song too, by the way!