Quick Questions

emmauk06

Wasn't there something about The Early Years' reruns on 7Two being "only on for a limited time" during the first few years of it being on 7Two? I think I remember reading somewhere that the show was only going to go up to a certain point. Maybe this is a phantom memory, idk.

When trying to find out what is going on with The Early Years, bear in mind that, as stated in my recently-closed thread '7TWO Transmission Discussion', it is my belief and understanding that Dan F and the team have done everything they can to enquire with the highest powers at the Seven Network (the Director Of Network Programming, and the Content Rights Manager), and is standing by on a long-term basis for answers and updates, while conceding that we may never know really why the plug was pulled.

Edited by Old H&A Fan

17 hours ago, Luigi Severus Fletcher said:

Wasn't there something about The Early Years' reruns on 7Two being "only on for a limited time" during the first few years of it being on 7Two? I think I remember reading somewhere that the show was only going to go up to a certain point. Maybe this is a phantom memory, idk.

I don't think they ever committed themselves either way: I don't recall them saying there was a point they were definitely going to stop but they weren't definitely going to continue either.

6 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

When trying to find out what is going on with The Early Years, bear in mind that, as stated in my recently-closed thread '7TWO Transmission Discussion', it is my belief and understanding that Dan F and the team have done everything they can to enquire with the highest powers at the Seven Network (the Director Of Network Programming, and the Content Rights Manager), and is standing by on a long-term basis for answers and updates, while conceding that we may never know really why the plug was pulled.

I'm in a group on Facebook and someone posted something and it sounds quite possible...

A possible reason they axed it is due to licensing issues with episodes 1921 to about 2085, this is because ITV2 decided to rerun 1996 from 1921 after ITV dropped it in June 2000. Living then decided about a year later to jump from 707 and after two catch up episodes presented by Kate Ritchie started from 1921. So ITV2 stopped about 2085, so episodes 2086 onwards is fine.

It makes sense, but I thought Channel 7 had the rights to their own show. I had an idea after hearing that we got no real updates from Channel 7 since 2017, was due to them fixing these issues (which can be a possibility, as the user in the FB group said "it would be a mammoth job" and they did say that it was hopefully returning in 2018, but that hasn't happened yet. Hopefully it will return this year, I miss it like crazy.

Edited by Luigi Severus Fletcher

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

How do they come up with the weird spellings for some of the characters in the show, such as:

• Nick and Shane "Parrish" with 2 rs
  • Tug "O'Neale" (instead of O'Neill)
  • Hayden's name being spelt "Haydn" without the e

I think they just used those spellings as unique spellings.

17 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

How do they come up with the weird spellings for some of the characters in the show, such as:

• Nick and Shane "Parrish" with 2 rs
  • Tug "O'Neale" (instead of O'Neill)
  • Hayden's name being spelt "Haydn" without the e

I guess they just decided to spell them like that. They don't seem that weird: A quick check of the phone directory found quite a few Parrishs. A quick Google search found a basketball player called O'Neale and Haydn recognised as an alternate spelling of Hayden after the composer.(There seems to be a boy band member who spells it that way.Maybe he was named after the Home and Away character.)

As an aside, I seem to remember Tug's surname was spelt O'Neil in the end credits at one point, not becoming O'Neale until towards the end of 1992.

• Like 2

I don't know if this has been answered before, but how far ahead was Shane's exit planned, and when was it decided Shane would be killed off

The reason I ask is because it seemed quite rushed. His ashes were buried at sea only a couple of episodes after his death, and there wasn't much of a reunion (only Damian returned for one last visit)

Edited by Old H&A Fan
Clarity

On ‎19‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:26, Old H&A Fan said:

I don't know if this has been answered before, but how far ahead was Shane's exit planned, and when was it decided Shane would be killed off

The reason I ask is because it seemed quite rushed. His ashes were buried at sea only a couple of episodes after his death, and there wasn't much of a reunion (only Damian returned for one last visit)

Dieter had had enough by 1995 and was sick of Shane, Melissa AND the show and wanted gone ASAP. So by the end of the year, he'd wrapped filming.

• Thanks 1

Aha. If Dieter wanted to go "ASAP" that would explain the rush job of an exit he had (and it seems I was right in saying his exit was a rush job). Shane & Angel couldn't leave together, it looks like because Angel wasn't quite done yet, so Angel was left a widow without Shane for awhile. Shane's death meant he would have a permanent exit, he would never come back again.