The LOL [Learning Other Languages] thread

Guest ilovekateritchie

My mum's family speaks French and my dad is Flemish. Most of my friends speak French, some of them speak Dutch. All my cousins speak Dutch. So I speak both languages daily. :)

I lived in Brussels and in Wallonia. Now I live in Vlaams Brabant , near Brussels.

Thanks Barbara!

I hate learning French! I only have like two months left though, so I'm counting the days now

Good luck. :) You probably don't need French in Norway to find a decent job. In Belgium, it's better you know both languages if you want a decent job, especially if you want to find a job in Brussels. Usually, English is a must too. :)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm jealous :P I live in Oost-Vlaanderen, and I've been in Brussels like 5 times in my whole life :wink:

You should go on a trip to France. :) You can also learn French by watching French television. Ok, all the programmes are dubbed and that sucks. But it has helped my cousins. :)

I wish I had TV5 or some other French TV channels... I know how much you can learn from watching TV. When I was 13 I had the worst English, and I was probably the one with the lousiest English of all the people in my class. Then I started watching Friends without subtitles, and within 6 months I was one of the best in my class in English. Really proves how helpful TV can be :P

^ TV is great. That's how I learnt English too. :D

I hate that they dub everything. Not only because it's stupid, but because their intonation is so OTT. I hope to go and live in France for a while when I finish my studies, which will be in about 4 years

That's a great idea, yannick. :)

I have TV5 here. I watch that sometimes. :D They speak so fast!

I don't watch that channel. I don't even know if I have it. The French-speaking channels I watch most of the time are Club RTL, RTL and TF1 (the last one is from France).

We don't have any Irish channels. :( The only English/American channels we have are BBC 1, BBC 2 and CNN.

I have my French Oral exam on Monday. I need somebody to speak French to me or test me. Please. :P

Mines on Tuesday. Icky. I feel so unprepared. And Irish is next week.

I'm glad the whole Bertie thing will have (hopefully) blown over by then :P

Mines on Tuesday. Icky. I feel so unprepared. And Irish is next week.

I'm glad the whole Bertie thing will have (hopefully) blown over by then :P

I hope I'm not asked about him. The Irish Oral will be..... interesting... Do they give marks for soeaking some jumble? :P

Archived