The LOL [Learning Other Languages] thread

Guest ilovekateritchie

Hey if anyone speaks dutch could they translate this for me ,

"I'm sorry, what was that? " .... as in like pardon, i didn't hear you.... thanks

In Afrikaans we say "Ekskuus?"

I think it would be along those lines in Dutch as well...

Thank you very much :) 'ekskuus' ill have to practise :P

Also quick question for anyone who lives in south africa. Do they speak Afrikaans in Kenya? My friend comes from there and he'd be amazed if i knew some of the language lol :D If someone could help i'd be really grateful :)

I'm sure some people in Kenya speak Afrikaans, but there it's mostly English and Swahili.

http://www.blissites.com/kenya/language.html

That link gives the basics in Swahili...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey if anyone speaks dutch could they translate this for me ,

"I'm sorry, what was that? " .... as in like pardon, i didn't hear you.... thanks

In Afrikaans we say "Ekskuus?"

I think it would be along those lines in Dutch as well...

Thank you very much :) 'ekskuus' ill have to practise

Also quick question for anyone who lives in south africa. Do they speak Afrikaans in Kenya? My friend comes from there and he'd be amazed if i knew some of the language lol If someone could help i'd be really grateful

I'm sure some people in Kenya speak Afrikaans, but there it's mostly English and Swahili.

http://www.blissites.com/kenya/language.html

That link gives the basics in Swahili...

Thats awesome thanks again, especially for the link :)

Ill leave u Jess and Eli to your convo now lol it made me laugh :lol::D

Lol.

So Eli... in how many languages can you "Marry me?" You said something about six?? :P

Also - anyone - in how many languages can you say "I love you"?

I know it's

J'etaime (French)

Tiamo (Spanish)

Ek het jou lief (Afrikaans)

Ich Lieben Dich (German)

Can anyone say it in Italian and Chinese? (I want to travel one day, you have to know the useful stuff)

I might be heading to bed soon anyway (btw, where did Jess and Kyle go? ) and get some sleep. God natt.

Wouldn't you like to know?? :P

I should probably get to bed as well, I haven't slept in two days.

Ohh, I'm gonna need some time and some Swedish people before I can answer the first one. I'll try the I love you one, but I can't promise all of them are correct :P

Norwegian - Jeg elsker deg

New Norwegian - Eg elskar deg

Swedish - Jag älsker dig

Danish - Jeg elsker dig

French - Je t'aime

German - Ich liebe dich

Polish: Kocham cie (?)

Polynesian (?) - Ma ka mae

They are. If you're from one of the three countries you won't have a problem understanding people from the other countries. Well, some might, I think Danish is really hard to understand when it's spoken. Written both languages are very easy to read and understand, and I understand pretty much everything in Swedish. Danish? Meh, I can understand it if I focus hard, but it's harder than Swedish.

Archived