The LOL [Learning Other Languages] thread

Guest ilovekateritchie

I love Swedish too. So I attempted to learn it once... didn't work :P

And oh my god Eli, I remember watching those shows in German when I was in germany :D

Hehe, yeah they used to air here all the time when I was younger (when there still was good children's programs on NRK and TV2, and not all that new "everything-is-so-super-duper-mega-fantastic-let's-sing-and-dance-about-it-in-our-brightly-coloured-costumes-crap (Okay, now I feel old)) and I think I have them all on video tapes somewhere :P . I think the title of the shows were translated to Norwegian, and they were subtitles in Norwegian, but the languages are very similar (at least I think so) so I didn't really read them (plus, at first I was too young to read) and I guess I learned a lot of Swedish from that.

I think Danish is easier to write though. Danish is very similar to Norwegian Bokmål (which is my... what the hell do you even call it? First written language? Anyway, I prefer to write Bokmål, but I can write half-decent Nynorsk as well) so I have no problem reading or writing Danish, but I think it's very hard to understand it when it's spoken, and I definitely can't speak it correctly! I think Swedish is easy to read as well, but not as easy to write correctly (probably because I grew up so close to the border, and I tend to mix and confuse my dialect with Swedish and then throw in some Nynorsk as well). Way easier to understand when it's spoken though :P

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I had found this thread earlier! The other day, I was writing a story where one of the characters spoke Italian, and I don't speak one word of Italian! I managed to figure it out by myself though. :P

Parlo io l'italiano. :)

Yeah, if you ever need any more help with anything, whispered_envy...

• 9 months later...

This thread is very interesting.

Does anyone know of good websites where I can p;ossibly learn Spanish and French?

Weet enige iemand van goeie webwerwe waar ek moontlik Spaans of Frans kan leer? (Afrikaans)

Just curious, how many South Africans are lurking on BttB? :wink:

I can't believe I haven't posted in here before...

Ich hab' deutsch seit 2002 studiert, zuerst in die Schule und jetzt an die Uni.Ich hab' in Deutschland für 3 monaten gewohnt so naturlich meine sprachkentnisse ist schon besser wie, was ich screibe. Wenn du ein bisschen hilfe möchtet, dann ich bin deine mädchen :)

I also learned Japanese for 5 years, I did an Italian paper at uni last year, and I have learned bits and pieces of Dutch from my Mum's cousins who have crashed at our place for a night or 2 when they were over this side of the world.

Em- I was seriously considering going to do a semesters study at Uppsalla university, so I would love to learn a Scandinavian language.

Ik ben Nederlands aan't leren. Ik ben niet good goed. Kan iemand mij helpen?

(I am learning Dutch. I am not good. Can anyone help me?)

:lol:

Ik kan je helpen. (I can help you) :) That was pretty good. :)

Weet enige iemand van goeie webwerwe waar ek moontlik Spaans of Frans kan leer? (Afrikaans)

I don't speak Afrikaans but I understand quite a few things when I read them as it's a bit similar to Dutch. :) I don't know if I would be able to understand it if someone was talking to me though. I have never heard Afrikaans so I don't know if pronounciation is very different from spelling. :unsure:

Archived