The LOL [Learning Other Languages] thread

Guest ilovekateritchie

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Okay, I officially give up, I need help with a word. I've tried finding a translation from Norwegian (I feel like I should know the English word for it in the first place, this is embarrassing) but apparently the word can mean a number of different things in Norwegian, so none of the English translations is translating the use of the word I'm looking for.

Basically what I'm talking about is what we in Norwegian call "brist", an injury close to being a bone fracture. It's not like the bone is broken, but it's still some damage to it, like it's partially broken, but because it's not a complete fracture it's not as big an injury, and usually you just have to like not go crazy and over-use the body part you've injured until it heals. It's quite commonly happening to ribs. I'm thinking in English every kind of bone fracture might just be called a bone fracture, and that this is just referred to as an incomplete fracture or something, but I'm not sure. All I know is that it's sort of a fracture, but the bone is not broken.

Anyone? :unsure:

All I can think of is a hairline fracture. Which is basically just a tiny tiny fracture that will heal on it's own as long as you don't move it around too much. That's the only thing I can think of that's between a sprain and a break. Don't know if that's what you're looking for?

It probably is, cause it is kind of a fracture, but it's not a complete fracture, the bone is not broken, but it's not a sprain either.

Thanks for replying, I guess I have a hairline fractured rib then :P

I love Swedish! I don't live very far away from the border, so I understand Swedish way better than I understand Danish, and I remember growing up I always used to watch Swedish children's programmes like "Vi på Saltkråkan", "Emil i Lönneberga" and "Pippa Långstrump" :D And we still sometimes travel across the border to buy chicken and christmas ham (we're such stereotype Norwegians when it comes to that :lol:).

I think I could speak Swedish... Kinda... I'd probably make some mistakes, but mostly I think I'd get it right. But written Swedish... Not so much all the time :P

Archived