The Best Mistake

Guest PINK

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CHEPTER 5

Leading a double life...

“Are you sure you don’t want me to stay a while?” Jack asked Martha as he walked her to her door,

“I’m sure Jack” Martha said for the last time,

“Ok” Jack finally gave in “I’ll see you tomorrow” Jack said leaning in and giving her a kiss on the cheek,

“Ok” Martha said as she pulled away,

“Bye” Jack said as Martha shut the door.

Jack walked into the house; so much had changed since this morning, he had found out her was going to be a father to his ex wife and now he was going back to his current one, God when did his life become such a mess?

“Hey honey” Sam said rushing up and kissing him as he entered the house”

“Hey” Jack said a bit distant, he didn’t know how he was supposed to act around her, should he tell her everything? No he thought, not without Martha’s permission,

Should he tell her it’s over and go scoop Martha into his arms and live happily ever after? Or should he just grin and bear it and take it as it came?,

“So where did you get to today?” Sam asked,

“Oh just hanging out with James” Jack lied through his teeth,

“Oh ok” Sam said as she got the Lasagne out of the oven,

“Are you ok?” Sam asked sensing the tension between them,

“Fine” Jack said,

“I’m just going to have a shower before dinner” Jack said making his way to the bathroom,

“Ok” Sam mumbled once he was out of sight “Seeya”.

“So what do you think?” Sam asked, “Jack?” she said waving her hand in front of his face,

“Jack” she said again a bit louder this time gaining his attention,

“Huh, what?” Jack asked startled,

“Did you hear a thing I just said?” Sam asked annoyed at his distantness,

“Um, something about… food?” Jack took a wild guess hoping he was right,

Sam huffed “Are you sure you’re ok?” she asked annoyed he was completely ignoring her,

“Yeah fine” he said “Now what did you say?” he asked,

“Well I figure now is the right time to be buying a house” Sam said,

Jack looked at her startled,

“A house?” Jack questioned her making sure he heard right,

“Yeah” Sam said “I saw one in the paper today and it’s perfect, so I booked us an appointment with the real estate agent tomorrow” she said waiting for a reaction on Jacks part.

Jack almost chocked on his lasagne as he heard her words,

“An appointment with the real estate agent” he said “Tomorrow” he added in a state of shock,

“Yeah I really think this could be good for us” Sam said pleased,

“Mmm” was all Jack could seem to make out,

“Jack what do you think?” Sam asked becoming impatient,

“I think” Jack said, “I think it’s not the right time” Jack said,

“Why not?” Sam asked a bit put out,

“I just don’t think it is” Jack said subconsciously wishing he could just say ‘because my ex wife is having my baby and I don’t want to spend the rest of my life with you’

“Fine” Sam huffed getting up and making her way to the sink,

“Sam” Jack said standing up and making his way towards her unsure of what to do,

“What?” Sam sniffled.

He felt bad for feeling the way he did but he couldn’t help it but he didn’t want her upset,

“Come here” Jack said bringing her into his arms,

“I really want us to start our lives together Jack” she said looking up at him,

Jack looked down at her feeling even guiltier,

‘I’m sorry” Jack said holding her,

Sam felt better knowing that he was sorry for what he had said to her but little did she know that the sorry had been for more than just not wanting to buy a house.

Jack picked up his one year old daughter whom had just started to walk, he ran towards her which made her squeal,

“Mummy” the little girl said delighted by the attention she was receiving,

Martha laughed at her daughter and husband as Jack carried her towards Martha and sat down on the sand next to her,

They started playing in the sand with there daughter, laughing looking like the perfect family,

Martha laughed as Jack grabbed her and kissed her pushing her down on the sand, the moment was broken by the one year old jumping on top of Jack,

Jack pulled away from Martha and picked up his little girl and kissed her soft delicate cheek and then the happy family all embraced each other in a family hug…

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP,

“Err” Jack groaned as he felt the rays of sunlight beating through the window down onto his body,

He opened his eyes, blinking them a couple of time to wake up, he sat up in bed

And remembered the dream he had previously awoken from,

It felt so real, Jack thought,

He smiled sadly when he though of what he could have but might never have.

He had a wife and a boy that thought of him like a father but he kept coming back to the same thing,

He had them but he also had a part of him coming into the world that just happened to be a part of the woman he loved as well,

Jack groaned as he fell back on the bed,

He had to figure out what he was going to do but for now he was running incredibly late for work,

“Hey” Sam said as Jack exited the bedroom dressed in his uniform,

“Hey” Jack said a million miles away, a way in which he had been a lot lately,

“You having breakfast?” she asked,

“Um no sorry gotta run” Jack said making his way to the door,

Sam made her way towards him,

She put her hand on the door and stopped him from opening it, she pressed her body against his which made Jack feel slightly uncomfortable,

“I saw that smile on your face last night” Sam said seductively,

“You looked like you were having a pretty good dream, was it about me?” she asked innocently,

“Uh sure” Jack said,

Sam looked at him, something wasn’t right,

Jack started to feel awfully uncomfortable around her so he said,

“I gotta go, seeya” he said leaning in, Sam went to kiss his lips but Jack just gave her a quick peck on the cheek,

“Seeya later” Sam said,

“Yeah seeya” Sam said as she watched Jack leave,

She huffed, he was different.

Jack looked at the clock which read nine PM,

Just ten more minutes and he was out of there, all of a sudden his phone began to ring,

He pulled it out of his pocket and answered it

“Hello” He answered,

“Jack” Martha said on the other end,

“Hey” she said,

“What wrong, are you ok?” he asked startled by her late call,

“I’m sick she said, most woman have morning sickness, I get night sickness” Martha attempted a joke,

“Ok” Jack said sympathetically wondering what he could do to make her feel better,

“I’m off in ten I’ll be right there” he said,

“No Jack you go home to Sam Martha said,

“No arguments ok” Jack said “I’ll be there as soon as I can” he said finally,

“Ok” Martha said,

“Ok bye” Jack said,

“Bye” Martha said softly.

Jack hung up the phone and let out a long exhausted sigh, how long could they hide this from Sam? Should he really be going to help hi ex wife while your wife sits at home? He asked himself then immediately mentally scolded himself, ‘of course you should she’s carrying your child’ he thought to himself.

“Holden” McGrath said,

“Holden” he said again becoming impatient,

“Huh what?” Jack asked snapping out of his thoughts,

McGrath huffed,

“You’ve been a million miles away all day, George is her now so why don’t you take off” he said,

Jack looked up at him,

“Yeah thanks boss” Jack said standing up, grabbing his jacket and bag and making a quick exit from the station.

KNOCK, KNOCK,

“Come in” Jack heard Martha call from inside the apartment,

Jack opened the door and slowly stepped inside,

“Hey” he said sympathetically looking at heron the couch with an uncomfortable look on her face,

“Hey” she said softly,

“How you felling?” he asked moving towards the couch and sitting down gently stroking her arm,

“I’m ok” she’s aid although it was evident she wasn’t,

“Have you eaten anything?” he asked,

Martha shook her head,

“Don’t mention food” she said seriously,

Jack looked at her with a worried look on his face,

“You have to eat something” he said seriously,

Martha groaned and shook her head,

“No” she said sternly,

“Ok fine” Jack said deciding her wasn’t going to win,

Jack looked down at her and noticed as the expression on her face began to change,

“Oh God” Martha said jumping up and running towards the bathroom,

Jack looked towards the bathroom she had entered and contemplated his next move; he let out a sigh and decided to follow her,

He stood up and made his way to the bathroom, he softly knock on the door and spoke,

“Martha” he said softy,

“Are you ok?” he asked opening the door and walking in seeing her crumpled up in a ball leaning up against the bath,

“Aww come here” he said leaning down and bringing her into a strong embrace,

“I can’t do this” Martha sobbed “I can’t do this alone” she said

He pulled away from her and looked directly into her eyes,

“You’re not alone and never will be” he said seriously,

Martha sighed, he wasn’t getting it,

“You don’t get it Jack, I can’t call you and you can’t come running every time I feel sick, apart from the fact that it isn’t fair on you, you can’t do it to Sam” Martha said,

“She is going to get suss soon Jack” Martha said,

“I already told you” Jack said “I’m in this for the long haul and that haul starts from now, you can call me anytime of the day or night and Sam, well…” Jack stopped,

“What Jack?” Martha asked,

“I don’t know” Jack said honestly,

Martha huffed “Well you need to figure it out” Martha said,

“I know I do” Jack said,

Martha looked at him, he really was trying here, and she had to be nice to him, he was making an enormous effort, all he was trying to do was make sure no one got hurt but Jack just didn’t want to accept the inevitable, someone was going to get hurt…

“There you go” Jack said as he neatly tucked her in to bed,

Martha smiled up at him,

“Thanks” Martha said,

“Anytime, you know that” Jack said,

Martha smiled as he made his way to the door,

“Jack” she called,

Jack spun around,

“Yeah?” he asked,

“Stay with me” she said “Just until I fall asleep” she said looking at him hopefully,

Jack hesitated before smiling and walking back over towards the bed as she closed her eyes.

Jack looked down at her, never wanting to leave, but he knew he had to eventually drift back into reality and the reality was he was married and he had no idea how to get out of this web of lies he was continuously spinning.

Jack sighed standing up and moving over, leaning down he gave her a soft kiss on her fore head, feeling her soft delicate skin under his kiss.

“It’ll all be ok” he whispered to her before walking out of the room.

Martha listened as he closed the door behind him and snapped her eyes open.

‘So what now?” she thought ‘he goes back and plays happy families with Sam and Rory?’ Martha sighed as she placed her hand on her stomach, her and Jack were going to have a baby together but he was married to someone else. How she could of ever deluded herself into believing he might want to be a family with her and the baby was beyond her, it was now evident to her that she was living in a dreamland and Jack had to chose, he had to choose what he really wanted…

CHAPTER 6

"I know what I want"

Jack walked through the front door trying to be as quiet as he could, he crept into his bedroom as it was now 12:30 am,

Jack walked through the door and got the shock of his life when the light suddenly flicked on,

Jack stood rooted on the spot as he saw Sam pull her arm away from the bedside light and move it back into it’s crossed position,

“Sam” Jack said attempting to explain,

“Where have you been?” Sam snapped,

Jacks mind went into overdrive as he attempted to explain his lateness,

“I went to have a few drinks with the guys” Jack said hoping that she would leave it,

“A few” Sam scoffed “You’re three and a half hours late” Sam yelled,

“I know and I’m sorry” Jack spat out,

“What the hell is going on with you lately?” Sam asked him,

“Nothing” Jack said making his way over to the drawers and pulling is track pants out and taking off his uniform,

“You’ve been acting strange for days” Sam said, “Weeks actually but you’ve gotten worse these past couple of day” Sam said,

Jack made his way over to the bed,

“It’s nothing” Jack lied “Please just leave it” Jack said,

“Fine” Sam huffed,

“Thankyou” Jack said,

“I love you” Sam said,

Jack looked at her, should he say it back? He asked himself even though he didn’t really mean it, he had to other wise he would be spending the night on the couch,

“I love you too” Jack forced the words to the surface,

Sam smiled leading over to kiss Jack but he pulled the same trick he had done that morning and kissed her cheek,

“Night” Jack said wanting to avoid the questions he got into the cover and closed his eyes,

Sam looked at him, there was something he wasn’t telling her and that something was a big something and she was going to find out what it was…

Jake woke up early the next morning and decided to go for a jog to clear his mind he made his way up the beach and stopped when he came across Martha sitting on the sand away in her own little world starring out to the ocean,

“Hey” Jack said coming up behind her and sitting down,

Martha turned her head to look at him,

‘Hey” she said softly,

“What’s wrong” Jack asked,

“Nothing” Martha said not wanting to get into it “Jack you totally don’t have to I mean it’s completely up to you but”,

“What?” Jack asked wondering what she was getting at,

“I have an appointment scheduled for this afternoon, for my first ultrasound” she said,

Jacks mouth grew into a wide grin “Are you serious, I wouldn’t miss it for the world” Jack said hugging her,

“Alright, I guess you’re coming” Martha laughed at his enthusiasm,

“Of course I am what made you think otherwise” Jack asked,

“I thought you might have had family commitments” Martha said sarcastically,

Jack sighed “I know this is a mess” Jack said “But I’m working on it” Jack tried to assure it that everything would be ok,

“Yeah ok” Martha said slightly uninterested,

Jack looked at her not wanting to get into an argument about it he decided to change the subject,

“So what time is the ultrasound?” he asked,

“Um two thirty” Martha said “Do you wanna meet there?” Martha asked,

“I can pick you up” Jack said hopefully,

Martha smiled, he was trying

“Ok pick me up and two” Martha said,

“Sure thing” Jack said standing up wiping the sand of his pants,

“I’ll seeya later” Jack said as he continued running.

“Yeah seeya” Martha muttered as she watched him disappear into the distance.

KNOCK, KNOCK,

“Hey” Jack said as Martha opened the door,

“Hey” Martha said uninterested,

“You ready?” Jack asked,

“As ready as I’ll ever be” Martha said making her way out the door, locking it behind her,

“Where’s the enthusiasm?” Jack asked,

“There is none” Martha said “I hate doctor and I hate hospitals” she said,

“Oh come on” Jack said “Smile” he said,

Martha looked at him and put on the most sarcastic smile Jack had ever seen, so much it made him laugh which in turn made Martha laugh as well.

“Come on” Martha said dragging him down the stairs.

“Miss McKenzie” the nurse called,

Martha and Jacks heads snapped up as they heard her name getting called,

Martha and Jack stood up in unison, hands conjoined as they made there way to the room the nurse was pointing to,

“Ah hello Miss McKenzie” the doctor said,

Martha smiled weakly as she waited for instructions,

“Ok if you want to lye down on the bed we’ll get started” the doctor said friendly,

“Ok” Martha said softly making her way to the bed and lying down on it,

“Ok if you lift your shirt up we’ll get started the male doctor said with a smile,

“Ok” Martha said as she lifted her shirt and the doctor poured a clear gel onto her stomach,

Martha shivered,

“Ooh that’s cold” Martha shivered,

“We get that a lot” the doctor said smiling “Someone’s gotta come up with a way to keep that stuff warm” he said with a smile as he placed the white stick on Martha’s stomach,

All of a sudden a rhythmatic beat filled the room,

Martha and Jack looked at the screen in awe,

“That’s you’re baby” the doctor said smiling “It’s very healthy” the doctor said with a smile,

Martha looked up at Jack who was starring at the screen; Martha smiled up at him this was one of those moments she wished things were as simple as they seemed, where they were together and happy but once again she was brought back to reality and she hated it…

“Would you like a picture of your baby?” the doctor asked,

“Um” Martha said “Can we have two?” she asked,

The doctor looked at her before agreeing and printing out two pictures,

“Here you go” he said handing them each a photo,

Jack looked down at the picture then back at Martha, he knew what he had to do and it had to happen today…

Jack walked through the door into the house he threw his wallet down on the bench and made his way into the bedroom,

He opened the wardrobe; he bent down and brought out a brown box,

He cautiously opened it and looked down at its contents,

He slowly brought out a square cream coloured photo album; he admired the picture that was on front of the album, it was taken on there wedding day, they looked so happy he thought as he ran his finger between the two people. ‘We looked so happy’ he thought he placed the album down and brought out his ‘ring’,

He placed hit in between his two finger and looked at it, it was just a simple ring but mean so much.

Jack stood up hoping he wouldn’t regret what he was about to do, he walked over to the bed and pulled a suitcase out from underneath it,

He sighed as he began to fill it with his belongings…

Jack made his way out to wards the living room, he was about to come out from behind the wall when he noticed Sam, with his wallet looking intently at a picture that had been previously placed there.

Sam looked up with the picture in her hand, she then noticed Jack standing across the room,

“What the hells going on?” Sam asked, her eyes filled with fury.

“Sam” Jack started but was stopped,

“Martha’s pregnant?” Sam asked suddenly her appearance changed from anger to hurt.

Jack bowed his head and with out words Sam got the answer she was looking for,

“Oh my God” Sam screeched,

“How far along is she?” Sam asked infuriated,

“About seven weeks” Jack confirmed,

Sam was leaning on the bench, her head down, she looked up and across at Jack,

“How long have you known?” she asked him,

“A couple of days” Jack said,

“Right” Sam said,

“I’m so sorry I never meant to hurt you” Jack said,

“When?” Sam asked,

“That night when I didn’t come home Jack said shamefully,

“Oh my God” Sam said “The day I told you I didn’t want any more kids” Sam said through glassy eyes,

Jack just nodded he didn’t know what to say,

Sam looked at him,

“So what now?” she asked helplessly,

Jack took a deep breath before picking up the bag that was hidden from Sam’s view and bringing it into sight,

Sam gasped,

“No” she sobbed,

Jack walked over to the bench where she was standing,

“I’m sorry” Jack said unable to think of anything else that would be suitable to say at this time,

Jack placed his suite case on the ground before placing his right hand on top of his left and it was as if in slow motion for Sam as Jack pulled his wedding ring from his finger,

“I do love you Sam” Jack said softly “But I’m in love with Martha” Jack said “And that’s never going to change” Jack said and at that moment Sam snapped,

“Get out” she screeched,

Jack looked at her helplessly as he picked up his suitcase and headed quickly for the door before turning around one last time and saying softly to her,

“I’m sorry”

Sam ignored him as he walked away.

Sam stood there in shock, had that really just happened? She asked herself, What about their marriage? Did it mean nothing to him? All she knew is that he was not going to get away with hurting her neither of them were…

KNOCK, KNOCK,

Martha was broken from her thoughts as she snapped her vision away from the photo placed in her finger tips.

She pushed herself up from the couch and made her way to the door.

She swung the door open to find an extremely wet Jack due to the storm going on outside,

“Jack what are you…” Martha stopped as Jack grabbed her and planted the most passionate kiss she had ever received on her soft delicate lips. Jack pulled away and looked into her eyes,

“I know what I want” Jack said looking at her as he saw a smile form on her lips,

‘I want you” he said “I want a life with you and the baby, I want us to be a family” Jack said looking down at her and the smile that she couldn’t prevent from forming,

“Are you sure?” Martha asked,

“Yep” Jack said “Absolutely I told Sam it’s over, the rings gone see” Jack said showing her his left hand,

Martha smiled,

“Then” Martha said stepping aside,

“Come in” she said smiling,

“Why thankyou but you know I did like standing out on the stair getting drenched” he joked,

Martha looked at him,

“I think you look sexy wet” Martha teased,

Jack looked at her and leant down and captured her lips in a lingering kiss,

“I love you” Jack said looking into her eyes,

Martha smiled “I love you too” she said,

Jack smiled it had seemed like forever since he had heard those words escape her lips,

He brought her into his arms,

“Oh Jack your soaked” Martha groaned as she peeled herself away from him,

“I’m sorry” he said,

Martha looked at him,

“We’re really doing this aren’t we, we’re really going to be a family” Martha said “You me and a baby” Martha said trying to come to terms with everything.

“It looks that way” Jack said, his head spinning as he tried to come to terms with everything,

“Well I guess we should make it official” Martha said leaning up and capturing his lips,

Jack pulled away and reached into his pocket and pulled out his wedding ring,

“Where’s yours?” Jack asked,

“In there” Martha said gesturing towards the bedroom as they made there way in,

Martha looked through her jewellery box finally bringing out two small white gold rings,

“Here they are” Martha said nervously making her way towards the bed,

“Are you sure this is ok?” Martha asked “Even though you’re legally married someone else” Martha said worried as she sat down in front of him,

“Yeah legally” Jack said “But my heart is here and I want to be with you, I want to start our family and when everything with Sam is sorted out legally” Jack said emphasizing ‘legally; “We’ll re official our love” Jack said,

Martha smiled handing him her rings “Do you want to do it Martha asked placing her hand out in front of him,

Jack smiled as he placed the two rings on her delicate finger,

“And you” Jack said handing her the single ring,

Martha smiled and also slid his on,

They looked up at each other and smiled before leaning in and capturing each others lips in a passionate kiss.

Jack pulled back,

“I love you so much but just one condition” Jack said “Never walk out on me again” Jack laughed,

“Deal” Martha said leaning back in, they fell back on the bed, Jack lying on top of her as they proclaimed there love for each other and each were determined that this time it would last…

Archived