• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I find the 1994 credits a bit boring. I like the 1995 ones as some of the cast are doing interesting activities like jet skiing which hadn't been seen before.

Interestingly, I just realised this, Alf and Ailsa's shot in the 1995 credits is an exact replica of their original 1988 credits shot, with Ailsa drinking wine from a glass, jokingly frustrated at Alf for opening a tinny!

I did notice the similarities when the reruns first started, but I've never really looked at them, one after the other... but you're right it does seem to be a homage of the original shot, even down to the water/ hills backdrop!

I do like the 1994 titles, but I suppose they are quite 'uninspired' in terms of what people are doing (the characters going "oh look at that!" and showcasing some hammy acting from quite a few of them!). It's interesting how, even though the 93 and 94 styles were probably seen as a 'modern' upgrade at the time, nowadays they'll have dated 10x that of the original set, with the 'MS Paint' colours and nasty italic font.

I LOVE the 1995 opening more than any other, I think they're the most natural looking out of the lot, whilst still being very fun and colourful, the introduction of my favourite version of the theme at that time, helped too :P

The big 1996 overhaul is probably the most impressive set of titles I've ever seen for any show EVER, with loads of practical effects and a filmic 'musical' vibe going on. Though I think that style gradually fell to pieces as time went on, from the very first update actually, when they ditched the most impressive shot of them all.... that flowing ten second bit drifting from Sally to Selina to surfer to speedboat. Everytime I see it I question how they managed to pull it off.

By 1998 the effects were more post-production filters and blurs rather than the practical stuff and they were shot on video rather than film, so they've never really grabbed me as much...

Archived