Kath & Kim

Guest Jen

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the entire thing out of curiosity and thought it was OK... It was funny here and there, although they were just reusing the same humour from the OZ pilot ep... The only originaly thing that they used which made me laugh when Kath bought a sandwhich from another man's shop and it was made such a big deal out of it :lol:

But yeah, the OZ series is waaaaaay better. Brett/Craig is practically an entire new character, Phil I can't stand, and Sharon... Why get rid of her? Alot of the humour comes from laughing at her character! All the injuries, the amount of times she gets her heart broken, her and Kim's feuds, half the humour from the show is gone just because of the loss from her character... And they also took alot of the humour out of it when they could have easily used it... They've lost the accents, they don't look like bogans... There's nothing to laugh at really apart from the one off liners.

I'll watch the next episode only because it's an "original" if it continues to fall beyond crap then I'll stop watching...

The Australian series is played with the natural ease of a home documentary. The American version tries to, but stumbles with overblown, almost theatrical, performances. It was born as a sketch (in two Seven Network comedies, Big Girl's Blouse and Something Stupid) but somehow the American version almost fails because it is too sketchy.

I think that quote nails it. I didn't like Big Girl's Blouse or Something Stupid that much, and I didn't like Kath and Kim when I first saw it. I don't like sketches that drag on and think they're funnier than they are, which Americans do A LOT. Mad TV is the only American sketch show I can stand. SNL just makes me want to cry... I will probably watch this again because I'm still curious about it and there's nothing else on.

Archived