Who remembers this storyline?

Guest vyle

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen part of that storyline on YouTube but I've never seen the conclusion. I'd like to know what happened. It wasn't a particularly nice storyline I agree.

Yeah true. I was just about 14 years old when it first aired and I didn't show any interest in it but just saw bits and pieces of it e.g. Justine's arrest, her trial and then her release from prison, that's all I can remember.

Do anyone remember Justine Wells was wrongly accused of murdering the baby Ruby Collins back in the 1990s but it later turned out it was the parents who did it?? Sorry if this had offended anyone because I can felt it was not a good storyline to watch. :unsure:

I remember that. It's too bad ITV chopped parts of it (They had a real tight "standards and practices" regime, borderline Gestapo at times when it came to Home and Away). 1999 was a mixed year for H&A, IMO. There were some thriller moments but an equal amount of dross.

I'd be intrigued to know what ITV cut because the ending as they showed it was a bit unsatisfactory and it'd be interesting to know if the Aus version was any better.(I suspect not.)It was the father that did it and the mother covered for him, saying Ruby wasn't breathing when they came home even though Justine heard her crying as she left.Then, shortly after Justine was sent down, the mother found out she was pregnant again and was so scared that the father would do the same thing to the new baby that she told the police the truth and Justine was released.Problem is, in the ITV version, most of the resolution happens off screen:We see the mother tell the father she's going to the police, Justine gets told she's made the statement and released and...that's it.The mother and father just disappear from the plot, we don't know what happens to them, we never see if the father(who was a pretty unpleasant character, although there was a slight suggestion that there was something wrong with him mentally)gets his comeuppance.It was a pretty good storyline and the strong but vulnerable way Justine was played throughout, and the way she almost seemed to be the only person upset that Ruby was dead, turned me into a big fan of the character when previously I'd been somewhat indifferent.

I really enjoyed that storyline for Justine, I agree it was her defining storyline. It was quite emotional too when she went to the funeral in secret and hid behind a grave to watch the service. I felt really sorry for her how she thought her mum on her side and they were going to make a go of it.

I can't remember how it was wrapped up after her release from prison, so can't say if the UK and Aus versions were different.

Do anyone remember Justine Wells was wrongly accused of murdering the baby Ruby Collins back in the 1990s but it later turned out it was the parents who did it?? Sorry if this had offended anyone because I can felt it was not a good storyline to watch. :unsure:

I remember that. It's too bad ITV chopped parts of it (They had a real tight "standards and practices" regime, borderline Gestapo at times when it came to Home and Away). 1999 was a mixed year for H&A, IMO. There were some thriller moments but an equal amount of dross.

in your opinion of course. I found the not so dramatic story lines of 99 entertaining

If the Early Years gets that far, I am looking forward to seeing 1998-1999 again, simply because there is so little of it online (same with 1993-1994 really). It is not known as a "golden era" but when you think about it, there's a lot of storylines worth watching again, and no doubt a lot that I have forgotten.

Archived