Dan Bennett running Neighbours

Guest simmins

I totally agree there with you JamesF, 2003/4 was a successful year. all thanks to the executive producer, Ric Pellizzeri at that time.

With The Bishops also a central family in the show, much loved by the viewers and happy that Harold has a famiy around him, why were their axed?

Compared to the new family - The Parkers, I would definately prefer The Bishop family back, as David, Liljana and Serena fitted well into the show.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ric Pellizzeri still is the exec producer!

I agree 2003/2004 were really great years too, great storylines and fantastic acting and direction, the music was awesome too, good characters...etc The Bishops were great, especially Lil, she was my fav of them, but I think the Parkers fit in perfectly into the show too! I've instantly warmed to them.

Simmis – what country are you living in? Have you seen any of the current episodes? I don’t really understand where you are coming from when you think Dan Bennet will ruin the show, what are your reasons for thinking this, at the moment its just like your throwing statements around without any real firm ground to stand on? Just wondering why you feel strongly about it?

many long term fans are complaining (with right) that the show is not focus on a family audience, its not as it was back in the day, the show its too teeny.

I don't get how Neighbours has ever been "too teeny." The only teens I can think of recently are the Kinskis and the Timmins, and now Ringo and Declan... and they're all very family oriented characters, with the exception of Rachel, who is a mini-Marrissa (OC - self-obsessed princess type) which irritates the hell out of me, but I think that may have been the intention. Oh.. and Sky and Boyd, I guess... but their storylines have been so entwined with adult themes and characters (Ditto Dylan and recently Janae) that I don't even think of them as teens :huh:

If you mean that the storylines, regardless of the characters ages, have been targeted at teens... I'd have to disagree. I'd say it's leaning more towards the twenty/thirty-somethings. The new revamp just reeks of yuppie trendiness... and Neighbours has always been a bit daggy, but that's why people loved it, because it was daggy and proud! All that stuff with Janelle's book, and the vassoline-lensed fantasy sequences - I LOVED it, I thought it was hilarious. Just the other night, Zeke, Karl and Pepper were in an air-guitar competition - also good, but it just felt a little out of place with the new look of the show. I just worry that, over time, stuff like that won't have a place at all in the "new generation" Neighbours, because it simply won't be slick enough.

If you mean that the storylines, regardless of the characters ages, have been targeted at teens... I'd have to disagree. I'd say it's leaning more towards the twenty/thirty-somethings. The new revamp just reeks of yuppie trendiness... and Neighbours has always been a bit daggy, but that's why people loved it, because it was daggy and proud! All that stuff with Janelle's book, and the vassoline-lensed fantasy sequences - I LOVED it, I thought it was hilarious. Just the other night, Zeke, Karl and Pepper were in an air-guitar competition - also good, but it just felt a little out of place with the new look of the show. I just worry that, over time, stuff like that won't have a place at all in the "new generation" Neighbours, because it simply won't be slick enough.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I've heard that over the coming months, the producers are definitely trying to put the humour back into the show, which has been missing a little bit in the past year among the more serious plots. :)

The revamp is doing one thing mainly, getting rid of the spare parts on the show - instead giving them all a purpose, bringing back the family feel that it once relished and toning down the overdramatic storylines and having the kind of storylines that made it successful, family-based, relationships instead of stalkers and bombs.

someone was saying that it was Network TEN's idea for the show to have overdramatic and sensational storylines and making the show more like home and away, the reason why the Bishops left the show and characters changed so much.

I have a feeling that Dan B will be ruining the show from his input in the storylines,

Archived