Dan Bennett running Neighbours

Guest simmins

I agree^ And I'm sorry but I wouldn’t take any notice what so ever to any of the posts on the Official Neighbours board, most of the posts don’t know what they're talking about because they haven’t been alive long enough...

Your arrogance is amazing.

My apologies for being 2 0r 3 when it first started.My opinion obviously doesn't count,how silly of me to think otherwise.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly I said ‘most of’, but if you want to throw yourself into the category of posts I then went on to explain mustn’t know the ‘old Neighbours’ due to them saying ‘the show has become unrecognisable’, then that’s up to you. If they don’t recognise the show now (when it is more Neighbours than it has been for years…remember, IMO) then they probably weren’t old enough to remember how it was, or weren’t alive yet, therefore they wouldnt say its unrecognisable.

EDIT: I just saw your thread then emmasi. Yeah I get your point, I guess it has become unrecognisable to them if that all they know of it...but that doesn’t really change my point either. I was under the impression from what I've seen over there, that they are complaining that the show has changed and is not 'Neighbours' anymore....yet my point was that it is, its just gone back to how it was before they started watching it, or before they were born...whatever.

Its so frustrating when people take offence to stuff like this though, its like you feel attacked because I’m talking about stuff you don’t remember or something, instead of just thinking… yeah I know I didn’t see it, so don’t really know. I mean if I’d only just started watching Neighbours last year say, and I started saying the show isn’t Neighbours anymore it had changed because I like melodrama, that’s what Neighbours is about as I know it, and someone told me...It is, its gone back to how it was before you watched it, then I’d be like…’ah ok’. I wouldn’t be offended or take it as an attack on my intelligence...

It's your phrasing that offends me. You automatically assume that anyone born post 1980 must be without knowledge, because they haven't "lived long enough" to gain it. Get over yourself. You're forgetting that in any other series, 20 episodes would be nearing a full season of the show, so it's not that ridiculous to be able to have formed a coherent impression of it in that time. For example, I stayed away from the OC because I didn't like the style of it when it started. It then went completely nuts in season four, and because it was so different, I loved it! Just because I hadn't been watching every episode religiously for four years doesn't mean that my opinion of that radical change isn't valid, and it doesn't mean that if the show had gone onto a 5th season and suddenly been all about one spoiled princess character flirting her way all over everything, I wouldn't have the right to be disappointed. The same can go for Neighbours viewers that haven't watched all 20 seasons, and somehow managed to retain a photographic memory of every single episode. We're not all super-viewers. We can only give our impressions of what we've seen and remember, and for you to sit back and say "Yeah, but my opinion is way more valid because I've seen more stuff," is, believe it or not, offensive.

However if I was to ask how "hypothetical" 5th season of the OC compared to other seasons I would be more interested or perhaps put greater emphasis on those who had seen the majortity the previous seasons. That might not necessarily mean that they've seen every episode. For instance, someone who has seen only 2 seasons out of 5 might think that the 5th is the worst they've seen (2of2), but in actual fact it might be the second best season overall (2of5).

If I were to search for opinions of Neighbours, I will look for opinions that were similar to mine, of those that tuned out in 2005 and not of those that tuned in in 2005. If a returning Neighbours fan is looking to return to the show they are not necessarily going to be interested in the opinions of those people who are mourning the show that they themselves had hated.

^ Well that was confusing but I agree, maybe its because I tuned out in 2004/2005 and then was so angry with the show for trying to become what Home and Away was 6 months earlier. I think the Revamp has helped create much needed interest in the show and the introduction of new familys has helped reinvent the family natured show it was back when I was watching it (mid 90's - 04/05).

I just don't think it should be up to one person to define what Neighbours is. In the course of 20 years, Neighbours has been a lot of things. Why should any one of those be more important than another, based on nothing but how old it is?

Well I’m sorry you get offended, but to be honest its you who thinks I feel superior because I’ve watched a bloody television show for a longer period of time, I’m just s stating a fact that if you haven’t seen it, then you don’t know about it, you don’t remember it, you never saw it, how else can I put it without you getting the wrong end of the stick and presuming I’m some agist bastard? Its got nothing to do with age or long term/short term fans opinions, of course if you’ve been watching any show for any amount of time you are entitled to an opinion, it is valid…

Im just saying that you cant really have an opinion on the show during a period in which you didn’t watch, or judge the whole show on a period you have been watching, sorry of course you can, but it wont really make sense to the longer term fans who have seen eras you yourself might think are better…and you cant be a snob to those that have watched the show longer than you have, or accuse me of being a snob for it being the other way around…

Going back a bit, have you see the official neighbours boards recently? The reason I said teenagers in regards to superficial talk about the show, is because I had just come back from the board totally bored with the disrespectful talk about the actor who plays ‘Bree’, and presumed that surely it wasn’t the older forum posters writing such ****.

A board I used to go to had a "Fight Club" area, where you could argue til your hearts content, as long as your petty squabbles didn't interrupt the rest of the board - THEN a mod would step in... I seem to recall it made people angrier, as opposed to getting it out of their system... but yes, it was amusing to watch :wink:

Archived