Dan Bennett running Neighbours

Guest simmins

Dan Bennett is now Channel 10 network drama executive which includes making dicision on Neighbours.

Many of you will know who Dan Bennett is, and what he did in his time in h&a, does anyone know if he is the right person for Neighbours? will he ruin Neighbours and turn t into h&a or make unpopular changes?

Is Dan a good think for the show?

What do you think?

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/story...5007183,00.html

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,2...94-2902,00.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I'm scared. Neighbours was just fine the way it was. It's just sad that viewer interest is judged on solely on ratings. As I explained to someone last night, the only reason I think that H&A does better than Neighbours in the rating is because H&A has forgotten it's a soap, and has forgotten that not everyone can watch it every single night. That in mind, they treat every episode as unmissable, and make it nearly impossible for a person to keep track of it if they happen to miss a couple of eps. I have a really bad feeling that Dan Bennet is taking Neighbours down the same road, where the show no longer cares about building an open relationship with viewers, but demands that they stay glued to every second, or else they'll be out of the loop forever. The ratings may look better on paper, but the friendly, easy-going spirit of the show will die, just like H&A's has. And pretty soon, people will get bored of being threatenend and intimidated by day after day of non-stop mini-series-like drama.

I feel the show has improved and if anything is going away from that ‘must see’ episode thing. They are focusing on the relationships between characters and more long term story arches, which is what Neighbours has always been about…so imo I think Dan Bennet’s influence is only a good thing. He’s probably learnt from his mistakes with H&A, besides which he isn’t the Series Producer of Neighbours, and doesn’t make up storylines or characters or anything like he did with H&A, he’s more in charge of Ten’s drama as a whole. The show’s still being produced by the same people who seem to have been around for quite a while, so there isn’t going to be any huge shifts. They are just giving the long term loyal fans what they want again.

I don’t think they are doing this whole re-vamp for the sake of ratings, if you check forums all over the place and I think I recently read an interview with the producers, that they were getting loads of feedback from all over the world about how they felt Neighbours had totally lost its way 05-06 and the show was becoming less and less about relationships and characters and storylines the audience could relate to, and more about melodrama and fast paced storylines that would often begin and end in an episode.

So imo, the shows just going to get better…

He's been the head of drama for awhile. Long before the change, throughout that time I found Neighbours improved heaps. Neighbours has me more glued then H&A at the moment. As alexx said, he most likely learnt from his mistakes in H&A by creating the character-driven show it is now, then it was a year ago.

I say good on him for putting a helping hand in order to get Neighbours back on track. There's no way his influence will ruin the show while he's around. He's leant from his mistakes.

many viewers on the Neighbours.com forum were saying how Neighbours (especially its current credits is something along the lines of home and away, nothing neighbourly about tthe new credits.

Although I agree with you alexx about the show will be more focus on more about relationships and characters and storylines the audience could relate to, but I feel that Neighbours won't the same, the way we loved the show in the 1980's.

I feel that all The Neighbours Producers want to do is concentrate on making thw show fresh, solely to attract new viewers and ignore its long-term viewers.

I feel that Harold Bishop, Lou Carpenter and Paul Robinson should be used to coonect the show to its rich and fasinating history... well The Neighbours Producers did do that by introducing 'The Bishop' family but we all know what happened.

many viewers on the Neighbours.com forum were saying how Neighbours (especially its current credits is something along the lines of home and away, nothing neighbourly about tthe new credits.

I feel that all The Neighbours Producers want to do is concentrate on making thw show fresh, solely to attract new viewers and ignore its long-term viewers.

I feel that Harold Bishop, Lou Carpenter and Paul Robinson should be used to coonect the show to its rich and fasinating history... well The Neighbours Producers did do that by introducing 'The Bishop' family but we all know what happened.

I think for more credible opinions Neighboursfans.com is the best. There's many loyal fans of the show on there who aren't scared to criticise. There's been a pretty positive attitude about the new theme and credits. Obviously not everybody is going to be pleased but it's been pretty positive on nf.com. The new credits certainly are more Neighbourly than they have been for quite a while!

The whole point about this re-vamp is back to basics and getting back the loyal long-term viewers. They're obviously not doing a good job if you think they're trying to 'ignore' long term viewers. :lol: So I don't agree with you on that one.

I think people need to remember that the re-vamp is not quick thing. Dan Bennett said himself that it was going to take up to a year but they pin-pointed the 23rd of July because thats when the most obvious changes were occuring (brand new theme/credits/music the start of some new storylines etc).

I agree^ And I'm sorry but I wouldn’t take any notice what so ever to any of the posts on the Official Neighbours board, most of the posts don’t know what they're talking about because they haven’t been alive long enough, especially if there opinion is that the show is turning into something they don’t recognise, as imo, and I've watched the show since the day it started, it is more 'Neighbours' now than it has been in years. I just hope the producers take whatever is said on the official board with a grain of salt.

I'd also recommend http://www.neighboursboard.co.uk/ib/ikonboard.cgi for some more credible opinions on the show by long term viewers.

most of the posts don’t know what they're talking about because they haven’t been alive long enough

Must you keep determining intelligence by age? Whether someone's been watching the show for 20 years or 20 days, if it had something they liked - something that attracted them to the show in the first place and kept them tuning in - don't they have as much right as anyone to be concerned if they think that something is slipping away?

Archived