Just Once More

Guest JM_stuchers

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Chapter 3

I went to bed that evening happier than I had done in a long time. Things had being complicated at home and my recent, very messy break up with Jason, my ex, didn’t help matters. However I was glad to be in the company of people who didn’t know everything about me. For that’s how it was in Felsted, some people even knew things about you that you yourself didn’t know. Sometimes I love being able to talk to people about anything, because they understand the situation properly, but occasionally people find out too much and it puts people in awkward situations.

I had had a great evening sitting chilling with all my friends, and I had got to know Jack and Sean really well too, and they were both great. I had spent most of the night talking to Alex and Jack, and we had talked about everything from surfing to skiing. However I lingered on one conversation.

“So your both from Essex then?” Jack asked

“Yeah, Tiptree all the way!!” Alex replied

“What about you Mac, where in Essex?”

“Do you know it well?”

“Yeah pretty well” he replied

“Near Chelmsford”

“Oh really? I grew up near there” he told us.

As we were having this conversation a single thought kept running round my head. Why did I feel he was so familiar, where had I seen his face before.

My mind did not stray from this conversation all night, and my dreams were ridden with him walking round the streets of my home. I didn’t sleep at all well, and when I woke up in the morning I felt like I had not slept properly all night.

“Mac, come on if you don’t get out of bed then there will be no breakfast left! And also we have to drop Charlie off at 9:30 as he’s not allowed to sign himself in! So get out of bed!!” as he said this last statement he was by my side and was just about to rip the bedcovers off me when I opened my eyes.

“Ok, I’ll get up if you get off my back” I said grumbling at him.

“I'm not on your back though, I'm standing next to you!” he said smirking, and then turned away and went into the bathroom.

I slowly got out of bed and made my way to the bathroom, only to realise that Macca was still in there.

“Macca!” I shouted, banging my fists on the door. He had already dragged me out of bed and was now in the bathroom when I desperately needed to go. He came out a minute later grinning at me.

“I take it you had fun at the punch party last night” he smirked, but all he got in return was the bathroom door slamming in his face.

Charlie, Macca and I were sitting at a table at breakfast when Connor and his family came over to sit with us. Connor and Charlie shared a birthday, and were best mates, and he also had two brothers that were the same ages as Macca and I. We had been living with the Watson’s for nearly a year now, and they treated us as if we were family.

Without the Watson’s I don’t know where I would be now, but it would certainly not be in the summer sun in the Mediterranean, in the place where ‘dreams come true.’ I had heard of Phokaia being referred to as that by more than one person who had been lucky enough to have visited or worked in the resort before. Before I had arrived it just increased my excitement, and now I was here, I realised it was living up to expectations.

“Macca! How’s it going mate?” Sean said as he and I walked into the amphitheatre together.

“Hey Seany! Yeah it’s good cheers, and you?” he replied now smiling

“Yeah I'm good” he replied and Macca went over to him and they began to talk. Jack was the only other person in there, so I went and sat down on the stage and listened to my iPod, shutting my eyes and relaxing.

Almost as soon as I had sat down and chosen a song that I liked I felt someone sit down beside me, so I opened my eyes, and found myself looking right into the deep brown eyes of Jack Holden.

“Hey” he said, “mind if I listen?”

“Yeah sure,” I said and handed him a headphone, and the iPod for him to pick a song.

A minute later I heard the first notes of Umbrella by Rhianna, and looked at Jack.

“Love this song” he said in reply to my quizzical look, and then started to nod his head in time with the music.

“Hey Jack look who it is” Sean said and gestured towards the entrance of the amphitheatre. There was a young girl standing there, unsure of whether to enter or not. Jack however did not reply, he did not even open his eyes; he just sat there listening to my Ipod.

“Jack!” Sean said again, and came over to try and rouse him.

“Oh hey, sorry I must have dropped off, what is it?” he asked sleepily. Sean pointed to the door, where the girl had taken a few steps in, and was now facing us on the stage. As Jack stood up and walked over to her he didn’t say a thing.

“I’ve missed you so much” he whispered in her ear as he embraced her tightly. The two shared a quick but passionate kiss, and then turned to the small crowd that was now watching the eagerly awaited reunion.

“Morning” Zippy said cheerily as she and Laura walked in.

“What’s going on?” Laura asked, wondering what everyone was watching.

“Oh nothing, Jack was just introducing us to someone.” Sean said, laughing slightly. Jack had turned red with embarrassment as soon as he realised everyone had been watching him and the girl, who he obviously knew well.

“This is Sophie, my girlfriend, she’s spending the next two weeks here,” he said, and then turning to Sophie, he introduced her to the other AA’s. There was evidently a look of discomfort on Hannah’s face, but I was the only one to notice it.

“Excuse me” Jack said to Laura, who was now sitting where he had been before.

“Yes?” she replied, smiling sweetly up at him.

“If I'm not mistaken, then you’re sitting in my seat. I would greatly appreciate it if you would move, before I have to pick you up and drop you over there.” He had tried to say this with a straight face, but had started to grin as he reached the end of his speech. Laura, knowing what was good for her, stood up and moved to sit on the other side of Zippy who was on the other side of me.

“You want a headphone again?” I asked as he watched me pick another song. The look on his face said it all, so once again I handed him the iPod, and a headphone and watched him pick a song.

This time I heard Jojo, Too Little Too Late come on.

“You love this song too?” I asked him trying not to laugh; he nodded, and started to dance to the music. This guy was great, we got on really well already and I had only known him for a day.

Archived