The PR Thread

QUIET ACHIEVER

Welcome to the New and Improved Proof Reading thread

QUIET ACHIEVER and allibaz91 will be running this thread on Skykat and Nicom's behalf. We thank both Skykat and Nicom for giving us the opportunity to run this thread and with their guidance we will endeavour to make it a smoothly running thread.

The PR Thread is now solely run by QUIET ACHIEVER from 2009 onwards. Please feel free to PM QUIET ACHIEVER if you have any questions or queries - I will be pleased to answer them and to guide you in the right direction. The thread will only have a few minor changes but apart from that, most things will stay the same. Please read the instructions to familiarise yourself with how the way things will be run.

Introduction

This thread is for authors and readers alike who want to challenge themselves through proof reading other people's fan fictions, giving ideas and encouragement to others, and maybe even making a friend or two along the way.

Behind a great story is a wonderful storyteller, we are all talented in our own special ways and believe we can help others in various ways. There are stories out there that are sometimes glanced over by frustrated readers who can't comprehend the reader's grammar or use of punctuation or that it doesn't flow accordingly - this is where a proof reader can help.

RULES

Don't get impatient with the Proof Readers if they don't send you back the chapter immediately. Patience is the key; please give them at least a day to check and reply. If they don't reply, then check the Proof Readers list on this thread, to see if they are still a Proof Reader. If they aren't then please post on here asking to be re-assigned to another Proof Reader. Because most of the Proof Readers will be unable to check your Fan Fic immediately, it's a good idea to always write your chapters a few days before posting them, that way you avoid having delays in posting your new chapters on your fan fic.

Also, if you are a Proof Reader DO NOT send on the chapters you receive to friends or other Proof Readers unless you have permission, because this is unfair to the author and would probably affect the amount of views and comments their fan fic receives. If you want to be a proof reader then please PM QUIET ACHIEVER.

REQUESTS FOR PROOF READING

If you require a proof reader for your fan fic, please fill out the Proof Reading form below and post it in this thread with your specific requests.

Proof Reading Form

Title of Story:

Type of Story: One-shot / Short/Medium or Long fic - please specify how long, do you have an ending in mind or is it continuous?

The Story's rating: Please use the Official Rating System

Main Characters: Self explanatory

Does it contain spoilers: eg spoilers for a UK proof reader

What type of proof reader would you like: see Categories of Proof Reader

ALLOCATION OF PROOF READERS

This will only be done by QUIET ACHIEVER as they know the specific requirements of each proof reader. The results of this allocation will be posted in this thread. Always inform either of us, via PM, when you have finished proof reading a particular fic so that we can keep track of your availability. Once a proof reader has been allocated to you, please PM them with your chapter/s. They will then check for spelling mistakes, grammar and punctuation errors, and things that don't make sense. They will edit it and change these for you, and then PM you it back, for you to post. If you are already half way through your fan fic, you can still have your chapters checked. Please DO NOT take it upon yourselves to allocate proof readers.

EXISTING PROOF READERS

Forms should have been filled out, but if one hasn't then please fill one out and PM it to QUIET ACHIEVER.

NEW PROOF READERS

New proof readers are always welcome. Please make sure that you fill out the form below and only PM this to QUIET ACHIEVER.

Proof Reader’s Form

Type of story you'd prefer/be available for: ie would you prefer just one-shots, short/medium fics or are you happy to take on a long fic bearing in mind it may be going for a long time?

Rating of story you'd be happy to take on: What material are you happy with reading, sexual, coarse language, violence and to what extent would you be happy with the content ie, mild, moderate, explicit.

Characters you'd specifically like/not like to proof for: ie no stalker fics, JM only

Happy with spoilers? - would you not want UK spoilers for example.

Type of Proof reader you'd be: See categories below

NB Proof reader forms are not to be posted in this thread.

CATEGORIES OF PROOF READER

There are lots of different types of proof reader…

There are proof-readers who will simply correct any SPAG errors they find.

Proof-readers who will offer suggestions, help, advice

Proof readers who will pass forth ideas and work through plot devices with you

Proof readers who will really challenge you to improve your writing, with suggestions, tips, tutorials etc

Proof readers who are a combination of all or some of these.

It’d make my job easier if you could give us an idea of what sort of proof reader you’d be and also what sort of proof reader you’d like as everybody looks for different things in a proof reader and it would help us assign you somebody who is right for you.

OFFICIAL RATING GUIDANCE FOR FAN FICTION BOARD

G: General audience.

T: Teen content. Mild or suggestions of adult content or themes.

A: Adult content or themes. Recommended 15+

R: Explicit, recommended 18+.

In addition to this we would like you to put whether your story contains Sexual Content (SC) Coarse language/swearing (L) Violence/Death (VD) Drug References (DR).

NOTE TO ALL AUTHORS OF FAN FICTIONS

When starting a fic, please make sure that you include the following in your Index Form -

Story Title:

Type of story:

Genre:

Main characters:

BTTB Rating:

Warnings:

Any spoilers included:

Summary:

Optional

Song titles (if any):

Is this fiction being proofread?:

APPRECIATE YOUR PROOF READER

Just a few tips to keep your proof reader happy:

• Always thank them and be patient with them.
  • Maybe let them know how they have helped you to grow in your writing skills.
  • Credit them before starting your fic.
  • Maybe as a kind gesture - do something nice for them eg. make an avatar or signature.

Edit: QUIET ACHIEVER will now be solely running this thread. I’d like to thanks Allibaz91 for all her help during the time that we worked together.

Edited by QUIET ACHIEVER

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PINNED.

Everything looks good. Thanks for taking over this from Nicole and I, we neglected it for a bit too long I think. :)

I just made one edit to your post, jackandmartha!! changed her username to Jade. :wink:

Edit 2: Rosey just told me she's proofreading for Jen so I added her to your list.

HI MY CURRENT PROOF READER IC CURRENTLY EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS WITH HER COMPUTER SO I WOULD BE GREATFUL IF ANY ONE COULD BE A TEMPORARY PROOF READER FOR ME :)

TITLE-TO FEEL SAFE

TYPE-LONG FICTION NO ENDING IN MIND YET,WORK IN PROGRESS

RATING-

CHARACTERS-THE STORY BASICALLY REVOVES AROUND JACK AND MARTHA BUT CONTAINS OTHER CHARACTERS TO

CONTAINS SPOILERS-NO

TYRE OF PROOF READER- IM LOOKING FOR A PROOF READER WHO WILL CORRECT SPAG AND OFFER SUGGESTIONS

I WOULD BE REALLY GREATFUL IF ANY ONE CAN HELP ME OUT THANK YOU :D

ALLOCATION OF PROOF READERS

This will only be done by either QUIET ACHIEVER or Allibaz, as they know the specific requirements of each proof reader. The results of this allocation will be posted in this thread. Always inform either of us, via PM, when you have finished proof reading a particular fic so that we can keep track of your availability. Once a proof reader has been allocated to you, please PM them with your chapter/s. They will then check for spelling mistakes, grammar and punctuation errors, and things that don't make sense. They will edit it and change these for you, and then PM you it back, for you to post. If you are already half way through your fan fic, you can still have your chapters checked. Please DO NOT take it upon yourselves to allocate proof readers.

Zetti, in keeping with the new rules, QA and I have already cleared this issue up :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Type of story: One shot

Rating: A

Main characters: Eve, Tracey, Peter and more

Genre: dont know

Warnings: A, V/D, S/C

Is story being proof read: will be

Any spoilers included: no

Summary: read and find out

Song titles used (if any): Avril Lavigne Girlfriend.

I've only just started it but would appreciate a proof reader =p

Proof Reading Form

Title of Story: Journey into The Unknown

Type of Story: Short fic

The Story's rating: Teens. Violence and some bad language

Main Characters: Jack and Martha

Does it contain spoilers: no spoilers

What type of proof reader would you like: Proof readers who are a combination of all or some of these.

Title of Story: All You Wanted

Type of Story: Long fic

The Story's rating: T/A. Language and some sexual references

Main Characters: Jack and Martha

Does it contain spoilers: no

What type of proof reader would you like: Proof readers who are a combination of all or some of these

Thankyou :D

Edited by kaciexox