Murder, The Stalker and Me

Guest Reo

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe switched on the tv that he managed to plug in without getting another shock, he sat back on the sofa. Martha had now left and he was on his own to relax into his new surroundings. Joe had been transferred from the city, he was used to crime after crime, nothing in the city fazed him to much. But two crimes in his life had haunted him, the first had changed his life and the way he confronted everything in his life after, but the last led to his transfer to this quiet town, where nothing ever happened, it felt like his punishment for his mistake. That is until he heard about the Summer Bay stalker and the history of the stalker and the person before her, Sarah. All the people that had died or hurt and now he was to replace another detective that had died trying to stop her.

'After what happened two weeks ago, we think a change of surroundings will do you good. There is a position to fill in a small town called Summer Bay'. The man sitting behind the desk announced.

'That's a little town on the edge of no-where? What possible crimes could they have? I think I'm a little too qualified to be handling the theft of some old ladies underwear or some illegal fruit picking. No offence'. Joe replied back angry at what he was hearing.

Putting years into his career and building it up to what it was, couldn't make him more angry to hear he was leaving the big city to a small coastal town. Sure he made mistakes, his biggest one, no-one even knew about. But since then his colleagues and bosses recognized a change in him and the way he worked, they didn't like it and his latest mistake was just their way of getting him out of their city, even if they made it out to be the good of him and the Bay.

'Not sure if Summer Bay will take kindly to your attitude, but I don't think you will be dealing with illegal fruit picking and the old ladies will have to deal with their own underwear. There is a stalker in the Bay, she has been stalking the sea side town for years, has killed a handful of people and the latest victim was the detective there'.

Joe perked up, he didn't realize that such a small town could have such a big problem.

'I know you may think like this would be a punishment, but would I really sent you to a place that has a stalker that killed the last detective if I didn't think you were qualified? You are a good detective and a qualified detective and that is why I think this move would be good for you and Summer Bay'.

Unable to find the remote Joe leaned forward and changed the channel on the tv. His favourite show came on the screen, he sat back and watched. It was a few minutes before he noticed the time, Joe quickly jumped up realizing that it was after 7 o'clock. He walked to the boxes he had yet to unpack and pulled out a wrinkled shirt and some jeans. All the while watching tv, walking from room to room, box to box, finding the things he needed.

'Everyone get down on the floor now!' The voice demanded on the tv.

Joe ran from the other room and towards the sofa, his eyes fixed onto the tv, he was obsessed with a cop show called 'Apprehension'. Joe even used quotes from the show when he was on duty and off, but of course if someone thought they recognized the quotes, Joe would play dumb. Joe looked back at his watch, it was after 7, it was a choice between Apprehension or Lara. Apprehension repeated, Joe didn't think Lara would. Taking one last look he turned off the tv and walked downstairs.

Before Joe could even get through the door a small woman in a floral shirt scuttled over to him.

'Detective Alexander, I'm Colleen Smart. I hear you are on a date with the lovely Constable Fitzgerald' Colleen said obviously taken Joe by shock as he stepped back and looked at her.

'Er, yeah. That's me and I am'. Joe replied still stunned by this woman infront of him who he had never met, but seemed to know his name and what he was doing. Summer Bay really was a small town where everyone knew your business.

'Well she only got here a few minutes ago, but she has been waiting' Colleen replied pointing to the corner of the Diner where Lara sat looking at the menu.

'Thanks' Joe said stepping beside her wary and walked over to Lara and sat down opposite.

'Sorry I'm late'. Joe said smiling at her as she brought down the menu.

'I would love to here you excuse and wont take bad traffic for the reason why you are late. For one, we don't get much traffic and another, you live upstairs'. Lara smirked.

Joe laughed.

'Yeah, been abit busy and only just settled down. Didn't realize how much time had gone by'.

'That's okay, well I know what I want. How about you?' Lara asked as she handed him the menu.

Colleen scuttled over to them again, smiling for ear to ear and excited that they were on a date, like it some how effect her life. But Colleen did like young couples getting together and living happily ever after, even if it was very rare in Summer Bay, but Joe didn't know that.

'So, what can I get you?' Colleen asked still smiling at the young couple.

'I'll have the tuna salad, Colleen'. Lara said.

'And you Detective Alexander' Colleen asked looking at the new detective.

Joe turned his head and was stunned again by the way Colleen presented herself infront of him, he had never met anyone like her before.

'Veggi lasagna look good'. Joe said simply, although he don't know how anything could look good when all that was on the menu were simply the words 'Vegetable Lasagna', how do words look good? But that's what people seemed to say.

Colleen wrote it down on her notepad.

'Good choices, they shouldn't be too long' Colleen said turning to walk back into the kitchen.

'So, why did you come to the bay?' Lara asked not sure how to start the conversation.

'Just a simple transfer, change of scenery, different challenges'. Joe lied not wanting to talk about his past mistakes not only with hopefully a girlfriend but with a colleague aswell.

'Well you will certainly get a challenge here' Lara replied thinking about Zoe and the loss of Peter.

'Jacobson. Were you close to Peter?' Joe asked, not knowing much about Zoe or Peter apart from what he had read in files given to him days ago when he was told about the transfer'.

'We were friends outside of work, he tried so hard to get Zoe. His family are really taking it hard'. Lara said looking down at the table.

Joe took his chance and changed the conversation, not only to stop Lara feeling so bad, but also so they weren't taking about work.

'What's with--' Joe said nodding his head in the direction of Colleen.

Lara laughed.

'Colleen Smart. She is a nice lady, but a real gossiper and loves getting involved in other people's business' Lara said smiling at him.

'So, no secrets here then' Joe said thinking about his past and how is secrets have remained a secret.

Joe quickly turned as he saw Colleen come towards them with two plates in her hand, she set them on the table when a loud explosion followed by various sounds of alarms coming from cars, screams coming from people outside and the gasps of everyone inside. People looked at each other, those standing froze to the spot and stared at the wall, like they were trying to look through it, knowing that they didn't want to look but knew that something had happened, some bad and it wasn't the first time. She was back again.

Joe rushed past Colleen who had started to get hysterical, Sally rushed over to her and tried to calm her down without succeeding. Lara squeezed past and followed Joe out to see that he had his gun in hand and ran over with the wall behind him, crouched down looking at the car that had just exploded. Quickly examining the scene and noting that no-one had been hurt, everyone had run from the car and no-one else was to be seen. Joe stood up, still with his gun in his hand and walked slowly to the car, his gun pointed out infront of him, ready and alert if someone should pounce.

Joe got as close as he could to the car before he felt the heat of the flames, he stopped looking at the car, his car. Joe put the gun away and stared, he sighed when Lara approached from behind.

'Looks like a welcome message' Lara said sadly and disappointed.

Joe could see that this was upsetting her so soon after Peter's death, having to still deal with the stalker, deal with the fears of the people in the Bay, the targets.

'I called for backup, but I think she is long gone'. Lara said looking at Joe who hadn't spoken.

Joe turned and looked at her.

'I think I left the tv remote in my car'. Joe turned his head back to his car in disbelief.

His first stalker incident, even though he went through worse in the city. It was a shock that something would happen so soon and target him, a warning, a threat. Joe turned back to Lara now having snapped out of it.

'As soon as backup gets here I want teams around searching the area and get some people to put road blocks on the main roads, she has the guts to use them'.

Lara looked at him.

'Jacobson isn't the type of person just to plant a bomb and leave. She would wait, wait for the explosion and to see the reaction, meaning if she has now left there area, it wasn't too long ago'.

Lara got out her mobile and rang the station. Joe turned to see some paper flapping in the wind but stayed stuck to the ground. He walked over to it to see it was being held down by a rock, he bent down and pulled out the paper and turned it over to read the words 'Welcome to Summer Bay'. Joe looked at the note for a second before looking out in the distance, thinking about what was going through Zoe's mind. He turned to look at Lara walking by some of the cars, still talking on the phone. Joe noticed a box under the boot of another car, the car that Lara stood by. Joe quickly jumped up and ran to Lara.

'Lara! Get out of the way! There's another bomb!' Joe shouted as he ran towards her.

Lara looked up at him, the people in the Diner were all crowed by the door, looking on and fearing the worse. Joe reached Lara and grabbed her by the arm, not stopping in his running he dragged her along and past the car, both diving into the air as the car exploded, both landing on the grass, Joe held onto her arms and Lara held onto his. Joe let out a deep breath and looked at her.

'Welcome to Summer Bay' Joe said to himself.

lol Thanks :D

Err..Well can't give too much away because I want to it be a shock. But Joe was working on a police case that lacked evidence,so he took action that the police wouldn't like if they found out, but he made a mistake that has haunted him since..And then his mistake that led to his transfer was the result of what happened the first time round.

When Zoe finds it out, she will use it to control Joe and because if this secret is revealled it will have major consequences in his life, Joe will do just about anything to keep it a secret, so maybe Joe will be the one that ends up hurting the bay under Zoe's control.

And I'm not sure..Havent even started it yet :P

Its going to continue from that moment,so I know abit of what is happening,but not all..

I will have something up in the next couple of days though.

Kind of a filler chapter..Nothing new,until the end.

Rachel ran out towards Joe and Lara who had lifted themselves off the ground staring at the two exploded cars.

'Are you two okay?' Rachel asked them.

'I'm fine' Lara said looking at Joe who was mesmerized by the fire. 'We're both fine'.

Joe turned to Rachel.

'Yeah, I'm fine'. Joe confirmed.

Seeing Jack walk over to them, Joe met him half way.

'You got to start organizing to get these people home safely, no-one, I mean no-one is to stay here unless they are in uniform'. Joe demanded.

Lara appeared beside him.

'Do you want me to go and help Jack?' she asked him.

'No, I need you to call the bomb squad. I don't think there are any more. Just the first to get our attention and then the second to catch us off our guard while we are near the first. But we have to be sure. Call them and get them down here'.

Lara walked away, picking her mobile off the floor and dialling another number.

Joe turned and shouted to her.

'I guess the date's off then!'.

Lara turned and laughed.

Jack rounded up the group of people who were eating in the Diner, trying to calm them down and explaining that everyone needed to go home. Colleen was in hysterics and neither Sally or Irene could calm her down.

'She's back! She could of killed us all' Colleen screamed.

'Colleen, Colleen!' Jack tried to get Colleen's attention but she continued to scream and shout.

Joe walked over to them.

'Ms Smart!' Joe shouted getting Colleen's attention.

'We don't know 100% that this was Jacobson, but I think we can safely say it is. What we need to do now is to get you all home safely. Being hysterical is not going to make it easy, we are going to get you all home safe'. Joe said taking control.

'Well that's easy for you to say, what about after that. Some of us live alone with no protection'.

'Colleen, you can come stay with us tonight' Sally said taking her arm as she finally calmed down.

'And there will be a lot of police officers going around in their cars to give you extra security'.

'Oh, well that's nice' Colleen said smiling at Joe.

Joe stared at Colleen for a second and then walked away leaving Jack to sort them out.

'How's it going?' he asked Lara as she put down her phone.

'They are on their way, do you really think there could be more bombs?' she asked.

'I don't think so. I think they would of gone off by now. But we have to get it checked out'.

Lara nodded.

----

Sally walked through the door with Colleen scattering in close behind talking about how good a detective Joe is and the fear of more bombs from Zoe ans her other attacks.

'Bombs?' Brad said shocked and looked around. 'What bombs?'

As Sally was about to speak Colleen walked infront.

'Zoe, she's started again! She blew up Detective Alexander's car. And if he hadn't of gotten Constable Fitzgerald out of the way she would of become Zoe's next victim'. Colleen said all flustered as she sat down.

'Zoe planted a bomb under Joe's car. No-one was hurt but Joe saw a bomb under a car that Lara was standing next to. He ran and got her out of the way in time. Lucky no-one was hurt, he has arranged for a search and for police cars to be circling the area to give us some security'. Sally explained more.

'Are you okay?' Ric said jumping up and moving over to Sally.

'I'm fine. We were all in the Diner at the time'. Sally said easing the fears of Ric, Cassie, Brad and Alf who had all gathered around her.

'I just can't believe it is all starting again' Sally sighed.

----

Joe paced his office, people were rushing back and forth, people entered, people exited. Police cars were coming and going, phones were ringing. People scared for their safety, people believing they had heard something in their garden or street. The natural fear of people when their lives were in danger, again. Lara walked in and saw Joe staring at the board Peter put together, pictures of Zoe, reports of Zoe's actions, everything Peter had put together to try and capture Zoe.

'Bomb squad came back'. Lara said walking over to him.

Joe turned.

'They found nothing. We have people investigating the crime scene now'. Lara said.

'Let me know when they find something. We maybe able to find out where she got the parts to make the bomb'. Joe said as he walked to his desk and picked up his gun.

'Where are you going?' Lara asked him.

'For a drive around, see if I can see anything suspicious. I trust there is a car I can borrow?' Joe said as he walked out of the station.

----

Belle rushed into the house to see Amanda had passed out on the sofa, a empty wine bottle laid on the table and another was half empty next to a glass. Belle sighed and rushed forward, shaking her to wake her up. Amanda stirred but didn't come to under Belle shook her again.

'Belle, what's wrong?' Amanda asked all dazed.

'There was another attack, Zoe blew up some cars outside the Diner', Belle said with fear in her voice.

Amanda didn't speak, she managed to sit up and stare down to the floor.

'Mum?' Belle said sitting down next to her.

'I don't think I can do this again, Belle'. Amanda managed to say with a tear in her eye and her throat all choked.

'Maybe we should go and stay with Dan tonight. Ryan's there and I don't really feel safe with just us in a big house' Belle said standing up like it was already decided.

----

Lara walked back into Joe's office after a long hard night, everyone who was apart of that station was working all night. No evidence or leads were found, Zoe was long gone. Joe was asleep in the chair with Zoe's file and the Crime Scene Investigators report infront of him. Lara places a cup of coffee on the desk and softly shook Joe awake. Joe opened his eyes and lifted his head.

'Coffee'. Joe said reaching for it and taking a sip.

'You're first night in the bay and you spent it asleep in your chair at work'. Lara said smiling at him.

'I know where I would of liked to have spent it' Joe said smirking up at her.

'We are going to have to rearrange that date' he said, standing up and sliding past her.

Lara laughed and followed him out to the main desk.

'Any new information?' Joe asked everyone and was disappointed hearing all the negative responses and people shaking their heads.

'We must have something. Have we looked into where the stuff were bought?'

Jack stood up.

'I checked it out and the person that sold them doesn't remember the person, just average height, average looks. Different colour hair to Zoe's though. So she must of wore a wig'.

Joe nodded disappointedly. He placed his coffee down on the desk before walking out of the station.

----

Joe entered the Diner flat and saw that he had messages on his answering machine. He dropped his keys next to the phone and pressed the button on the machine and walked to the fridge, opening the door.

'Hello Detective Alexander, did you like my little welcoming present?' the voice asked on the machine.

Joe turned, he had only heard Zoe's voice from a interview tape.

'Constable Fitzgerald was lucky you were there. Otherwise she wouldn't of woken up this morning. I hope you weren't too attached to your car, I had to get your attention somehow. Just to let you know what you are dealing with. I'll be seeing you soon'.

Joe slammed the fridge door closed and walked over to the answering machine when another message started.

'Joseph? It's Morag. If you are there, pick up. No? Well, I just wanted to know how you were doing and if you had told them yet? As I haven't heard anything, I guess you haven't. They need to know Joseph. You have to tell them. How would it be if you have been in the Bay and around them for weeks or months and then they find out. I guarantee they won't like it. Call me back'.

Joe switched the machine off and sighed.

Archived