To Feel Safe

Guest nanook

PART 3

It was now evening, and Martha had decided to take her granddad up on the offer of a job at Noah's. She was gradually getting used to it, though admitted, she did make a few mistakes. She started to enjoy herself, though she did have Beth by her side, the sweet lady in her forties. Martha liked the way she didn't get angry of judge from her Mistakes. It gave Martha a confidence she never had before.

As Martha looked at the clock, she found it had now turned 10 o'clock. Beth was starting to clean up as there were only a few customers at the moment.

"You can take your break now, if you want Martha." She shouted.

"Okay." Martha shouted in response and made a beeline for a chair, as she had been standing for what felt like forever. Just as she was closing her eyes, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Startled, Martha leaped of her chair and backed towards the wall behind her.

"Oh god, Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you." Martha looked up. She recognized the cute, warm smile. It was Jack, the guy from the Beach.

"I really didn't mean to frighten you like that, it's just that you looked so sweet asleep." Jack grinned a grin that would melt any girls heart, hoping to win the confidence Martha had had in him back.

"That's okay." Martha replied. "I just don't like people creeping up on me like that, y'know. I'm a big scardey Cat." Martha added half laughing, trying to hide the shakiness she was feeling inside her. No use, because Jack could see her shivering with fright.

"How about I get you a drink. To apologize for my stupidity. Hey, Beth, could I have a beer and…. Whatever Martha wants?" he shot Martha a questioning look.

"Honestly I'm fine." She replied hastily.

The officer shook his head. "I wont take no for an answer."

She sighed, but smiled. "Fine. That's two beers please, then."

Beth brought the two drinks over straight away, as she was having trouble scrubbing some stains off the walls that a rowdy bunch of teenagers had made before they left. Young people had no respect.

"So, where did you live before?" Jack asked, sipping his beer, trying to make conversation.

"The City, I lived with my Mum until I was seventeen. Then I got my own place. How about you? Do you live with anyone?"

Jack nodded. "Yeah, with my dad and brother. What can I say, I'm a kid at hart. But I wouldn't change it. I couldn't be without them."

Martha smiled. She liked the way he spoke about his family. He really loved them and wasn't ashamed to show it.

"So what do you do? I gather your not a professional in going around scaring people to death." She couldn't help giggling.

"No." Jack replies. Wow, he thought to himself. How beautiful is she when she smiles?

"Jack?" Martha bellowed.

"Sorry. I was away with the fairies and what else there." He said, looking a little embarrassed. "Believe it or not I'm actually a Police officer.

"Really? I never would have guessed. Seems like your happy there. That surprises me, usually your really grumpy." Martha couldn't help laughing again.

"What can I say?" Jack replied. "It's the Holden-Charm." Jack kept his eyes focused on Martha, feeling the buzz and tension between them.

"I have to go now my breaks up and Beth seems busy" Martha quickly got out of her chair and all but ran to the bar. She had felt the intensity between them as well.

'What did I do?'; Jack thought to himself, and made his way towards Martha. He didn't know what had happened. There was something there, some sort of attraction, but why did she run away and deny it? Did he do something? Was it a look he gave her? Maybe she had bad experience with relationships, that was it. Maybe he should try being a friend to her.

"Is everything okay?" He asked her, concerned.

"Yeah, I'm fine, its just really busy. I'm sorry, we could chat another time. I'd like to hear more about you." Martha replied hastily. Jack could hear the tension in her voice. He could have asked what was really wrong, sat her down, comfort her, get to know her. But he didn't.

"Yeah. Sure… no problem. I'll see you tomorrow, for lunch maybe." Jack couldn't help it. He had to try again, this girl for all un-known reasons made him feel alive and happy and chatty.

"Sure." Martha couldn't believe it when the answer came out. What was it about this guy?; she thought to herself.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, just wanted to say I'm in England right now, and at home my Computer is broken, but you can PM me your Chapter again, and I'll let you know when my Computer business is sorted out :) Or if you wanna find yourself a temporary Proofreader that's fine as well

PART 4

It had now been an hour since Jack had left and Martha still couldn't stop thinking about him, why was it that every time he's around she felt like she was 15 again.

Beth had noticed Martha had been in a day dream ever since Jack had left it made her smile "aah young love" Beth thought to her self."Martha you can go now if you want" Beth shouted.Are you sure there's still sum washing up to be done Martha said pointing to dirty glasses and plates, no its fine you get home you did good today i'll see you tomorrow. "Ok thankyou i really enjoyed today" good Beth shouted in reply as she made her way into the back room.

Martha walked slowly along the beach it was beautiful at night, she still couldn't believe she had said yes to Jacks invite. What if every thing went wrong again could she open her heart again at the risk of being broken , Martha smiled to her self it was to late her heart was already open.

"MARTHA ARE U GETTING UP TODAY" i think shes been abducted alf said as he entered the kitchen were Sally,Cassie and Rick were.No i heard her come in Rick said smiling, just then Martha entered "strewth love didn't you hear me" sorry grandad i guess im not use to working these late nights.Oh how did it go Cassie asked " i forgot it was your first day at noah's" yes it was good i really enjoyed myself "thats great love, so what you up to today then" Alf asked. I thought i might check out the surf, its been ages since i've been surfing.

" You can borrow my surf board if you want Martha, i wont be using it i have to go into work" thanks Rick "only dont scratch it i know what you women surfers are like" RICK shouted as he quickley made hes exit laughing.The cheeky so and so Martha said smiling.

As Martha sat on the surf board out at sea she could feel the breeze rushing through her, she still couldn't believe she was here,she had actually made a break for freedom and was enjoying every bit of it. It took martha several goes before her technique of surfing came back and then there was no stopping her.

It was now lunch time as Martha returned home "hey Martha do you want sum sandwiches"Sally was in the kitchen "that would be great im starving" Martha replied.

Had a good surf then oh by the way jack called several times.Oh no Martha thought i can't believe i forgot "everything okay Martha"Sally asked yes its fine but can we leave the sandwiches i forgot i had sum were to be "sure Martha thats fine i'll see you later".

Martha quickley ran up the stairs i can't believe i forgot i was enjoying surfing so much it had had completely slipped my mind i'd better call and appologise.

I cant believe ive been stud up Jack thought to himself as he sat in the dinner just then hes phone rang "HEY JACK ITS MARTHA" "oh so you are alive then not been abducted by aliens or anything" "LOOK IM SORRY I WENT FOR A SURF AND TOTALLY FORGOT I DIDNT DO IT ON PURPOSE HONESTLY" Martha could tell Jack seemed dissapointed in hes voice "HOW ABOUT WE TRY AGAIN SAY IN AN HOUR I PROMISE I,LL BE THERE" Jack could tell martha meant it and there was something about this girl that was to good to pass up "ok" Jack answered "see you soon then bye" "BYE" Martha hung up the phone.

It had been 20 minutes since MARTHA had rang Jack.She had decided to weare a blue flowery dress she didn't really have much choice though,when she made her escape she had left most of her best clothes with him.Martha staired in the mirror this will have to do she thought to her self.

Jack sat in the diner looking at hes watch she was late or had decided to ditch him again just as jack was getting up hes heart stopped as he staired towards the entrance he couldnt believe hes eyes Martha had just entered wearing a blue dress and looking stunning.

"WOW you look amazing" jack couldnt help smiling as martha sat, "thank you Martha knew she was blushing, "so what can i get you" Jack asked sencing Martha's shyness "i'll have a pasta salad thank you".Martha watched Jack make hes way to the counter he looks so handsome martha thought to her self she could feel all butterflies in her stomach, she hadn't felt those in a long time.

Jack and Martha had been chatting for a while there luch had been and gone.Martha couldn't believe how comfortable and easy she felt around him they hadn't stopped chatting all afternoon.It had now turned 6 as Jack and Martha walked across the beach "so how about we go surfing next time as you enjoy it so much"jack said smiling towards Martha "how do you know there will be a next time "Martha couldn't help teasing him they both started laughing.As they arrived at the caravan park house front door Martha could feel the butterflies returning again Jack turned towards Martha he was now standing inches from her he could feel her breathing on him "what shall i do shall i make my move Jack thought to himself what if its to soon fo her or what if she finds some one else if i dont with all this going through hes head Jack desided to just go for it.Martha could tell Jack was just as nervous as she was then she could feel him moving towards her Jack slowley put hes hand to her face and brushed her hair away rubbing hes hand sofly across her cheek he then moved in closer and slowley there mouths met.

Hey every 1 i have finally finished the fifth chapter i hope you enjoy it :)

PART 5

As Jack and Martha both lay in bed, both couldn't help but think about the events of the night before. ‘Everything was going so well,’ Martha thought to herself, ‘that was, until I freaked out, when Jack tried to kiss me. What’s wrong with me, finally I find someone who actually cares for me, and I freak out when he comes near me? How can I face him ever again? He must think I’m a right loser!’ Martha continued cursing herself as she made her way into the living room.

"Morning love - you were late last night. I didn't hear you come in; I was worried."

“Oh, sorry Granddad, I went out with a friend and lost track of time."

“That’s ok love, no need to apologise. You’re a grown woman now, and a beautiful one at that, may I add!"

“Granddad, now you’re making me blush - thank you.” Martha kissed her granddad on the cheek. She forgot how sweet he could be.

”So who was the friend?” Cassie asked, winking.

"Oh, er… " Martha paused a little. “It was Jack, Jack Holden. We just had a meal, that’s all. No big deal.” Martha could feel her cheeks glowing - why did she always have to blush so easily?

“Ooh, Jack Holden!” Cassie teased her.

"It's not like that," Martha protested, feeling her cheeks getting hotter.

"I think Jack’s a lovely guy,” Sally added.

At that cue, Martha decided to make her getaway.

"I’m gonna go for a jog; burn some of that delicious breakfast off. Thank you Sally, and I will see you later Granddad. "Martha quickly made her exit.

“I think we embarrassed her!” Cassie said, giggling.

“Ah, nonsense,” Alf said. "Martha’s made of strong stuff - she knows we were only teasing. Oh, that reminds me - has she said anything about how long she’s staying?”

"Not to me," Sally answered.

"Me either,” Cassie added. “

“Ric, how about you?”

"Nope, she hasn’t said two words about it.”

"Oh well. I guess she'll let us know,” Alf answered.

Jack sat in the station, supposedly doing paperwork, but he couldn't help thinking about Martha and what had happened. What had he done, had he moved too fast? He was sure he could sense she wanted to kiss him too. But the way she pulled away like she was burned or something … maybe he had moved to quickly, Jack thought to himself.

"Jack." It was Peter, Jack’s boss. "There’s been a call out to the Diner - some kids playing up apparently."

“I’m onto it!” Jack needed a distraction.

As Jack entered the Diner, three teenage thugs were throwing food around and Colleen was shouting at them to stop.

"Oh, Constable Holden! Thank goodness you’re here!”

"Ok Colleen, I'll take it from here … Right lads,” Jack addressed the teenagers, “how about you all leave right now, and I won’t arrest you for disturbing the police?” As one of the lads was about to backchat, Jack gave him a stern look, and all three exited the Diner.

”Thank you Constable Holden! Those kids were horrible,” Colleen mumbled on for about 10 minutes, before Jack made his excuses and left.

Walking towards his car. Jack soon caught sight of Martha jogging along the beach. Shall I go over? Jack thought to himself.

Martha had been jogging for an hour now, up and down the beach, clearing her head. Just as she was reaching the Diner, her heart began beating faster then it was already - and that was pretty fast. Jack was heading towards her.

"Hi …" Martha couldn't help feeling embarrassed, remembering last night.

"Look about last night…" Jack asked. "Did I do something wrong? I thought we were getting on great."

“We were,” Martha interrupted. "Look I’m sorry Jack, I really do like you … especially in your uniform! "Martha laughed tying to diffuse the tense situation. “I just don’t know if it will work, and I can’t risk it again." Martha stopped, knowing she had said to much.

"Risk what?" Jack asked her.

"It doesn’t matter," Martha said hastily, about to run away.

"Look, Martha,” Jack began. As he gently grabbed her hand, Martha felt how warm and safe it felt. "I don’t know what’s happened in the past, but I know what I feel now, and I know I’ve never felt anything like this before. So I’m gonna kiss you now, and if you don’t want me to, just walk away - I wont follow or hassle you any more, I promise." Jack couldn’t believe he’d taken a risk like this – the risk of losing Martha for good.

Martha stood in shock; the butterflies in her stomach going berserk, as Jack slowly edged towards her…

WHAT WILL MARTHA DO? WILL SHE RUN AND RISK LOSING JACK FOREVER, OR WILL SHE TAKE A CHANCE .....?

Archived