World Come Undone

Guest sevenpuddings

First of all, let me apologise profusely for the delay in the update. I've got major writers block and nothing will come out. Plus I don't want to give you guys substandard work. I'm really hoping after the next couple of weeks as I get my major Uni assignments out of the way I'll be able to write more and more, because this story is beginning to shape up into being my longest. So hopefully you guys will stick with me and my horrible updating skills throughout it!!

THANKS!!!

Edit: A MEGA HUGE THANK YOU TO SKYKAT FOR PROOF READING!!!

-

World Come Undone

Chapter Four – Quit your life.

-

He strolled in as if he owned the place, and I couldn’t help rolling my eyes. He strutted towards me, sticking one shoulder in front of the other as he flipped the chair around and slumped down across from me.

“Man, this whole job thing sucks,” Drew groaned, as I smirked at him. “I mean, sure I was expecting chicks to be there, but I mean,” He shuffled closer, “Mrs. Smart isn’t exactly a…”

He was cut off sharply by a piercing voice in the background.

“Yoo hoo,” Colleen yelled from behind the register. “Drew,” She smiled and threw him what I guessed she assumed was a flirty look. I held back a snort as Drew groaned.

“Come on mate, your number one customer wants some quality time with you,” I mocked, as he threw me a glare, uttering, “Not another damn word,”

Standing up, he walked slowly over to her, his eyes in small slits of frustration as she yacked on to him about how she thought she could be training a bit harder. Stifling a laugh as Drew only nodded and agreed I had to wonder how my best mate had gotten himself into that mess.

It had been only months ago that I’d walked out of school, after yet another heated argument with Hyde, where I’d told him to stick his education. That hadn’t gone down well with either Sally or Flynn, which had resulted in my being issued an ultimatum. Either I find a job or I head back and grovel to Hyde to let me back in.

Like hell I was going to rot away in Summer Bay High. I landed on my feet when the local garage hired me as an apprentice. I’d always had an interest in tinkering with things, and when I finally got my hands dirty in the body of a car, I knew it was destiny.

Drew didn’t take too kindly to it though, didn’t take too kindly to it at all. See, we’d been mates for a while now. Something about beating the crap out of one another in year seven, and being forced onto the local boxing team for anger realise made us realised we’d be better off together terrorising people than terrorising each other. It seems like a crazy way to strike up a friendship, but if you knew Drew and I, well it comes across as practically normal.

Neither of us had been exposed to loving, caring homes as children. While I was my father’s biggest mistake, Drew was his dad’s biggest regret, so we both kinda just joined forces and stayed away from home for as long as humanly possible. If your best mate understands your reasoning for a twentieth round of pool, well, I liked to tell Drew we had it pretty good.

I mean, we’d been tested over the years. When my dad died, and I moved in with Sally and Flynn, it had been hard on our friendship. Hell, there’d even been a punch up or two during that year, but we’d sorted things in the end. Which is how I knew when I got the job at the garage, that eventually Drew would be okay.

What I didn’t count on was his counter-action against it.

“Well, if you have a job, I’ll get one too,” Drew said one day, out of the blue, during a breather at boxing.

I’d almost spat the water I was drinking out all over him. Instead, I inhaled it, causing a coughing fit that lasted a good couple of minutes.

“A job?” I’d asked, in what I now recall to be quite an insulting manner. But at that stage I was too dumbstruck to really care.

Drew had shrugged nonchalantly as we’d headed back over to the bags. “Maybe at the gym. I hear old man Holden can’t get his kid to help, so I figure why not? Its not as if I don’t know my way around one or anything,” He commented as he began to punch the bag.

And Drew had done just that. Taken the job, and began working there part time, after school and on weekends. Although so far his only real clientele happened to be the local gossipmonger and her little posse of elderly friends.

I continued to hold in my laughter as he returned, shamed and despondent from his encounter. I opened my mouth, but snapped it shut with one look from him.

“Do. Not. Even. Say. It.” He managed to breathe out, before bashing his head down on the table. “Why? Why did I ever think that being a gym instructor would get me in with the babes?”

I shook my head, and was about to answer, when a vision walked into my life. Her blonde hair fell to below her shoulders, and was swept to the side of her tanned body. Her blue eyes, traced with elegance searched the room carefully, as she placed on hand onto her hip, and my eyes flicked over her petite body. She sighed for a moment, before her gaze landed on me. Licking her lips and grinning, she floated towards our table.

I managed to whack Drew to wake him from his doldrums before she arrived. “There is a goddess on her way towards us. I call first dibs,” I muttered just before she reached our table, looking between Drew and I, before nodding towards her blonde body guard and sitting down in the spare chair between Drew and I.

“Matilda Hunter,” She extended her hand towards Drew, who reached out and shook it.

“Drew Curtis,” He replied, a twinge of a smirk appearing on his lips as he drank in her presence. Not so subtly, I kicked him under the table. He jumped backwards in his chair, breaking the grip with Matilda’s hand, allowing her to turn to face me.

“And, you are?” She arched a perfectly shaped eyebrow, as she looked me up and down quickly. Suddenly, I wished I wasn’t in my dirty mechanic overalls, but rather looking cool and collected like Drew.

“Eric Dalby,” I replied, nervously reaching my hand out towards her. She shook it lightly, her mouth set in a thin line. “But my mates call me Ric,” I added offhandedly at the end, hoping to at least appear as if I had it together.

“Do they now?” She quipped, as she turned back to look at Drew, who was rubbing a shin. “And what do you friends call you?” She asked, leaning forward onto the table and fluttering her eyes at him.

“F#@*,” Drew swore, as she pulled back from him once more. “They call me late, coz old man Holden will kick my ass if I’m not at work on time again,” He groaned, standing up and practically pushing the table onto Matilda. “I’ll call you later man,” He said, waving over his shoulder as he ran from the diner.

Stunned, Matilda let out a small ‘hmph’ from her perfect lips, before crossing her arms across her body. I sat there like a gaping fish, opening my mouth what felt like a million times.

“Are you planning on saying something grease monkey?” She snapped at me, her brow knitted in annoyance.

Stunned, I shook my head, looking down at the table. “Shame,” She continued from next to me, her tone gentler, “If only you had the brains to match the looks,” She sighed. Her hands came undone from her chest as she leant forwards towards me, running a hand slowly up my arm. “Such a shame.”

Her hands began to trace light circles across my arm muscles, her eyes staring deeply into mine, as I felt myself being pulled magnetically towards her. Her lips curved into a smirk as I shifted closer to her, her nails leaving white trails across my bicep.

“Matilda,” Someone snapped behind us, and she turned to growl at him.

“Henry,” She growled through gritted teeth. “Can’t this wait?”

Smirking, he shook his head and he walked towards the table. His blonde hair was gelled back from his face, his hands shoved carefully into his pockets to give the guise that he simply woke up looking like gods gift to women. Jerk was a more apt name for the guy, I thought to myself as I rolled my eyes at him.

“Sorry sweetheart can’t do. Mother dearest is waiting for us to have our first family dinner in the hell hole.” He spat out, and she groaned deeply. “Why, why must she force this upon us only hours after dragging us away from boarding school?” She sighed dramatically, before turning to face me, flashing a small smile. “Sorry Rob, it appears I’ve got to cut this lovely meeting short. But I’ll keep an eye out for you, k?” She winked, before rushing off with her brother, before I could even say, “The name is Ric,”

Her blonde hair flounced against her back like the hurricane she was, as I sat back to reflect on our first meeting. She was blunt, offhand and rude, but god was she something else. I’d never met someone so sure of themselves in my life, aside from Drew, and well, let’s face it; he wasn’t going to look anywhere near as pretty in the school uniform as she was.

She was certainly something else, I mused, as I walked home along the shoreline. Now I just had to figure out a way to get into her good graces, and win her over. Something told me that wasn’t going to be as easy as I imagined though.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly I have to explain that the wonderful Jess had this ready to go over a week ago but her crap proof reader kept you all waiting so its my fault this was delayed and I sincerely apologise.

Jess already knows what I think but I thought I'd add a few thoughts.

Great friendship between Drew and Ric, very believable and genuine. I could just imagine them hating each other and being friends and I always see them as being more similar than Ric and Lucas anyway.

Matilda, god I love her, I love how we can see the way her minds working. Her interest in Drew but her playing with Ric, her little putdowns. Reminds me of a certain queen bitch from a story of mine... anyway she's so much fun to read and such a complex character.

I'm too tired to write much more sense but you should know that I loved it as always. :)

Well, it was worth the wait!

Really liking the Drew/Ric relationship. It's kind of how it should be, but we hardly get to see it on screen. The reference to boxing reminded me of the Max/Henry thing that happened a while ago, so it seems their relationship is a bit like that.

Matilda, you've gotta love her! The way she seems to be playing with both the boys is awesome.

:)

I agree with Jen - that was definitely worth the wait Jess! And don't worry about it being your longest fic yet, the more the better :)

I agree with everything said so far - loving the Drew/Ric friendship. You've written it really well with their bond and also their mocking of each other. Loved Colleen's infatuation with Drew as well! :lol:

And as always, stuck up Matilda is priceless! Would hate to meet her, but love her character so much. I really don't know what she's playing at except she loves to be idolised.

Are you planning on saying something grease monkey?” She snapped at me, her brow knitted in annoyance.

Absolutely cracked up over that line!!

She was blunt, offhand and rude, but god was she something else.

And that was great too! Looking forward to seeing how this all works out! It's so complicated, everyone likes everyone else!!

I know you have a lot on, so take your time Jess because your updates are always worth waiting for :)

I agree with Jen and Kase. :)

I actually think the wait is a good thing [probably one of the only people who do think this :P] because it makes you look forward to it more and you tend to enjoy more when updates aren't that often too many updates in too little time isn't that good as by the time you're thinking i really want an update on that it's already there so you may not enjoy it as much.

I really like the friendship between Ric and Drew, and Matilda's attitude towards them both i'm looking forward to reading about Drew and Mattie as it's something different although don't know for definite whether they'll be together yet and i like Henry in it i think your style of writing and your ideas really make it interesting and different which is good!

• 1 month later...

First of all, thank Kat for getting this back to me quickly, otherwise it wouldn't have been posted for a week :P Secondly, I hope everyone enjoys. I'm finally coming to an end of Uni, so I really, really hope that I'll be able to write some more of this more quickly. At least I know the direction in which its headed. Enjoy!!

-

-

World Come Undone

Chapter Five – Know Thy Enemy

“Oh god, Belle,” Cassie groaned across to me, as Anna, rolled her eyes. “Look what the cat dragged in,” I swiveled in my seat to see Ric Dalby enter the diner, his grease stained overalls tied around his waist. Standing awkwardly in the entrance, no doubt looking for Drew ‘I’m too fabulous for words’ Curtis. When he couldn’t find him, he marched over to the first available table and sank into the chair, rubbing his temples gently with his half dirty fingers. Turning sharply around to face Anna and Cassie, I matched their looks of disgust.

“Is it just me,” I began, as I saw Drew enter the diner walk to the table from the corner of my eye, “But has he become even more arrogant, pig headed and conceited since Dalby left school?” Subtly I nodded in the direct of our mutual enemies – a feud that held its grass roots in primary school vendettas that had only escalated as we had become older, more manipulative and vindictive. Cassie and I had made sure that since day Ric and Drew decided to steal Anna’s bag and hide it in a tree in Year 7 that both boys had paid dearly for the mistake. Indeed, we had even gone so far as to sabotage dates for them – because revenge is a dish best served cold. Over and over. I was rewarded with grins from Anna and Cassie as they nodded in agreement.

“Its as if he has to act twice as bad now that his partner in crime has gone,” Anna threw out, as she pulled her red hair up into a pony-tail. “You know,” She continued, biting down trying not to laugh, “He probably has a couple of size complexes, if you know what I mean” She giggled innocently, although Cassie and I knew better.

I tipped my head while observing the smile that had formed on my friends face. Her dark red hair contrasted against her pale skin – and I smiled as I noticed the few freckles that were spread across her small nose. They were the only thing Anna claimed she’d change about herself. The one and only thing, she’d always stressed. She didn’t mind if she was smaller than everyone else. Less athletic than Cassie, less feisty than me. Her freckles were the one thing she could do without. Her loving, open personality, that always left her open for broken hearts, she wouldn’t change for the world. It was her mother’s final gift, she always said. Her mum had always encouraged us to be ourselves. And I think that with her death, Anna had taken this information on board with a new purpose. Its amazing, how life can do that to you, I mused, as Cassie’s voice broke my thoughs.

“Why Anna Banana,” Cassie said in between giggles, “Did you just make a funny?” Cassie grinned as she pulled up the diner menu, as if we didn’t already know it by heart. “What do you reckon is good today?” She asked, all the while keeping a straight face.

“Same as yesterday,” I responded, “And the day before, and the day before that. This place never changes, no matter how much I tell Irene that they should add some more ‘teenage worthy’ items to the menu,” I rolled my eyes, as Cassie and Anna giggled.

“Aww Belle,” Anna commented, “I like it how it is. The fact that it never changes, makes me happy that some things will stay the same,” She smiled, as Cassie replied “Aww,”

“You’re such a sucker for nostalgia Anna,” I replied, “The poor sod that pops your cherry, there will be a shrine dedicated to him, I’ll bet,” I joked, as she poked her tongue out at me.

“Well maybe I have to be nostalgic,” Anna bit back at me, “Because you’ve got more than enough cynicism to go around,”

“Snap,” Cassie laughed, as I pretended to glare at Anna momentarily, only to see the stuck up snobs who had crashed our drinks at the surf club earlier today, arrive in the diner’s small hallway, which diverted our attention quickly. Her eyes cast a glance over the diner quickly, before they landed on something.

Looking pleased with herself, she threw her shoulders back, her chest out, and strutted her way towards Ric and Drew. Her brother, however, took more than a moment to notice our presence in the back booth.

“If we lay low,” I whispered, slouching down in my seat, “then maybe he won’t…”

“Why hello ladies,” Blondie said, as he threw us what he obviously believed to be a smouldering smile. “And just what are we practising tonight?” He asked, nodding his head at our slouched positions.

“What not to do to keep your back in alignment,” I quipped at him, sitting up straight and sliding over in the booth, making it clear that there wasn’t any room for him.

Undeterred, his fixed his gaze upon us as he said deeply, “Well, in case your back is ever out of alignment, I’ve been known to give a good massage or two in my day,” He winked, as he moved backwards a little.

Raising an eyebrow, I threw a look at Cassie and Anna, replying “Is that so?”

He nodded, grinning a little, showing his perfectly straight and white teeth through a crack. “The girls at boarding school never complained. Nor did the women I met at various places,” His smooth voice replied, as I fought the urge to either roll my eyes or snort in disgust. Women he’d met various places? Give me a break, this kid wouldn’t know how to charm a woman if it hit him over the head.

“Thanks, but no thanks,” I replied finally, throwing Cassie a look of despair. “I think we’ve got it sorted.”

Once more, his blonde head was nodding before he looked at his watch. It too, was designer, I imagined. Where on earth did this kid come from, Paris?

“Well, as much as I would love to stay and chat,” He threw a grin towards Anna and Cassie, “My mother needs me at home. And I need to collect my dear sister too,” He nodded towards the table where Matilda, (was that her name?) was making Ric melt into a puddle at her feet. “He may need some napkins when she’s done,” Henry said, winking at us before sauntering away towards his sister.

“And I may need a gun to shoot you,” I groaned, as Anna gasped and Cassie snorted.

“Belle Taylor, you would never!” Anna said, her voice full of shock and surprise. “You’ve never threatened Ric or Drew with such violence before. What makes him so different?” She leant across the table, giving me the eye, as Cassie hmmed in the background.

“His smarminess rubs me the wrong way,” I shrugged, as he and his fake blonde, fake tanned sister deserted the diner. “And as for her, ugh, don’t even get me started on her faults,”

“But you’ve only met them for five seconds,” Anna defended, “And sure, she comes across as well, less intelligent than most, but he does seem rather witty,”

“Anna Banana,” Cassie pulled an arm around our friend. “You always like to see the best in people, rather than the worst, don’t you?”

Glowing a little pink, Anna looked away from Cass and I before answering. “Well it doesn’t really serve to be judgemental before you know people, does it now? Innocent till proven guilty, isn’t that what they say?” She continued, turning to glare at us a little.

Taken aback, I gave Cassie a quick look before opening my mouth. “Anna, you don’t think you could like that, thing, do you?” I asked a little incredulously.

The pink now turning into a dark red, Anna’s head dipped from my gaze and looked to her hands in her lap. Tearing my eyes from her, I looked to Cassie who was staring at Anna, her jaw open, her eyes wider than usual.

“ I don’t like him,” Anna began softly. “I’m intrigued by him. Is that so wrong?” Her timid face finally turned up to meet our eyes. “Let’s face it,” Her voice grew stronger. “because options in Summer Bay range from dropkick to limited, its either be interested in a smug blonde bastard, or in people like him,” She said, pointing inconspicuously to where Ric was sitting, now alone, his eyes glazed over as he stared into empty space. “Who would you rather I go after?” She asked finally, raising an eyebrow at Cassie and I.

Biting my lip, I tipped my head nonchalantly to glance sideways at Eric Dalby, still sitting in his Matilda induced haze. His dirty brown hair was pushed back off his face, his muscular arms streaked with oil from a hard days work. The white stained wife beater clung desperately to his toned body. Beats of sweat had formed in the early spring heat, and occasionally he would reach up behind his neck, pushing them away. Licking my lips unconsciously, I felt my hand twitching in my lap, almost aching to read out and touch…

“Earth to Belle!” Cassie screamed, waving her hand in front of my face.

“What? Huh?” I replied, my eyes snapping to hers instantly, my foggy brain clearing as I realised what I’d actually been doing.

Raising an eyebrow, Anna looked briskly from Ric to me, and then back again. “You weren’t just,” She paused, shaking her head to herself. “No, you couldn’t have been?”

“Couldn’t have been what?” Cassie asked in a suspicious tone.

“Perving on Dalby,” Anna whispered in a hushed tone, as I felt my face heat up.

“As if!” I retorted loudly, before clamping a hand over my mouth, my blush deepening. “I mean,” I said, my tone quieter, “I was just observing, seeing what that snob saw in him. I mean, she’d be used to other rich snobs, right? Why would she bother with any guy who has been home grown in Summer Bay?” I continued sarcastically, relieved when both Anna and Cassie nodded in agreement.

“Besides,” I finished finally, my eyes flicking over Dalby as he stood from his table and walked briskly out of the diner. “You know what they say, keep your friends close, and your enemies closer,” I smiled wickedly at Anna and Cassie, who looked a little shocked. “Know thy enemy.”

Another fab chapter, Jess. I really like the way you've got a great dynamic between the three girls. Anna fits in really well in that trio. Also loving the way you are writing, Henry. Seems to think he has a way with the ladies :rolleyes: Could Belle like Ric? Hmm ... can't wait to see who starts wanting who. :)

You know my thoughts but it never hurts to hear them again. :P You have the girl's friendship down really well and Anna is entirely realistic as an orginal character.

I swiveled in my seat to see Ric Dalby enter the diner, his grease stained overalls tied around his waist.

His dirty brown hair was pushed back off his face, his muscular arms streaked with oil from a hard days work. The white stained wife beater clung desperately to his toned body. Beats of sweat had formed in the early spring heat, and occasionally he would reach up behind his neck, pushing them away. Licking my lips unconsciously, I felt my hand twitching in my lap, almost aching to read out and touch…

Superb description, really evocative, especially the last bit. I could really see why Belle would find Ric attractive.

Subtly I nodded in the direct of our mutual enemies – a feud that held its grass roots in primary school vendettas that had only escalated as we had become older, more manipulative and vindictive. Cassie and I had made sure that since day Ric and Drew decided to steal Anna’s bag and hide it in a tree in Year 7 that both boys had paid dearly for the mistake. Indeed, we had even gone so far as to sabotage dates for them – because revenge is a dish best served cold. Over and over.

Great explanation :)

Some great dialogue, really realistic. I especially loved:

“The poor sod that pops your cherry, there will be a shrine dedicated to him, I’ll bet,”

Great chapter Jess!

Archived