Mitchitt

Guest loulou170388

I am speculating here but i think the reason the age of Mattie's baby was changed cos Ric's not the father. I hope he is cos they make a fab couple and want them to get married and have kids!!

Don't shoot me if i was right..i am guessing!!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your lovely comments guys :) - Hope you enjoy the next chapter

:D

Chapter two – The Darkness within

“Ric, she’s crying again” Mattie said. It was 3am and she was exhausted. Grace had woken them up 5 times already to be fed.

“I knew this was why I shouldn’t have breastfed” Mattie said throwing the duvet off for the sixth time and walking into Grace’s room.

“Time for another feed angel” she cooed wearily as she sat down in the rocking chair beside the crib.

“Can I get you anything?” Ric said coming up behind Mattie and kissing her neck.

“Sleep?” she suggested.

“Look, she’s gone back to sleep already” Ric whispered. “Put her back in her crib and come back to bed”.

Mattie looked doubtful but thought she would try it. To her relief Grace stayed sleeping as they crept back to their own room.

“I love you” Ric said as they climbed into bed.

“You too” she said sleepily as she pulled the duvet over her. She snuggled up close to Ric who put his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

They both soon drifted off into a light sleep, unconsciously pleased Grace had allowed them a few hours respite from their nightly routine.

“There’s your Mummy, Yes she is” Ric cooed at Grace as he carried her out into the garden where Mattie was enjoying some Brekkie.

“I’m heading over to Tash and Rob’s this morning for a play date with Mac and Tash and the kids”.

“I heard a rumour” Ric laughed as he sat down with Grace “I think I’ll head over to Sal’s” Ric said sitting down next to Mattie.

He leaned over and gave her a kiss.

“How about Grace Stays over at Sal and Brad’s tonight? Give us some time alone?” Ric suggested raising an eyebrow at her, a grin on his face.

“Ric” Mattie laughed. “I’m breatfeeding! Plus I’m going to be late for Tasha’s if I don’t get a move on” Mattie said taking Grace from Ric and heading inside.

“I think that’s answered that” Ric said to himself as he enjoyed the morning sun.

“Sorry we’re late” Mattie said appearing at Tasha’s back door.

“Hey Mattie, no probs, I know what it’s like with a new baby, things always take twice as long as you’d expect”.

“Yeah” Mattie smiled putting Grace’s carrier onto the floor and sitting down.

“Tea? Coffee?” Martha called from the kitchen.

“Can’t have caffine – breastfeeding” Mattie sighed.

“Ah the joys of breastfeeding” Martha laughed as she handed Mattie and O.J.

“Where are the kids?” Mattie asked, surprised by the quiet.

“In the garden digging up worms” Tasha said smiling.

“That will be Grace in no time!” She said.

As Martha and Tasha chatted, Mattie sat and listened. Grace was sleeping and she was enjoying the calm of being around others.

“Your very quiet” Martha commented, eyeing Mattie suspiciously.

“Just enjoying the peace and quiet – there’s not much of that at our house” Mattie said

Tasha gave Martha a ‘do you see what I mean’ look.

“Sleepless nights taking their toll?”

“Just a bit” Mattie said rubbing her eyes.

“Hope I’m not interrupting this Mother’s meeting” Robbie said coming in from the garden.

“Why are you covered in dirt?” Tasha asked, laughing at his appearance.

“Ask Ella” Robbie said pointing behind him.

“You do know you’re meant to be the adult Rob. As in, to stop these situations!” Mattie reminded helpfully.

“I am aware of that Sis. I’m trying that new age parenting. You know – become the kid to understand them better and the like”.

“Right” Mattie said as the three girls smirked at each other.

“Whatever you say Rob, whatever you say” Martha said patting his shoulder as she made her way out to the garden.

Chapter 3 – A helping hand

“Mum, can I go round to Ric’s later? I haven’t seen baby Grace all week” Pippa asked as she pulled endless pieces of unfinished work from her bag.

“Looks like you have got a lot of homework there young lady” Brad observed as he walked through the door, dumping his briefcase onto the floor.

“Dad, I was just asking mum if I can go and see baby Grace later. Can i? Please?” She flashed him an angelic smile and hugged him tightly.

“ If Mum agrees, I can’t see a reason why you can’t” he said, kissing his wife.

“I can see about 4 reasons why not lying on the table” Sally laughed as she put the basket of washing on a chair.

“I’ll do my homework, then can I go? Pleasee?” Pippa said, practically begging her parents.

“I’ll drop you round after dinner” Brad agreed, going upstairs to get changed.

“Guess who’s coming to stay?” Mattie beamed, phone still in her hand.

“Cassie” She smiled, hardly able to contain her excitement.

“I thought I had to guess” Ric said, sounding disappointed. “Still though, Sounds great. We haven’t seen her in so long, when’s she coming?” Ric asked, rocking Grace in his arms.

“Tomorrow morning. I’ll have to get the guest bedroom ready, no-one’s used it in such a long time” she said dancing off into the kitchen.

“Does she not have work commitments?” Ric asked. He always thought of the practical questions.

“Not that she mentioned” Mattie said looking at Grace.

“Is she hungry? I can’t remember when she was last fed” she said checking the clock.

“Maybe we should start giving her bottles too?” Ric suggested, knowing broaching the subject with Mattie may not have been the wised idea. “Then at least I could feed her and so could anyone babysitting. We could buy powdered milk or use of those breast pumps” He said grinning at her.

“Sure. We’ll go up to Yabbe Creek early tomorrow? I want to get some stuff for Cassie coming too. Plus I think we’ll need more nappies for Grace by the morning!”.

Ric was surprised by Mattie’s eagerness. She had been so against bottles when Grace was first born, this change of heart pleased Ric. It had saddened him that he not been able to feed his daughter once since she was born. At least now Mattie could have a break from her ongoing duty.

“So she’s coming to stay with you tomorrow?” Pippa confirmed as she helped Mattie bath Grace. Mattie noted a hint of sadness in her voice.

“You looking forward to seeing her?” Mattie asked.

“Course. She’s my big sister” Pippa said handing Mattie a towel.

“You don’t sound very happy?” Mattie questioned her.

“No, no I am!” Pippa said, worried Mattie thought she didn’t care about seeing Cassie.

“Is there a but coming?” Mattie asked as she lay Grace on the changing table.

“Why didn’t she ring Mum and Dad? She could have stayed with us” Pippa said feeling disappointed.

“She said she was going to surprise them and you tomorrow when you got home from school” Mattie assured Pippa. “It would have stayed a surprise too if your Daddy hadn’t of spoilt it”. Mattie said kissing Grace’s foot.

“Why does everyone talk to their babies in that baby voice?” Pippa chuckled.

“I think it’s a reflex. We just can’t help it” Mattie said.

“Just can’t help what?” Ric said, appearing at the door.

“Talking in a funny voice to Grace” Mattie laughed.

“Ah yeah. The baby voice” Ric said as he raised his eyebrow. “Come on squirt. I’ll walk you home” he said, ruffling Pippa’s hair.

“Ric!!!” she giggled. “I’m not a baby and I only just straightened that!” she said indignantly.

“I’ll see you tomorrow” she said giving Mattie a hug and kissing Grace.

As they walked home along the beach, the sky was getting dark and the waves were glistening in the moon light.

“If you moved away, you’d still keep in touch wouldn’t you?” Pippa said quietly.

“Course we would Pip, but we’re not moving away. We all love it here and couldn’t think of a better place for Grace to grow up”. He put his arm round her.

“You’re a funny thing Pip. Why’d you ask?”

“When you told me about Cassie coming to visit it reminded me we hardly see her any more. I miss her”.

“Course you do. She’s your big sis”.

“And you’re my big brother” she said hugging him tightly as she reached her front door.

“Always will be” he laughed as he made his way down the drive.

A family forever.

Archived