Love At First Sight

Guest HeavenForbid

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 8

Martha got home at 11pm. She opened the door. Sally and Brad were watching TV while Cassie was in the kitchen. Martha walked into the kitchen and got a drink.

“Martha, you ok?” Sally asked

“Yes, just tired that is all” Martha smiled

“Ok, we are going to go to bed now. So, see you tomorrow” Sally replied and left the room along with Brad

“How did the thing with the beach go today?” Martha asked

“Yes, grand. Oh, Jack Holden rang for you” Cassie smiled

“Oh, what was he saying?” Martha smirked

“Just said call him back” Cassie replied “What is up with you guys anyways? Dating?”

“Nope” Martha smiled “But, we are going to dinner tomorrow night”

“Oh, very nice. Well, I am so tired. I will talk to you in the morning.” Cassie said and left the room

“Night.” Martha answered and sat down on the sofa. After a while, she headed up to back. She walked into the bedroom, grabbed her pyjamas’ and then got changed in the bathroom. Martha lay her head on the pillow and fell asleep instantly.

Martha heard a noise. She turned her head and saw that her phone was ringing. She picked it up.

“Hello” she said sleepily

“Hi Martha. It is Jack here”

“Oh, Heya. I heard you tried to call me last night” Martha replied

“Yes, I wanted to ask you a question actually” jack answered

“Oh, really. What about?” Martha asked

“Well, just an idea. I was thinking that you may need your independence. So I was wondering since we are good friends and all, would you like to move in with me?” Jack asked

“Are you serious, Jack? You want me to move in with you?” Martha smiled

“Yes, I do.” Jack replied

“I would love too!” Martha smiled

“Great come around later on then” Jack said

“Martha! Martha! Martha!”

“Ok, I better go. Someone is calling me” Martha said and hung up.

Cassie was standing over Martha. She was trying to wake her up.

“Martha!” Cassie called again

Martha woke up. It was only a dream.

“Yeah?” Martha replied

“Jack is here. He says he needs to talk to you” Cassie smiled

“Ok. Tell me I will be down in like 10 minutes.” Martha said “I will just get dressed”

Cassie walked down the stairs and into the living area. Jack was sitting down

“She will be here in a few minutes. She is just getting dressed” Cassie said

“Ok, cool” Jack smiled

“So, what is up with you guys anyways?” Cassie laughed

“Nothing. Just friends” Jack smiled

“Yeah, right. What friends go to dinner at night?” smirked Cassie

At that moment, Martha walked into the room

“Hey Jack” Martha said

“I got to go” Cassie said and walked out the door.

“So, what is up then?” Martha asked

“I wanted to talk to you are tonight actually” Jack said

“Ok, cool.” Martha smiled

“I have to cancel and to be honest I really don’t know whe I will be free for dinner. I am so busy at work at the moment” Jack said

“Oh. Well, work has to come first, I guess” Martha said

“I don’t want it to be this way but I really don’t have a choice. My boss called me there about 20 minutes ago and said that a new case has come up and they need me, Martha I am so sorry.” Jack said sadly

“Jack, it is ok. Seriously. When we both get the chance, we can go out” Martha smiled

“Ok, well. I better go then.” Jack said and left the house.

Cassie came back into the house

“I saw Jack leave then. Is everything ok?” she asked

“Yes. Everything is great. I am going to have a shower” Martha said and went upstairs. She got into the shower and when she got out, there were 2 missed calls. They were from Ricky. She called him back

“I need you to work tonight” Ricky said

“Ok, great. Name the time and place” Martha said

“Oh! Have we changed our mind? Want to get back into it?” Ricky laughed

“No! But I have nothing better to do tonight” Martha replied

“Great. Same time, same place and same room” Ricky said and hung up.

Jack arrived at the police station. All the officers were ready and waiting for the meeting to begin. Jack took a seat.

“Well, we have discovered a prostitution ring working in the city and here.” McGrath said

“How many workers?” an officer asked

“In the city, around 15 but here there is only 2. So that means it will be hard to track them down.” McGrath replied

“What about the pimp? Have a name?” Jack asked

“No. Not yet. However, a girl came into the station about 2 months ago saying that she was working as a prostitute in the city. She was to escape but her pimp wouldn’t let her leave. When she did, he raped her. She was going to press changes but went into hiding. She let it slip that she was working for the main pimp in the city. Now, I don’t know if this is who we are looking for, but we really need to get in contact with that girl. She may be able to tell us more” McGrath

“So, this means, that everyone will be working tonight.” Lara said

Everyone stood up.

“Remember guys! This is top secret. Who knows who we will be talking to. You and anyone of us may talk to one of the girls and not know. So this has to remain a secret.” McGrath replied

Chapter 9

“Where is Jack?” McGrath asked

It was 4am. Jack was supposed to be looking up information on the girl that they were trying to track down. All police records had been lost. Instead, he was asleep on the desk in his office. McGrath opened the office door, walked in and shouted at Jack to wake up. Jack jumped with the fright.

“Get back to work!” McGrath snapped

“Sorry sir” Jack answered while he rubbed him eyes.

Jack continued to look up old records. He couldn’t find anything. It would be really helpful if someone would be able to find the files for the pervious case. Jack went though every file, record, evidence that was in the station 2 months ago but nothing. At 6am, McGrath let all the officers go home and get some rest. They have to be back in at 4pm that afternoon. Jack went home and went to bed.

Martha woke up, got dressed and went down stairs for breakfast. She seemed quiet and everyone noticed this.

“Martha, are you ok today?” Sally asked

“Yeah, I am grand” Martha smiled

“Ok, well we are all going into the city today. Would you like to come?” Sally asked

“I can’t. Sorry. I really want to do a few things around here” Martha answered

“Like what?” Brad asked

“Oh, I want to look into getting a place to stay” Martha replied

“You can stay with us as along as you like!” Alf said

“I know granddad, but I am a big girl now. I really want to move out and be independent” Martha responded

“Well, I understand where you are coming from. So you do it if you feel it is right” Sally smiled “Come on, Pippa. Let’s go and get dressed”

Pippa and Sally walked out of the kitchen, while Alf, Martha and Cassie cleaned up after breakfast. Ric came down the stairs

“Did I miss breakfast?” Ric asked

“Yes, you did!” Alf shouted

“Granddad please” Ric moaned putting his hands on his head

“Hung-over again, I see” Martha laughed

“Any paracetamol?” Ric asked

“Here” Cassie said giving him two tablets and a glass of water

“Thanks” Ric replied and swallowed him and headed back to bed

Martha walked into the diner, got a coffee and sat down to look at properties in the paper. Jack walked in. He also got a coffee and walked over to Martha.

“Hey, can I sit here?” Jack asked

“No, go away” Martha joked. “Sure” she smiled

“Thanks. So how are you today?” Martha asked

“So tired! Boss kept us all in until 6 this morning. And I am back in at 4.” Jack moaned

“Good then I see” Martha laughed

“Yes!” Jack laughed. He looked at the paper and asked “What you looking at?”

“Oh, a place to live” Martha answered

“Why? What about Sally’s?” Jack asked

“Well, I want a place on my own” Martha replied

“I can understand that” Jack answered

“These places are all way to over priced. I mean, how I am meant to afford $2300 per month!” Martha complained

“Maybe you should be looking at houses with fitted spa’s and swimming pools” laughed Jack

“Oh” Martha replied feeling stupid

“I have an idea. . . Why not move in with me. My house has everything. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms.” Jack asked

“I don’t know, Jack” Martha said

“Why not? We are friends, right” Jack said

“Well, yeah we are but. - ”

“But what? I don’t see a problem” Jack said

“Ok, then” Martha smiled.

“Great. I will get the key cut and you can move in whenever!” Jack smiled

“Great.” Martha replied

“I will go now and meet you back here in 20 minutes” Jack said and left

Martha’s phone began to ring.

“Hello” Martha said

“Meet me on the beach in 10 minutes”

It was Ricky. Martha put her phone in her bag and walked down to the beach. She waited until he arrived. He walked down to her

“What’s up?” Martha asked

“They are on to us!” Ricky said annoyed

“What? Who? What are you on about?” Martha asked

“The police! They are on to us, Martha” Ricky yelled

“Ssshhh!” Martha said

“Well, you will have to be more careful from now on.” Ricky said

“Meaning, you still want me to do it?” Martha said

“Yes!” Ricky replied

Jack arrived back at the diner. He couldn’t see Martha

“Colleen, have you seen Martha?” he asked

“She left about 10 minutes ago” Colleen answered

“Ok, thanks” Jack smiled

Jack walked out to the beach. He looked around and stopped Martha with Ricky. They were having a fight. Jack was wondering who the guy was. Martha noticed Jack. Ricky ran down the beach in hope that Jack hadn’t seen his face as it was only a matter of time before he was caught. Martha walked up to Jack and smiled.

“Who was that?” Jack asked

“Oh, some guy looking for directions” Martha lied

“Ok, here is the key. I have to go to work but I will be back later on” Jack said

“Thanks Jack.” Martha smiled

Jack got into the car and drove to the station. He walked in.

“We have had a break thought!” someone shouted

“What about?” Jack asked

“We have found the girl that came into us. She is sitting in your office” McGrath answered

Jack walked in and got the shock of his life. It was Kerry Williams. The women he was having an affair with in the city

Chapter 10

“Kerry?” Jack replied stunned

“Jack. . What are you doing here?” Kerry said standing up

“I work here now. You were a prostitute?” Jack asked

“Yes, I was. I am young Jack and married to a man that doesn’t love me.” Kerry answered

“That is no excuse, Kerry.” Jack said

“Well, I was called down here to try and help you with your case. That is what I am going to do then head back to Bryan” Kerry replied and sat down

“Does he know?” Jack asked looking for the files

“No, and he must never find out, Jack. Please” Kerry begged

“Ok, let’s get started then” Jack smiled and sat down

Martha was in her bedroom packing her things when Cassie walked into the room.

“Where you going?” Cassie asked

“I am moving in with Jack” Martha smirked

“Well, don’t you guys move fast!” laughed Cassie

“It is not like that. We are not dating.” Martha replied

“Ok, well does Sal know yet?” Cassie asked

“Nope, but she did know that I was looking for a place” Martha answered back

“And you are sure she is alright with this?” Cassie asked

“Yes, Cassie. I am a woman now. 24 years old. I have to get out of this house. It is ok for you to stay here as your are only 18” Martha said, zipped up the suitcase and headed for the bedroom door

“So does Jack know all about your secret past in the city?” Cassie asked

Martha stopped walking. She turned around

“No, he doesn’t and he is not going to find out” Martha said

“Oh, yes. Of course, you have quit haven’t you” Cassie replied

“What do you mean by that?” Martha asked

“Ricky called here today. Looking for you. Here are the details.” Cassie said handing Martha a piece of paper

“Cassie -”

“Don’t even bother, Martha. You have really screwed up this time!” Cassie answered annoyed “I just hope you know that this is a hard world to get out of and it is only a matter of time before you are found out, now that you are living with a cop”

Martha paused. Would she be able to go through with the move after all? She wanted her own place but this would be hard if she was going to with living with Jack and have to keep her job a secret from him. She knew what she had to do. She had to talk to Ricky. She dialled his phone.

“Martha, hello. What is the problem?” Ricky asked

“We need to talk, big time” Martha replied “Meet me at the cliffs in 20 minutes”

“Why? I am kind of busy right now, Martha.” Ricky answered

“This is more important.” Martha said

Ricky hesitated for a second and replied “Fine, I will be there”

Martha hung up the phone. She looked at Cassie who was smiling

“I hope you make the right decision, Martha” she said

“I think I am” Martha smiled

“You better go, I will talk to you later then” Cassie said

“Yes. Oh if Jack calls and asks where I am, tell him to ring me” Martha said and walked out the door

Jack was finished with Kerry. They walked out of the office together.

“Where are you going now?” Jack asked

“Back to the city. Back to my life with Bryan.” Kerry replied

“Why not stay here for a while?” Jack asked

“Why Jack. You made it clear that we were over when you never replied to my message that day.” Kerry answered

“I don’t mean for us to have a relationship, Kerry. I mean for us to have a friendship and for you to have the life you deserve. You are 24 years old and married to a man that doesn’t know you. I know you better than anyone” Jack responded

“I want to but I cant. Listen I have to go. Bryan will be wondering where I am.” Kerry said

They walked out to car. Jack looked at Kerry. They hugged.

“You seem to have a good life here. Enjoy it” Kerry replied and kissed Jack on the lips

Jack didn’t pull away. Why did the kiss feel so right, when Jack have strong feelings for Martha? Just as they kissed Martha drove past them and saw them kissing. She was heartbroken. She was going to go and tell Ricky that she wasn’t working for him any longer. Now, she was confused. She liked Jack and really wanted to move in with him but didn’t know how she could if he was going around kissing other girls.

Archived