Article: Renovators called in to Ramsay Street

Guest Si-Co

The only change I've liked about Neighbours so far is the music they play at the beginning during the recaps. It's different every time, but it suits the story they're recaping. Unlike how they always used to play the Neighbours them over it. I wish Home and Away did that unlike playing the same music over and over again, the way Neighbours do it has effect on the epiosde. That's one good thing I like about Neighbours now :P

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They seem to be dropping quite a few hints at set renovations and things recently...such as Steph organising a name change of the bar and having a quote of renovations...and Harold talking about planting some new trees in his garden....etc

I like how they change the recap music, I can’t even remember what it sounded like before...but it never flows into the credits so it seams bit messy...maybe they will organise it better.

I hate the General store too – it's cramped, too busy, there is no longer a realistc place for people of all ages to hang out like the Coffee Shop had...I don’t like how the lighting is so yellow and fake, but that’s near enough every set.

I just think they totally ruined the Lassisters complex, they made it appear really small, cheap and so unrealistic. It was fine the way it was, ‘if it aint broke, don’t fix it’ as they say… they should try and bring back the ‘pond’ with the bridge, at the moment it just looks like a paddling pool in the middle of a strange looking group of cardboard buildings.

At first I hated the Scarlet Bar set, but its grown on me…I do miss the relaxed pub feel the old Waterhole/Lou’s Place had though. I think in renovating all those sets and locations in 2005 did a lot of damage to the show, they completely took away from what the original Neighbours feel was about.

The General Store is completely bland and it doesn't help that they stopped playing music in there which made the Coffee Shop a little more realistic. It doesn't really bear any resemblance to any location you'd find in real life.

The Scarlet Bar does nothing for me either. It's so dark and cramped and poorly thought out. I hope they give it a little more warmth with the revamp and part of me hopes Steph picks out "The Waterhole" for the name to root it in a bit of familiarity.

As far as Lassiters is concerned, the outside set doesn't bother me as much as it did now the plants have grown out a little. Apparently the old buildings were full of asbestos and the bridge was rotting which is why they decided to just completely gut so much of it. That said, they could have been a little less drastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it during the break for Dr Phil and the new series of The Simpsons. I noticed they tried to fit in as many ‘famous faces’ such as Alan Dale, Russel Crowe (even though he was only a bit-part), Delta…etc as they could. It would have been nice to have added Anne Haddy, seen as though she was basically the backbone of the show until she left. But I do like it! :D

Archived