Fueled for Love

Guest Jen

Yes, I know it's been a while since updates, but I'm hoping you'll forgive me with this chapter. Not long to go now!

Thanks for sticking with me for so long. Please remember to read and review. Comments = love!

Chapter 21 – Dawn’s A New Day

I walked slowly away from the bustling room. I looked back to see two ambulance officers enter with a trolley and cops continually flow in and out of the room. God! What had happened? The whole thing was now a blur but at the time it had seemed more than real. Dad was walking with me, our footsteps leading us down the hallway towards the outside. There was a buzzing and cracking as he picked up noise from his two-way radio.

“Yeah, they’re okay,” he said into it.

Okay - such an unambiguous description. How about terrified? Relieved? Cold? Nothing could describe how I felt. Maybe that’s because I’m not entirely sure myself right now. The door was just ahead. I looked over my shoulder and saw Matilda and Lucas walking either side of Jack. None of them were saying a word. Behind them was Cass, holding tightly onto Sally’s hand and whispering quietly to each other.

There was light seeping in under the crack of the door. It must nearly be morning. Dad heaved the door open in front me. I had to shield my eyes from the bright light. I looked out and saw a crowd of heads in front of us. The sun rising behind them shot light around like halos, they looked like angels. Maybe this was all just a dream.

“Mum!”

There was a cry behind me and suddenly Mattie had pushed passed and was in the arms of Beth. She cradled her softly, rocking backwards and forwards repeating, “I love you,” over and over to her daughter.

“Oh, Lucas.”

Tony stepped forward and grabbed hold of his son. He pulled him tightly and then reached out for his other son and bundled him under his other arm.

Beside me, Cassie was still standing. She still hadn’t said a word to me since this had begun.

I saw Ric slip through the crowd towards the front. He stood there for a moment and they both stared, not saying a word. Then she held out her arms and he held her. My heart fell. But what had I expected? Nothing had changed. No, I was wrong. Everything had changed, made me realise what was important. Made Cassie realise where her heart really was.

“I’m sorry,” I heard her say.

“Me too,” Ric replied and he kissed her.

I could have stared, watching them forever but Dan bounded towards me and gathered me in his arms.

“Don’t you ever do that again,” Leah said in a firm tone, but she was smiling.

I pulled away from Dan and pushed him away.

“Don’t get too mushy,” I said and stepped back.

“Sorry,” Dan apologised.

There was an awkward pause and Dan shifted from one foot to the other.

“Look,” he began, “if I had known what was going on…”

“It’s fine,” I cut in.

Dan’s face fell.

“I’m sorry,” I continued.

The stern look washed away, relief stepped in and Dan smiled.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A/N: This is the last formal chapter of this fic. Thanks to Tess for proofing again and to everyone who's read this. :) Hope you like. Ready? Ok, here goes...

Chapter 22 – Out of Reach

I was standing, feet firmly on the ground. I could feel the small grains of sand between my toes. There was a warm breeze that tossed my hair around, like it was batting it to and fro. It had been a month now since it had happened. It was one of those experiences people talk about which change you. You share a common bond with someone, well, in our case; it was all four of us, as something we had gone through together.

Things were supposed to go back to normal and for almost everyone it did. Mattie and Lucas were stronger than ever. This had bound them together. It felt good to know that they had made it through. I waved as I saw them stroll past me hand in hand. They waved back and then went back to talking to each other.

“Hey Cass!”

I turned, and there he was, his hair blowing about in the breeze. He had waited.

I picked up my thongs that I had dropped beside me and jogged up to meet him. He threw his arms around me and lifted me off the sand. I kicked my legs and squealed. I knew he liked that.

He placed me gently down and moved his arms from around my waist to around my neck. He smiled. It was a warm smile, inviting. He knew what I wanted. I didn’t need to be asked twice. I lent in and felt his warm lips brush against mine. We were together. That night had changed us both. Made us realise what was important, and that was us.

I slowly pulled away and smiled. I pulled my arms tightly around him and rested my chin on his shoulder. I closed my eyes. Even though it was a perfect summer day I felt cold. The nightmares were fading but it still seemed so real. Diesel had wanted love, a love that wasn’t returned and this ultimately drove him to his end. What kind of life was that, waiting for something that would never come? I wasn’t waiting, not any more. He was here right now.

I opened my eyes and looked up. I saw the painted walls of the Surf Club and a dark figure standing nearby. I didn’t have to be closer to know who it was. With his scruffy hair, baggy jeans, he was just as I had left him. This was the one thing that couldn’t go back to normal. Too much had happened for that. He was staring at me. I knew it. Watching me, us, together.

I couldn’t stand the thought of him all alone up there, just watching. I lifted my head and faced my choice. When the doors had opened and I saw him standing in front of me, there was no choice. When Ric had taken me in him arms, it felt so right, where before it felt like a duty. We were together now because we both wanted to be.

I took hold of Ric’s hand and wandered along the sandy path towards the Surf Club.

“You feel like a juice?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I replied.

I looked over and saw Drew, still standing there. Hands in his pockets and blank expression on his face.

“Just give me a minute,” I said to Ric and I stopped walking.

“Ok,” he replied and let go of my hand and wandered away.

I took a deep breath and walked over to the wooden railing where Drew was standing. He glanced over when he saw me arrive.

“How are you?” I thought it was a safe place to start.

I all I got was a grunt in reply.

“I still want to be friends.” There, I had taken the plunge.

He turned his head and looked at me.

“You chose him. There’s no in between,” he said.

“That doesn’t mean I stopped caring.”

I looked down and saw his hand wander awfully close to mine. I quickly pulled it back and Drew said,

“What about us?”

“I’m with Ric,” I replied, “There is no us.”

“Didn’t that night mean anything to you?” he stared at me, through my eyes.

His penetrating dark eyes were captivating. I quickly blinked and avoided eye contact. Look anywhere else. His hair. His dark, curly locks were blustering about in the breeze, just like they had on the day this had all begun. We’d ended up in the cupboard. Suddenly I felt flustered, it was happening again. I took a deep breath,

“I’m sorry,” I said turning quickly and walking away.

There was no sound apart from the breeze whistling past.

I knew I shouldn’t, but I looked back. He was still standing there. No smile, nothing. My stomach tightened, but I kept on walking.

Comments

Archived