Too many contests?

Guest Skykat

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hate to see alot of them closed or even rotated,I like taking part in them weekly..Once I have finished one another contest starting up again and me making another..

One on One and LIMs have rounds and they last along time and if you are out at the start,or the 2nd round,you are waiting weeks until you can take part again..Although I do like those contests,I never get far..So you do need a few normaly weekly contests inbetween.

Nothing has been decided yet. Nor is anything likely to happen for a while. Change takes time and if we do make any with regards to closing contests we'll post a thread warning you about it and allow current contests to run first so theres no worries on that score. :P

The idea of this thread is just to get a general feeling of what people think about the contests. Sub forums unfortunately are not in a moderators line of duties and the admin are very busy, plus at the moment with the criticism we're getting for having too many sub forums it'll probably take time to get a decision on that.

Lets say the answer to that is no, I'm not saying it is but if it were what other options would people be happy with? Are the vast majority against closing the animal etc contests or would people agree with that? Are people against running them concequitively or a few at a time, in general? I'm just interested to hear what other potential solutions people can think of and the extent to which it is a problem.

I don't think contests should be running at different time, like one in a few weeks because a lot of people do take part in them and it is one thing which is very popular. I take part in nearly all of them, every time they are put up so I obviously think that none should be closed down or changed. However, I did make the animal contest, so I am going to think it should't be closed down, but yes, it could be merged with other contests except it will be done once and then will be forgotten. Same with the cartoon contest.

The cartoon and animal contest are getting a few entries and are still popular, so I think they should stay. But, I think it would have been better for this have to be discussed in both threads when they started, because now they are all started up and it wouldn't be nice to see them go right in the middle of it.

The cartoon and animal contest are getting a few entries and are still popular, so I think they should stay. But, I think it would have been better for this have to be discussed in both threads when they started, because now they are all started up and it wouldn't be nice to see them go right in the middle of it.

But they wouldnt go, because Cartoons and Animals could be in rounds of Av, LIMS or 1on1.

I take part in quite a few different contests and would be disappointed if some were to close or blend into others..I like them because there is always a few different ones to keep you busy a week..

I think if each one has a edge to it,which makes it different to others then it is good to keep them seperate and aslong as they get a fair amount of entries each round then people are obviously enjoying taking part.

But they wouldnt go, because Cartoons and Animals could be in rounds of Av, LIMS or 1on1.

Yes, but they wouldn't be for every single round, would they? It would be once and then there will be no more.

I think if we aren't careful then there will be a complete burn out on contests, sub forum or no subforum if new contests keep getting encouraged by a handful of people they will go ahead and get out of control, no one in particular is to blame... I think that, as I said before, if a new contest is suggested it should reach certain requirements before going ahead - perhaps 10 supporting members and a supporting mod, and it must be something different, it could maybe be then trialled for a round and then people give their opinions as to whether it should go ahead 'full time' or not.

I also think that if, overtime it does not become sucessful then the person who 'invented' it has the right to suggest it shut down (and perhaps needs to be the one to recognise it as others may be too polite to say anything).

I don't think a subforum is completely necessary, although it would neaten things up, if a certain element of control is excercised the other threads will not get lost in a sea of pointless contests. I don't like to keep bringing the cartoon contest up but I expressed my concern about the necessity of it in the discussion thread, and I'm not saying that because of one person's opinion it shouldn't have gone ahead but maybe if someone has a concern a minus point could be taken away with positive posts counting as points until the comp has a total of 10 and is allowed to go ahead. Perhaps that's a little complicated, just trying out some ideas :)

I think if we aren't careful then there will be a complete burn out on contests, sub forum or no subforum if new contests keep getting encouraged by a handful of people they will go ahead and get out of control, no one in particular is to blame... I think that, as I said before, if a new contest is suggested it should reach certain requirements before going ahead - perhaps 10 supporting members and a supporting mod, and it must be something different, it could maybe be then trialled for a round and then people give their opinions as to whether it should go ahead 'full time' or not.

I also think that if, overtime it does not become sucessful then the person who 'invented' it has the right to suggest it shut down (and perhaps needs to be the one to recognise it as others may be too polite to say anything).

I don't think a subforum is completely necessary, although it would neaten things up, if a certain element of control is excercised the other threads will not get lost in a sea of pointless contests. I don't like to keep bringing the cartoon contest up but I expressed my concern about the necessity of it in the discussion thread, and I'm not saying that because of one person's opinion it shouldn't have gone ahead but maybe if someone has a concern a minus point could be taken away with positive posts counting as points until the comp has a total of 10 and is allowed to go ahead. Perhaps that's a little complicated, just trying out some ideas :)

I have to admit I'm with you on this one. I don't necessarily see the need for a subforum. I know a lot of people like the contests and like entering them but I just feel that if the contests keep arising the way they are now people will start to get fed up and lose interest altogether. I'd be happy with the idea you suggested of contests having to meet certain criteria and get approval, that'd work for me though I have a feeling the majority of members don't want that.

Charlotte, with regards to the contests being shut half way through, I've already said no contests will be shutting until they've run their course and not without due notice to those involved.

I don't really have a problem with the contests at the moment, however I think separating them out into topics is a bit dubious. I understand that not every round of LIMS or the Av Contest will be animals or cartoons but how long can they keep running before there is nothing left? I don't have anything against the contests or whoever came up with the idea for them, because they are obviously popular, but maybe if there needs to be a reduction in numbers those ones could be compensated for by having rounds of those topics within the other contests.

I think as Katie suggested, if there is some sort of minimum requirement for a contest to begin then everything should be ok. At this stage I'm not sure whether a subforum is needed, but it would stop the artwork threads getting lost ...

I only enter a couple, so I'm not really fussed about what is happening with the others. I'm not sure whether that's a good attitude or not!

Archived