London 2012

Guest Frankie

Plus I thought 2019 was when we're all going to die?

I thought it was 12/12/12... I've been wrong about this sort of thing before though :unsure:

Satan didn't show up for 6/6/6, and it's looking doubtful that Jesus is gonna come back this July....

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, it's absolutely rubbish. Why did they have to design it like a three, no, two year olds painted it!

All my friends agree with me, and most of you guys agree and the other 20,000 that signed that petition seem to agree, so why the hell haven't they changed it???

They should either scrap it or alter it in some way so it looks more appealing.

What is up with these people?

Have they no sense of design?

Apparently not.

:P

I hate it too.. and it seems we're not alone!

Thousands want London 2012 logo scrapped

An online petition calling for the "ridiculous" new logo for the London 2012 Olympics to be scrapped has attracted more than 40,000 signatures so far.

The petition, created by Jonathan Ellis, says the new bold, jagged £400,000 logo for the 2012 Games is "ridiculous" and should be ditched as quickly as possible.

"A new logo has been unveiled for the London 2012 Olympics. I feel it is an embarrassment and portrays our country in the worst possible way," he wrote.

"The original London 2012 logo was better by far. We need a new logo now, or at least a return to the old one.

"I should add I am proud and excited about the Olympics coming to London, and the UK, and it is for that very reason we need to get this terrible logo dropped as soon as possible."

The 40,081 signatures recorded on the petition by 1pm on Wednesday come after animated footage promoting the London 2012 Olympics was removed from its official website amid claims that it could trigger epileptic seizures.

Allegations were made that footage involving a diver plunging into a pool had already caused seizures.

In response to the concerns, a London 2012 spokeswoman said on Tuesday night: "We were made aware of concerns about a five-second piece of animated footage we used at the launch of the new London 2012 brand on Monday, June 4.

"This footage - a short animated sequence based around a diver diving into a pool - contained flashing and moving multi-coloured images. We took immediate steps to remove the animation from our website while checks are being conducted."

The spokeswoman said the concerns raised did not relate to the new 2012 Olympics logo unveiled on Monday but to promotional footage used in the launch.

As someone pointed out on the BBC site, it looks a little like Lisa Simpson kneeling down and doing something rude to Bart....

Other than that, I hate it :P

I read that on TV Forum (minus the Bart) and since then, I can't look at the damn thing without seeing that! :P It's worrying how much it looks like that.

The logo's terrible. How the hell someone could justify paying £400,000 for it is unbelievable. I know brand identities do usually cost ridiculous amounts of money, but at least they're not usually as bad as this. It's meant to be modern, but it looks like something straight out of the 80s or early 90s. Are they going on the assumption that as styles continually come back into fashion, the 80s will be in again by 2012?!

Apparently now that the logo's been registered with the Olympic Committee, it can't be changed. But it needs to be! It's been ridiculed both, well, Home and Away *sings*, and the animation of it, which the designers said was crucial to the brand, has affected people with epilepsy. Whichever way you look at it, it's a mess.

^^ Yeah, it is, Tasha. (Nice name change, by the way!) If you look at it really closely, you can see '2012' in the design of the logo... but it's rather crap, IMO.

lol, thank you Jess :) I just had a look at the logo again, i now see the 2012, but the 0 looks like a map of Australia :lol: or is it just me?

And why are we all dying in 2019??

Well, I thought we were all dying in 2012... my memory is iffy (as usual) but it has something to do with an ancient Mayan calendar that stops in that year... It could be a coincidence, or it could be that we're all doooooomed... :wacko:

Archived