Chasers War On Everything

Guest Sam =)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved The Chaser Decides other night: "Just days away now from what promises to be the most closely fought battle for votes in the history of this country." "But enough about Australian Idol..." :D

I wish I'd seen this during the last two elections, but it wasn't really relevant to me then.

You guys watch CNNNN when it was on? I loved their coverage of the Lunchgate scandal, where Dwight Maloney was pursued by police after he left for work without his lunch. That's the reason why CNNNN is so much funnier than Frontline - you don't need to go behind the scenes to laugh at how fabricated the stories are.

• 11 months later...

Chaser boys sit pretty as $6m deal nears

THE CHASER boys are close to signing a $6million deal with the ABC that will see them return to screens next year.

It is understood they will produce a 10-part series after considering offers from the three commercial networks. Under the deal, they will keep 100 per cent of the royalties from the back catalogue of their top-selling DVDs.

The Chaser's War On Everything was one of the ABC's best performers last year, drawing about 1.5 million viewers a week. The episode featuring the infamous APEC stunt attracted more than 2 million viewers.

The multimillion-dollar deal is believed to be a record for an Australian comedy, eclipsing the $3million Channel Seven paid for the fourth series of Kath & Kim, which it lured from the ABC.

Chris Taylor — one-fifth of the Chaser team that includes Julian Morrow, Chas Licciardello, Craig Reucassel and Andrew Hansen — played coy on the deal last week, answering with trademark humour. "We're still in talks with the ABC, hoping to finalise a deal soon, but we haven't shut the door on the commercial networks altogether," Taylor said.

"We've just learnt that Channel Seven has picked up the rights to the American version of The Chaser — it stars Molly Shannon in the role of Andrew Hansen and, by all accounts, it's a ratings winner. We're hoping it runs at least three weeks on Channel 7 before they pull it."

Last week Seven yanked the US version of Kath & Kim due to poor ratings.

As well as the new series for the ABC, the Chaser boys are also behind a new six-part series set to air on the public broadcaster, Lawrence Leung's Choose Your Own Adventure. The comedy is in post-production and is scheduled to air next year.

ABC management declined to comment on the new deal.

Copy of article with photo can be found here.

"We've just learnt that Channel Seven has picked up the rights to the American version of The Chaser — it stars Molly Shannon in the role of Andrew Hansen and, by all accounts, it's a ratings winner. We're hoping it runs at least three weeks on Channel 7 before they pull it."

LOL.

Can't wait to see them again. No way they would go to the Commercial networks, remember their pilot for Channel 9, "The Chaser's War on Everything (except sponsors)."

Did anyone see that Charles Firth doco on SBS the other night? I missed it, but I'd love to hear some of the vox pops he would have done.

• 6 months later...

The "Make a Realistic Wish Foundation" sketch - the response reminds me of the Eulogy Song two years ago, but then it could be argued that people had misinterpreted it. The song was about people who were disproportionately being hailed as saints after death no matter what the media had said about them when they were alive - therefore, it was targeting the media for ignoring their prior comments.

There is no such defence for Wednesday night's sketch. I'd like to believe they were targeting people callous enough to think like that, but they never made that clear.

Admittedly, I did chuckle at the concept of a "Make a Realistic Wish Foundation," but their attempt at crossing the line twice backfired horribly. That said, it was not the worst sketch of the night. I cannot believe no one has commented on the "Inbredy Bunch."

Archived