The Heart Brings You Back

Guest Stevie

Chapter 15

“Boy, I wasn’t expecting that,” Dan said as they returned home.

“Really Dan?” Amanda replied, sounding surprised.

“What do you mean?” Dan asked.

“Well your parents aren’t the easiest people to get along with,” Amanda replied, matter-of-factly. “Plus they always have a go at Peter, with the whole ‘you abandoned us’ crap they lay on him.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Dan agreed, “but I thought you and my mum were getting on well.”

“Oh yeah, we were, just forget I said anything,” she replied, feigning innocence.

“No, what happened,” he asked, sounding concerned.

“It’s nothing,” Amanda replied, looking away from Dan.

“Come on Amanda, tell me,” Dan urged.

“Ok, it’s just she said…” She began, but paused.

“She said what?” Dan asked.

“She said that I wasn’t good enough for you.” She replied as she turned away, faking a look of shame.

“She said what?!” Dan roared as he headed for the door.

“Dan don’t worry about it, it’s ok,” she assured him.

“No it isn’t!” He began, but stopped when the babysitter came into the room.

“Oh, sorry, I didn’t mean to interrupt,” she said shyly. “I just put Ryan to bed.”

“Oh, thanks Bethany.” Amanda replied.

“That’s ok, I didn’t think you’d be home this early.” She added.

“Yeah, well, we had a change of plan.” Amanda responded. “Look you can go now, with full pay of course.”

“Ok, thanks Mrs Baker.” Bethany replied.

“Here’s your pay,” Amanda told her, as she handed her some money.

“Ok, thanks,” Bethany said cheerfully, “bye Mrs Baker, Mr Baker.”

“Bye,” they said at once, closing the door behind her.

Amanda stood behind Dan and began to give him a neck massage. “Have you calmed down now?” She asked, as Dan’s anger slowly washed away with her soothing touch.

“I guess so,” he replied, “but that doesn’t mean I’m not still angry at her.”

“I know Dan,” Amanda agreed. “Why don’t you give Peter a call and see how he’s doing?”

“Yeah, ok, good idea.” Dan replied, reaching for the phone.

He dialled the phone, but no one was answering. Finally Peter picked up.

“Hey Peter, it’s Dan,” he began. “You’re where? Ok, I’m coming to meet you.”

Dan hung up. “He’s at the pub, so I’m going to go and check on him.” He told Amanda.

“Ok,” Amanda replied.

Dan checked his pockets and found his car keys. “I shouldn’t be too late,” he told her as he kissed her and walked out the door.

Amanda stood alone for a few seconds and then headed towards Ryan’s room to check on her son. She stopped when she heard a knock at the door. Instead she turned around and went to answer it. As she opened the door, a look of shock appeared on Amanda’s face.

“Mum?!” She stammered.

“Yes darling,” The woman replied. “It’s me.”

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chapter 16

“Mum! What are you doing here?” Amanda stammered, still trying to get over the shock of seeing her mother at her door.

“What else? I’m here to see my daughter and my favourite grandson.” She replied, “where is little Ryan?”

“He’s in bed!” Amanda snapped, “where else would he be at this time of night?”

“Oh yes,” her mother responded. “How silly of me.”

Amanda folded her arms as she looked sternly at her mother. Why was she really here? She thought to herself. Kitty Vale never cared about anyone but herself.

“Are you just going to keep me standing here Amanda?” Kitty asked as she let herself in.

Amanda shut the door and followed her in.

“Why are you really here mum?” Amanda demanded, losing her patience. “I thought you were shooting a movie… on the other side of the country.”

“We finished up,” Kitty explained. “So I decided to come for a visit.”

Amanda didn’t say anything. She couldn’t believe her mother was here. She and Kitty did not have a good relationship. Whenever they saw each other they would usually end up fighting. It had been this way ever since she was young. When she got pregnant at the age of fourteen her mother did not approve, and when she lost the baby her mother didn’t even seem to care. When Amanda and her sister Kelli were involved in a car accident, Kitty blamed her. But she didn’t care, all she cared about was her acting career, not her kids. So the last person Amanda wanted to see was her mother.

“And I was wondering…” Kitty began, deciding to break the awkward silence, “…if I could stay here.”

Amanda let out a frustrated sigh, and there it was, she thought. Her mother did want something from her.

“I don’t think so Mum,” Amanda replied coldly.

“Please Amanda,” Kitty begged, “I have nowhere else to go.”

“One night,” Amanda replied angrily, as she gave in. “You can stay tonight, but that’s all.”

“Ok, fair enough,” Kitty said glumly.

Dan walked into the pub and began to scan the room for Peter. Finally he saw him, he was sitting alone at the bar.

“Hey mate, how are you going?” Dan asked as he sat down next to his brother.

“I’m fine Dan!” Peter snapped.

“Forgive me if I don’t believe you Pete,” Dan replied sceptically.

“I’m never going to be good enough for them Dan,” Peter replied, on the verge of tears.

“They do care about you Pete,” Dan assured him, putting his hand on his shoulder.

“They have a funny way of showing it,” Peter pointed out. “Plus, what would you know, you’re the perfect son.”

“Look…” Dan began, but stopped when he realised that Peter’s gaze was concentrated somewhere else.

Dan turned around to see what he was looking at and saw a woman at the end of the bar.

“Ooo Pete, you like her, hey?” Dan joked, “why don’t you go introduce yourself.”

“That’s Christy Curtis,” Peter replied.

“What? You’re high school girlfriend?” Dan asked as he spun back around to look at Peter. “The one who just left town without saying goodbye?”

“Yeah,” Peter responded, “I’m going to go talk to her.”

“Are you sure?” Dan asked sceptically. “You might get hurt again.”

“I’m going to talk to her Dan,” Peter told him, “I’m not going to marry her.”

“Ok then….” Dan replied uneasily, “if you’re sure.”

“I am,” Peter assured him. “I’ll catch you later.”

“Ok, see you later,” Dan said as he headed off.

Peter made his way over to his high school sweetheart. She looked just as good as she did then. He couldn’t believe she was actually here. Maybe he would finally find out why she left all those years ago.

“Hi Christy,” he stammered.

She spun around to see who it was. “Peter!” She replied, reeling in shock.

“Yeah,” he replied, as he stared at her face. He was in awe of her beauty. “You look good.”

“Thanks,” she said with an awkward smile. “So do you Pete.”

“It’s good to see you,” Peter said. “So…umm…what brings you to LA?”

“I’m on holidays with my boyfriend and his kids.” She replied.

With those words it felt as though someone had reached into his chest and ripped out his heart. Again! He didn’t understand why he felt this way or what he thought was going to happen. All he knew was it brought back the pain he felt as a teenager.

“Look Peter, I have to go,” she said, obviously trying to get away from him.

“Wait!” Peter said, grabbing her arm.

“What Peter?!” She snapped, “I have to meet my boyfriend.”

“That’s not it,” Peter argued, knowing full well that she was hiding something. “What’s going on?”

“Ok!” She surrendered. “Peter, there’s something I have to tell you.”

Note: I'm confused about Christy's name (whether it is Christy or Jazz) so I decided to call her Christy, because I believe that to be her real name :D So I'm going with Christy.

Yay she's going to tell Pete bout Drew :D

Do I get the feeling that this is going to be where Pete tells Mandy about Drew and they sleep together :P (the scene Many talked about in Home And Away when Mandy was telling Dan after Peter had "died" about how she knew about Drew all those years ago)

Update soon I loved it

Lil: You'll just have to wait and see :D

Jane: Don't worry, you know how much I hate Kelli :P

here we go

Chapter 17

When Peter returned home that night, he was still reeling from the news. Since he left the bar, he had been walking around aimlessly for over an hour. He had been going over everything in his head. How could this have happened? Why didn’t she tell him? What was he going to do? Now that he was home, still none of this seemed clear. Then he thought to himself, if I hadn’t have gone up to her, I could have spent my whole life not knowing. That thought scared him, but not as much as what Christy had told him.

When he saw Christy at the bar, he was flooded with old feelings. He really did love her all those years ago. They talked about spending their lives together. He thought she was the one, but he was naïve. No matter how happy he was when he was with her, it didn’t make up for the pain he felt when he lost her. That day had been replaying in his head over and over again all night.

He went to her house to see her, but he was shocked to see a ‘For Sale’ sign out the front. He knocked on the door. There was no answer. He knocked again. Still nothing. He then looked in the window and was shocked by what he saw. Nothing! There was not one thing left in the house. It was empty! She had left and she didn’t even tell him. He stood there, heartbroken, wondering what had gone wrong.

She did end up writing him a letter saying goodbye, but no explanation. However, it did not make up for the pain he had felt. That day had never made sense to him, that was, until now. Now he understood why she had left, Now he understood why she gave no explanation. But he still didn’t understand why she couldn’t tell him.

He had been going over the night’s events in his head and her revelation was stuck on repeat. He could hear her saying the words over and over again. “Peter, you have a son!”

When Dan left Peter at the bar, he never made it to the door. Instead he made his way over to a table where Blake Silver and a bunch of other guys were sitting.

“Hey Blake,” Dan said, approaching the table.

“Hey Dan,” Blake replied. “You want to place a bet?”

“You bet!” Dan exclaimed as the table erupted with laughter at the pun.

When Dan arrived home he was not in a good mood. He had lost money tonight gambling, but he made the decision not to tell Amanda. As he entered the house he was greeted by his wife, who was looking rather panicked.

“Dan there’s something I have to tell you,” she began.

But before she could finish her mother entered the room. Dan looked at her in disbelief.

“Hello Dan,” Kitty said.

“Kitty!” He exclaimed, “what the hell are you doing here?”

“Is that any way to speak to your mother-in-law?” She rebutted.

“Dan come with me and I’ll explain everything,” Amanda said as she pulled him into the kitchen.

Chapter 18

“It’s just for tonight Dan, I promise.” Amanda told him after she had explained why Kitty was there.

“It had better be,” Dan replied. “You know I don’t like her.”

“Yes Dan, I do.” Amanda answered.

“Plus you feel the same way.” He added. “You know, she never cared about you when you were a kid.”

“I know Dan,” Amanda agreed. “Tomorrow she will check into a hotel.”

Then Kitty walked into the room. “Sorry to interrupt,” she said, “but I’m going to head off to bed now, goodnight.”

“Night,” Amanda replied as she tried to hide her disapproval at her mother being there.

Once Kitty had left the room, Dan and Amanda looked at each other and sighed. Somehow, neither of them thought that getting rid of Kitty Vale would be that easy.

Peter emerged from the bathroom with just a towel around his waist. The shower had done him good. His mind was much clearer now. He had gotten his head around everything. He had a son. “His name is Andrew,” she had told him, “and he has just started boarding school, back in Australia.”

But there was one thing that was still troubling him. It was something else Christy had told him. She explained that she was leaving their son in boarding school, because she had a new family now, with her husband and his kids, and Andrew wasn’t a part of it! He just didn’t understand how she could do this to their son. One thing was for sure, Peter wasn’t going to abandon him. With that, Peter headed off to his bedroom to get ready for bed. He had to get some sleep, he had a feeling that tomorrow would be a big day for him.

Archived